[Q&A] Noob -Friendly Q&A Help Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Search This thread

Saber

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
[SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]
gObca2T.png

Google Pixel

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to Google Pixel
attachment.php
List of supporters
...​
To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Last edited:

drmjp93

Jul 14, 2012
Gandhinagar
Can we expect the same Custom RoM and kernels like Nexus 5 support for Pixel, I mean to ask if Pixel is Open enough for developers to develop roms and kernel

Bruce Lee

Jan 20, 2011
Ohio
plus.google.com
Can we expect the same Custom RoM and kernels like Nexus 5 support for Pixel, I mean to ask if Pixel is Open enough for developers to develop roms and kernel

Depends. As with other phones, the cost to upgrade for some is a big deal or just don't choose to. I am no developer, but in the past Nexus phones from personal experience, they were open enough. Google welcomes tinkering. Just the fact work has already been done on the bootloader and for root is impressive. But remember, the developers all volunteer their time to this site. We should be grateful. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: exad
Oct 31, 2016
Dallas
Noob questions since they're allowed. :D

Im glad this is here newb thread here! I have a Pixel and love it so far. One thing Im trying to understand is exactly what a kernel is? Is the "boot" image and the kernel the same thing? Can i flash any of the Pixel kernels on my Verizon Pixel?

Thx! :)

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Im glad this is here newb thread here! I have a Pixel and love it so far. One thing Im trying to understand is exactly what a kernel is? Is the "boot" image and the kernel the same thing? Can i flash any of the Pixel kernels on my Verizon Pixel?

What is a kernel? Is a very generic Android question
try Www.rootjunky.com he has some general Android videos
bootloader will need to be unlocked before flashing different kernels, and still will need to be careful about compatibility

Sent from my XT1254 using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

http://www.rootjunky.com/learn-android/

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

when in doubt ask in the specific kernel thread about compatibility

Last edited:
Reactions: Saber and Bruce Lee

nednednerb

Oct 30, 2011
Vancouver
youtube.com

Remember Windows 95? Remember how it ran on DOS 3.1 (a command prompt)?

A kernel is like DOS and Nougat 7.1 is like windows but Android is based on Linux, not Microsoft Windows...

A kernel is like a command engine that goes between hardware and the upper level user software.

That's simplified, but so it goes..

The boot image does hold the kernel, and some other stuff perhaps. The kernel needs to load pretty much as soon as powering device, then the Operating System loads

Sent from my sailfish using XDA Labs

Last edited:

kyle2blue

May 12, 2009
Can you clear the recent file history from the download app? I tried clicking on the file in there and deleting, but that deletes the actual file.

nednednerb

Oct 30, 2011
Vancouver
youtube.com
Can you clear the recent file history from the download app? I tried clicking on the file in there and deleting, but that deletes the actual file.

When you're in the "Downloads app" you are actually looking directly at the /sdcard/Downloads/ folder. That download app is just a simple file browser. If you hit the upper left menu button in the downloads app, you'll see what I mean. A list of locations.. It isn't just a history log but a browser, to repeat for emphasis....

Does that make sense?

I think you might be able to clear any history or cache from a web browser app, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Cheers, nerB

kyle2blue

May 12, 2009
When you're in the "Downloads app" you are actually looking directly at the /sdcard/Downloads/ folder. That download app is just a simple file browser. If you hit the upper left menu button in the downloads app, you'll see what I mean. A list of locations.. It isn't just a history log but a browser, to repeat for emphasis....

Does that make sense?

I think you might be able to clear any history or cache from a web browser app, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Cheers, nerB

Okay, thanks. I moved files from my internal storage to my drive, I just didn't want those files to be shown.

magicfajita

Oct 2, 2016
I feel like this may be a stupid question but is it possible to edit build prop with the current root method for Google pixel? I have tried using a few different root file managers and editing the build prop, but every time I reboot the build prop reverts back to its original form. Is there any other way to edit the build prop yet? Maybe using adb? But how would I go about doing that?

tcbj

Oct 22, 2007
I feel like this may be a stupid question but is it possible to edit build prop with the current root method for Google pixel? I have tried using a few different root file managers and editing the build prop, but every time I reboot the build prop reverts back to its original form. Is there any other way to edit the build prop yet? Maybe using adb? But how would I go about doing that?

There will be, I'm sure. Even if you could find a way to do it, I wouldn't yet. The development community is still starting up, and if something goes wrong, you may not be able to fix it. Have patience, these things will come, they always do.

inscythe

Dec 22, 2010
OnePlus 6
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
Anyone had any experience using the Pixel Switch feature, coming from other Android device? I'm wondering whether it will transfer app data properly, especially messaging apps like LINE.

nednednerb

Oct 30, 2011
Vancouver
youtube.com
Anyone had any experience using the Pixel Switch feature, coming from other Android device? I'm wondering whether it will transfer app data properly, especially messaging apps like LINE.

Use a high quality cable that isn't old and worn and you should be able to transfer most data successfully. If not everything you want transfers, I recommend a backup app like My Backup or Titanium Backup

Reactions: inscythe

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I haven't had trouble editing the build.prop with es file manager's RB Text Editor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]
    gObca2T.png

Google Pixel

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to Google Pixel
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
    Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    Just got my bootloader unlocked with dePixel8 (on phone #2)!! Thanks to everyone on here who helped out. Turning off WiFi was the key to it all. I actually kept the SIM in with no issues.

SCREW YOU, VERIZON!!

:laugh:

Nope. Without the original account info you won't get into the phone. It is Google's Factory Reset Protection. Keeps people from stealing a phone and doing a factory reset on it. You need to log in with the original account, then go into settings and hit accounts and remove it.

There is no way around it.
    Is the Google Pixel a stock Android phone?
    I'd say the short answer is no. It's Google's tweaks on top of stock Android.
    So I have a Verizon Pixel. Bootloader unlocked, rooted and twrp RC 1 installed. I'm still on 7.1 anyway to update without a PC and without losing my root / messing with my unlocked bootloader

Nothing you do will mess with unlock, unless you manually lock it yourself. Which is really bad, you might hard brick.

You can download the ota from google and sideload it with TWRP. But you will need a PC to reroot and reTWRP.