FORUMS

Integrating Google Voice voicemail into Google phone app

1,714 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,244

By shinesthru, Senior Member on 6th May 2017, 09:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I used to be able to choose Google voice within my phone app instead of "your carrier", and I could access my voicemail through the phone. This is no longer working. I'm running 7.1.2, on a fresh install with all newly installed apps. Any ideas?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to shinesthru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shinesthru Ad-Free
8th May 2017, 05:20 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 5,019

Donate to Me
More
I was wondering if anyone else would ever notice. It's been this way ever since they updated to Google Voice to v5.x, and has been the same on any of the devices I've used. A workaround I use every time which works is to:

Quote:

1. Uninstall the newer Google Voice (temporarily). Prior to uninstalling, I wipe the app's Cache and Data too as a precaution, so I can't report on the results of following these steps without doing that.
2. Go to the APKMirror website and download the latest Google Voice v4.x APK, something like v4.7.10.
3. With Unknown Sources checked in the Security Settings on your phone, install and fully setup the old Google Voice version, including setting your Phone app to use Google Voice for voicemails.
4. Once it's all setup, you can update Google Voice to your heart's content. Note that if you go into the Phone Voicemail settings you'll see that it still doesn't give you an option to select Google Voice, but you'll also notice that it appears as if the only setting it now shows (Carrier) is not selected either, so the setting is retained even though you can't select it with the newer Google Voice installed.
5. Re-disable "Unknown Sources" if you wish.

I've made calls to and from my wife's phone with this same workaround set up on both of our phones and it has never failed, yet. Hopefully Google doesn't do something to make at least this stop working, and how in the world is there not more complaints about this behavior?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roirraW "edor" ehT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift roirraW "edor" ehT Ad-Free
9th May 2017, 03:47 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag St. Paul, MN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roirraW "edor" ehT

I was wondering if anyone else would ever notice. It's been this way ever since they updated to Google Voice to v5.x, and has been the same on any of the devices I've used. A workaround I use every time which works is to:

1. Uninstall the newer Google Voice (temporarily). Prior to uninstalling, I wipe the app's Cache and Data too as a precaution, so I can't report on the results of following these steps without doing that.
2. Go to the APKMirror website and download the latest Google Voice v4.x APK, something like v4.7.10.
3. With Unknown Sources checked in the Security Settings on your phone, install and fully setup the old Google Voice version, including setting your Phone app to use Google Voice for voicemails.
4. Once it's all setup, you can update Google Voice to your heart's content. Note that if you go into the Phone Voicemail settings you'll see that it still doesn't give you an option to select Google Voice, but you'll also notice that it appears as if the only setting it now shows (Carrier) is not selected either, so the setting is retained even though you can't select it with the newer Google Voice installed.

I've made calls to and from my wife's phone with this same workaround set up on both of our phones and it has never failed, yet. Hopefully Google doesn't do something to make at least this stop working, and how in the world is there not more complaints about this behavior?

Thanks! Appreciate the detailed instructions. I'll give this a shot.

Love the avi, btw. That's one of my favorite films of all time, especially the international cut

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to shinesthru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shinesthru Ad-Free
9th May 2017, 03:48 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag St. Paul, MN

More
That worked!
9th May 2017, 12:33 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinesthru

Thanks! Appreciate the detailed instructions. I'll give this a shot.

Love the avi, btw. That's one of my favorite films of all time, especially the international cut

You're welcome! Yes, it was refreshing that an actual longer cut was even better than what I had already seen and loved. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinesthru

That worked!

Awesome, glad it worked for someone else.
9th May 2017, 01:25 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 126

More
Quote:

I haven't done any of this, but my incoming calls get transfered to Google Voice, and it works just like it should even though it's set to "Carrier" in the phone app.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmartin72 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jmartin72 Ad-Free
9th May 2017, 01:39 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin72

I haven't done any of this, but my incoming calls get transfered to Google Voice, and it works just like it should even though it's set to "Carrier" in the phone app.

I don't know if it makes a difference if people are calling your Google Voice # or your actual carrier number. i.e. Maybe if they are calling your Google Voice number in the first place, it would send them to GV voicemail, versus those who call the actual carrier #. Have you tested both yourself, if you have a way?

Also I don't know if it makes any difference if you've set up the carrier voicemail. I haven't set up a carrier voicemail since my first cell phone, which was only in 2008. I've switched carriers three times since then and I no longer even set up the carrier voicemail. No idea why that would affect it, just putting it out there.

On both my wife's and my HTC 10, and on my Google Pixel through multiple re-flashing stock and various ROMs, by default people get sent to my carrier voicemail that's not set up, so they can't leave a voicemail. I've tested both directions from our phones. Same thing if I directly install and set up Google Voice v5.x without going through the above steps.

Maybe it mysteriously works for some others as well, just as it does for you, which would explain why this issue hasn't been broadcast loudly.

Questions for you to fill in some blanks: Do you keep mobile data on all the time? Do you have Google Voice set to handle all your outgoing calls as well? I assume you're still on Verizon and have you set up your carrier voicemail?
9th May 2017, 01:44 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 126

More
Quote:

I don't know if it makes a difference if people are calling your Google Voice # or your actual carrier number. i.e. Maybe if they are calling your Google Voice number in the first place, it would send them to GV voicemail, versus those who call the actual carrier #. Have you tested both yourself, if you have a way?

Also I don't know if it makes any difference if you've set up the carrier voicemail. I haven't set up a carrier voicemail since my first cell phone, which was only in 2008. I've switched carriers three times since then and I no longer even set up the carrier voicemail. No idea why that would affect it, just putting it out there.

On both my wife's and my HTC 10, and on my Google Pixel through multiple re-flashing stock and various ROMs, by default people get sent to my carrier voicemail that's not set up, so they can't leave a voicemail. I've tested both directions from our phones. Same thing if I directly install and set up Google Voice v5.x without going through the above steps.

Maybe it mysteriously works for some others as well, just as it does for you, which would explain why this issue hasn't been broadcast loudly.

Questions for you to fill in some blanks: Do you keep mobile data on all the time? Do you have Google Voice set to handle all your outgoing calls as well? I assume you're still on Verizon and have you set up your carrier voicemail?

I don't have people call my Google Voice number. I use my cell phone number on Verizon. The only thing I use Google Voice for is the visual voice mail. I don't use Verizons voice mail, and have never set it up. Yes mobile data is on all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmartin72 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jmartin72 Ad-Free
9th May 2017, 01:50 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin72

I don't have people call my Google Voice number. I use my cell phone number on Verizon. The only thing I use Google Voice for is the visual voice mail. I don't use Verizons voice mail, and have never set it up. Yes mobile data is on all the time.

Thanks for the info! I encourage everyone to call/text my Google Voice #, and I keep mobile data/wifi and all other radios off when not in use. Of course occasionally someone might call my real cell # and I'd have to re-test all scenarios for incoming calls again to determine if the people not able to leave a voicemail occurs under all circumstances for me, or only under the most common circumstance in how I use my phone.

Off topic, it's too bad Sprint is the only carrier that has the option to fully integrate with a user's Google Voice #. That was one of the carriers I had switched to at one point, and that was a nice feature. It made it so that even on outgoing calls without mobile data/wifi and/or using GV to make calls, it showed my GV # for my caller ID.
9th May 2017, 02:42 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Hey guys-- thanks for the above info- I found this thread because my Pixel (unlocked and rooted) has started acting all wonky and the phone isn't even working properly at all (it seems). I've been a long term user of GV and that's the number I typically give out for my cell. I did notice some good and some not so good changes with this new version of GV overall, but didn't notice exactly when the phone app went to 5.x - I'm currently running (if you can call it that!) GV 5.014xx and it's not playing nice with my phone app at all.

Accordingly, I'd like to try this work around, but I have a few questions:

- how do you wipe cache & data upon uninstalling an app like GV? I can't even find GV in my phone's Settings>Apps listing...?
-how do I find the apk mirror website?
-can you give me more instructions on how to "including setting your Phone app to use Google Voice for voicemails." ? I'm not familiar with how to get to my phone app's settings to do this...? Also, along this line- you mention that you will see the Phone Voicemail settings still doesn't give you an option to select GV... but I don't even really know where the phone voicemail settings are located?

I bought my Pixel from Google direct, but I run it on VZW.

Thanks for any assistance / further instructions you can provide me here- I greatly appreciate it because I've just backed my phone up (using Titanium Bkup) to prepare it for being re-flashed to the latest & greatest build.

Thanks!
9th May 2017, 02:53 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstgh

Hey guys-- thanks for the above info- I found this thread because my Pixel (unlocked and rooted) has started acting all wonky and the phone isn't even working properly at all (it seems). I've been a long term user of GV and that's the number I typically give out for my cell. I did notice some good and some not so good changes with this new version of GV overall, but didn't notice exactly when the phone app went to 5.x - I'm currently running (if you can call it that!) GV 5.014xx and it's not playing nice with my phone app at all.

Accordingly, I'd like to try this work around, but I have a few questions:

- how do you wipe cache & data upon uninstalling an app like GV? I can't even find GV in my phone's Settings>Apps listing...?

Hi! Go to the Android settings / Apps / select the Google Voice app from the list, choose Storage, then click the buttons to Wipe Cache and Data. FYI, I think when you click Wipe Data it automatically wipes Cache and becomes grayed out, but I try to wipe them in the opposite order just to be paranoid.

This is from memory but this should be really close.

Quote:

-how do I find the apk mirror website?

https://www.google.com/search?q=apkm...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote:

-can you give me more instructions on how to "including setting your Phone app to use Google Voice for voicemails." ? I'm not familiar with how to get to my phone app's settings to do this...? Also, along this line- you mention that you will see the Phone Voicemail settings still doesn't give you an option to select GV... but I don't even really know where the phone voicemail settings are located?

Launch the phone app, click the three-dot menu button in the upper-right corner, choose Settings, choose Calls, choose Voicemail, the rest should be self-explanatory.

Quote:

I bought my Pixel from Google direct, but I run it on VZW.

Thanks for any assistance / further instructions you can provide me here- I greatly appreciate it because I've just backed my phone up (using Titanium Bkup) to prepare it for being re-flashed to the latest & greatest build.

Thanks!

You're welcome! Yep, just don't bother restoring your backup of Google Voice - start from scratch with the old Google Voice v4.7, and if you back up system settings including for Phone, don't restore that either. For what it's worth, when GV v5.x first came out several months ago, I was on Verizon, but I'm on AT&T now. The same workaround was necessary for my wife and I on both carriers.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)