FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q&A] Noob -Friendly Q&A Help Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

4,025 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,397

By Saber, Recognized Contributor on 28th October 2016, 12:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
Specific to

Google Pixel

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to Google Pixel
List of supporters
To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Saber For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Saber Ad-Free
28th October 2016, 12:52 AM |#2  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 8,397

Donate to Me
More
Reserved 1
29th October 2016, 05:13 AM |#3  
Flag Gandhinagar
Thanks Meter: 235

More
Can we expect the same Custom RoM and kernels like Nexus 5 support for Pixel, I mean to ask if Pixel is Open enough for developers to develop roms and kernel
29th October 2016, 07:00 AM |#4  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 422

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp93

Can we expect the same Custom RoM and kernels like Nexus 5 support for Pixel, I mean to ask if Pixel is Open enough for developers to develop roms and kernel

Depends. As with other phones, the cost to upgrade for some is a big deal or just don't choose to. I am no developer, but in the past Nexus phones from personal experience, they were open enough. Google welcomes tinkering. Just the fact work has already been done on the bootloader and for root is impressive. But remember, the developers all volunteer their time to this site. We should be grateful. Just my 2 cents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Lee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bruce Lee Ad-Free
31st October 2016, 07:45 AM |#5  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Noob questions since they're allowed. :D
Im glad this is here newb thread here! I have a Pixel and love it so far. One thing Im trying to understand is exactly what a kernel is? Is the "boot" image and the kernel the same thing? Can i flash any of the Pixel kernels on my Verizon Pixel?

Thx!
31st October 2016, 07:52 PM |#6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLilTechPrincess

Im glad this is here newb thread here! I have a Pixel and love it so far. One thing Im trying to understand is exactly what a kernel is? Is the "boot" image and the kernel the same thing? Can i flash any of the Pixel kernels on my Verizon Pixel?

Thx!

What is a kernel? Is a very generic Android question
try Www.rootjunky.com he has some general Android videos
bootloader will need to be unlocked before flashing different kernels, and still will need to be careful about compatibility

Sent from my XT1254 using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

http://www.rootjunky.com/learn-android/

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

when in doubt ask in the specific kernel thread about compatibility

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
1st November 2016, 02:23 AM |#7  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 248

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLilTechPrincess

Thx!

Remember Windows 95? Remember how it ran on DOS 3.1 (a command prompt)?

A kernel is like DOS and Nougat 7.1 is like windows but Android is based on Linux, not Microsoft Windows...

A kernel is like a command engine that goes between hardware and the upper level user software.

That's simplified, but so it goes..

The boot image does hold the kernel, and some other stuff perhaps. The kernel needs to load pretty much as soon as powering device, then the Operating System loads

Sent from my sailfish using XDA Labs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nednednerb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nednednerb Ad-Free
2nd November 2016, 08:51 PM |#8  

More
Can you clear the recent file history from the download app? I tried clicking on the file in there and deleting, but that deletes the actual file.
3rd November 2016, 08:16 AM |#9  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 248

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle2blue

Can you clear the recent file history from the download app? I tried clicking on the file in there and deleting, but that deletes the actual file.

When you're in the "Downloads app" you are actually looking directly at the /sdcard/Downloads/ folder. That download app is just a simple file browser. If you hit the upper left menu button in the downloads app, you'll see what I mean. A list of locations.. It isn't just a history log but a browser, to repeat for emphasis....

Does that make sense?

I think you might be able to clear any history or cache from a web browser app, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Cheers, nerB

Sent from my sailfish using XDA Labs
3rd November 2016, 08:21 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb

When you're in the "Downloads app" you are actually looking directly at the /sdcard/Downloads/ folder. That download app is just a simple file browser. If you hit the upper left menu button in the downloads app, you'll see what I mean. A list of locations.. It isn't just a history log but a browser, to repeat for emphasis....

Does that make sense?

I think you might be able to clear any history or cache from a web browser app, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Cheers, nerB

Okay, thanks. I moved files from my internal storage to my drive, I just didn't want those files to be shown.
4th November 2016, 06:46 PM |#11  
Flag Dallas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb

Remember Windows 95? Remember how it ran on DOS 3.1 (a command prompt)?

Haha, I had to Google DOS. I've heard of Windows 95. Either way, thx for the explanation. That makes sense.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any questions, help thread, noob friendly, questions and answers, troubleshooting

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)