Pixel randomly locks while in use, even in safe mode.

Search This thread

wilsonic

Sep 12, 2012
A few weeks after I got my Pixel I started experiencing random screen locks while I'm holding and using the phone.

I have it set to Auto lock after 1 minute of activity but this can happen sometimes immediately after unlocking with the finger print scanner. Ive only noticed it happening while on my hour train commute but that could just be because that's where I'm using it the most consistently.

I talked to Google support via chat and they suggested booting into safe mode to see if it's a third party app causing the issue. Ive currently been using safe mode for an hour and it has happened but only once when it first rebooted.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've contacted Google support again and will update if they find anything.

Thanks

WillJitsu

Jun 7, 2010
Memphis
I have experienced this several times. I can't pinpoint what's causing it. I'm just glad someone else is seeing this happen as well. Hopefully someone gets to the bottom of it.

nednednerb

Oct 30, 2011
Vancouver
youtube.com
I use an app "Always On" which has a "timeout" feature.

The app uses AMOLED ambient display to put a clock and notifications on the screen.

I use it when going to bed or at night. The timeout feature uses Device Administrator access and causes the screen to go fully off after a while. Sometimes the app causes the Devices Administrator requires password "error," definitely.

I will test more and report, but earlier in week I noticed screen go off as you describe, as I've noticed now and again too, and I realized it was maybe exactly 3 hours since I freshly set a 3 hr timeout in Always On. At that point I was using my phone when the device locked.

Hmm.

Sent from my sailfish using XDA Labs

tejasm1

Apr 12, 2015
Google Pixel 6 Pro
A few weeks after I got my Pixel I started experiencing random screen locks while I'm holding and using the phone.

I have it set to Auto lock after 1 minute of activity but this can happen sometimes immediately after unlocking with the finger print scanner. Ive only noticed it happening while on my hour train commute but that could just be because that's where I'm using it the most consistently.

I talked to Google support via chat and they suggested booting into safe mode to see if it's a third party app causing the issue. Ive currently been using safe mode for an hour and it has happened but only once when it first rebooted.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've contacted Google support again and will update if they find anything.

Thanks

Maybe a magnet causing interference? http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/11/the-google-pixel-and-pixel-xls-screens-react-to-magnets.html

Jesslovestexas

Mar 19, 2019
I know this is an old thready but this blew my mind too! I think my juul is causing it, as it has a magnet on the end to snap to the charger. Never would've put two and two together. Thank you!

djdole

Mar 30, 2011
P4xl - Same random screen locking symptoms, NOT MAGNET related.

All of the responses in this describe the symptoms of the problem I have with my Pixel4xl, but not the description of the cause.
I most DEFINITELY do not have any magnets within any proximity to my phone.
It only has an Otterbox case, and will often lock when being actively used, while behind held at least 6" from any other object (except my hands).

Is anyone else experiencing this (non-magnet related issue)?

ni4rkx

Oct 13, 2012
All of the responses in this describe the symptoms of the problem I have with my Pixel4xl, but not the description of the cause.
I most DEFINITELY do not have any magnets within any proximity to my phone.
It only has an Otterbox case, and will often lock when being actively used, while behind held at least 6" from any other object (except my hands).

Is anyone else experiencing this (non-magnet related issue)?
Yes I have the same issue where the phone locks itself randomly on 4XL. No idea what's going on I have a fabric case... Very annoying it happens all the time

clarinetJWD

Jan 11, 2020
I also have the same issue on the Pixel 4. No case, I'm sitting on my couch, no magnet within 6 feet, no electronics other than a remote control, yet my phone just sometimes locks.

bmedeiros

Aug 26, 2020
I had the same issue on my Pixel XL. Didn't think twice about it since it was an older phone, probably a bug with new os/old phone. But i just upgraded to the Pixel 4a and the same thing is happening! Is it related to smart unlock? The weather? Mars in retrograde?

djdole

Mar 30, 2011
Hey guys make sure your buttons arent stuck to the frame

Definitely not the cause for me.
In my Otterbox case, when pressed, the volume buttons cause the volume interface to appear (which isn't happening),
and the power button has a distinct click when pressed (and when held, activates the nfc card payment interface).
A good guess, but unfortunately isn't the cause, in my situation. ??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks

Maybe a magnet causing interference? http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/11/the-google-pixel-and-pixel-xls-screens-react-to-magnets.html