FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Pixel won't charge until rebooted.

3,359 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,641

By sn0warmy, Senior Member on 6th November 2016, 05:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm experiencing a weird issue with my Pixel. Occasionally, I'll plug the phone into the OEM charger and it won't charge at all. Trying different outlets doesn't solve the issue but as soon as I reboot the phone and plug it in, it charges just fine. It's a strange issue I haven't encountered with any previous phone. Curious if others have experienced this?
The Following User Says Thank You to sn0warmy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sn0warmy Ad-Free
7th November 2016, 01:05 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Alabama
Thanks Meter: 2,188

Donate to Me
More
Exact same issue here over the last few days.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
7th November 2016, 01:34 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
That's weird
Did you tried to switch from another adapter ?
7th November 2016, 03:59 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Alabama

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegear

That's weird
Did you tried to switch from another adapter ?

In my case, I have a 2nd charger from SONEic that is an approved USB-C to USB-C that works flawlessly. However, like the OP said, my Google charger will ding like it's charging once connected, then stop charging 1 second later. It will repeat that endless dinging ever few seconds until I reboot it. Never happens with my SONEic charger. Once rebooted, the Google charger works fine. Very annoying.

I've tried unplugging everything, turning the cable around, etc., Only a reboot works.

7th November 2016, 04:58 PM |#5  
Washington D.C.
Thanks Meter: 261

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jank4AU

In my case, I have a 2nd charger from SONEic that is an approved USB-C to USB-C that works flawlessly. However, like the OP said, my Google charger will ding like it's charging once connected, then stop charging 1 second later. It will repeat that endless dinging ever few seconds until I reboot it. Never happens with my SONEic charger. Once rebooted, the Google charger works fine. Very annoying.

I've tried unplugging everything, turning the cable around, etc., Only a reboot works.

I had this problem of start/stop/start charging with a reliable 1A charger and a usb A-to-C cable. A reboot would fix it. I ended up switching to another 2.4A charger (not QC) I had around with the same cable and have had no problems since. I still use the smaller charger on an old media phone.
7th November 2016, 05:05 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Alabama

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryby429

I had this problem of start/stop/start charging with a reliable 1A charger and a usb A-to-C cable. A reboot would fix it. I ended up switching to another 2.4A charger (not QC) I had around with the same cable and have had no problems since. I still use the smaller charger on an old media phone.

The problem is, though, that we are experiencing this with the Google charger that came with the phone and NOT secondary chargers. Wonder if the charger is defective...?

8th November 2016, 05:25 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Denver, CO

More
Quote:

The problem is, though, that we are experiencing this with the Google charger that came with the phone and NOT secondary chargers. Wonder if the charger is defective...?

Yeah, it's with the OEM charger. I am starting to think the charger is to blame. Unfortunately, I don't have a secondary fast charger to test with. However, I just updated my phone to the latest NDE63V build. I'll be monitoring closely over the next few days to see if the issue pops up with the OEM charger again or if the software update solves it.
8th November 2016, 06:21 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Alabama

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0warmy

Yeah, it's with the OEM charger. I am starting to think the charger is to blame. Unfortunately, I don't have a secondary fast charger to test with. However, I just updated my phone to the latest NDE63V build. I'll be monitoring closely over the next few days to see if the issue pops up with the OEM charger again or if the software update solves it.

Did you unlock your BL before updating or are you on a Google edition Pixel?

8th November 2016, 06:31 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Denver, CO

More
Quote:

Did you unlock your BL before updating or are you on a Google edition Pixel?

I have the Google unlocked version. I unlocked my bootloader right after unboxing the phone, as I do with all my Nexus (now Pixel) devices.
9th November 2016, 01:39 AM |#10  
Flag Rockland, ME
Thanks Meter: 11

More
This issue has gone away for me with yesterday's update.
10th November 2016, 12:59 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Denver, CO

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjwalter

This issue has gone away for me with yesterday's update.

Yeah, it's been a couple of days now since updating to NDE63V and haven't had any charging issues since. Crossing my fingers that it really was just a software issue. Time will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to sn0warmy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sn0warmy Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)