FORUMS

Re-Run Setup*Wizard

119 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By taimoorhusain, Senior Member on 28th December 2016, 09:28 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I am trying to re-run the setup wizard. I'm aware that I can do a factory reset and it will come up, but id like to not do that. I found an adb command that may launch it :

adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.google.android.setupwizard/.SetupWizardTestActivity*

But that gives me a permission denied error. (Error is at the bottom of the post). Can anyone help me launch the setup wizard after it has*finished?
Alternatively, the only reason I'm trying to do this is to get back the ability to copy stuff over using the quickswitch adapter and cable. if anyone knows how to bring that up without the setup wizard, would be very helpful as well.

Thanks for all your help.

Error :
Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cmp=com.google.android.setupwizard/.SetupWizardTestActivity } java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: starting Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN flg=0x10000000 cmp=com.google.android.setupwizard/.SetupWizardTestActivity } from null (pid=6398, uid=2000) not exported from uid 10037 at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1684) at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1637) at android.app.ActivityManagerProxy.startActivityAsUs er(ActivityManagerNative.java:3137) at com.android.commands.am.Am.runStart(Am.java:635) at com.android.commands.am.Am.onRun(Am.java:388) at com.android.internal.os.BaseCommand.run(BaseComman d.java:51) at com.android.commands.am.Am.main(Am.java:121) at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.nativeFinishIn it(Native Method) at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.main(RuntimeIn it.java:262)
28th December 2016, 01:31 PM |#2  
Flag Mesa AZ
Thanks Meter: 652

More
You need to do a factory reset to do that.
28th December 2016, 06:20 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
I did mention that I was aware that a factory reset would do that, but I would like to avoid that and do it in a different way. I know it can be invoked using adb, and I somehow was able to find the command as well, but didn't seem to work. Anyway, if anyone knows a way to do this without a factory reset, I would highly appreciate it.
28th December 2016, 08:34 PM |#4  
Flag Mesa AZ

More
It won't run unless you factory reset, that is what I was telling you, permissions will be denied otherwise.

The setup wizard only works if there are no accounts already setup on the device and the device is in an unsetup state. That only happens if you factory refresh.
The Following User Says Thank You to krelvinaz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift krelvinaz Ad-Free
1st January 2017, 10:06 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Circling Back
So, just wanted to circle back... Contrary to the above, it is indeed possible*and I was able to do it and reproduce it reliably.*Long story short, it was the following two commands that did the trick :

1. adb shell
su
pm enable com.google.android.setupwizard/com.google.android.setupwizard.SetupWizardActivity

2. adb shell settings put secure user_setup_complete 0

The first command is case sensitive (SetupWizardActivity)

Thanks to this source for the help and guidance : http://android.stackexchange.com/que...g-command-line
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to taimoorhusain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift taimoorhusain Ad-Free
1st January 2017, 01:20 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 265

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimoorhusain

So, just wanted to circle back... Contrary to the above, it is indeed possible*and I was able to do it and reproduce it reliably.*Long story short, it was the following two commands that did the trick :

1. adb shell
su
pm enable com.google.android.setupwizard/com.google.android.setupwizard.SetupWizardActivity

Thanks to this source for the help and guidance : http://android.stackexchange.com/que...g-command-line

Great job! I don't foresee I'd ever need to do something like this; however, I have great appreciation for all forms of ingenuity.
1st January 2017, 01:31 PM |#7  
Flag Mesa AZ

More
Quote:

So, just wanted to circle back... Contrary to the above, it is indeed possible*and I was able to do it and reproduce it reliably

Congrats
7th February 2017, 01:33 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I assume this requires root to enable? Any way around that? Thanks.
23rd February 2017, 08:28 PM |#9  
Flag Pilsen - The City of Beer :)
Thanks Meter: 323

More
Quote:

1. adb shell
su

Thank you, worked like a charm!
6th April 2017, 09:22 AM |#10  
Flag all over
Thanks Meter: 85

More
@taimoorhusain A million thanks!!! You just saved my phone.
16th February 2018, 01:25 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

1. adb shell
su

THANKS A LOT IT WORKED!! You save my day because due to a pixel bug (this one) i was unable to do nothing unless i could open the SetupWizardActivity. Otherwise i would had to restore it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
setupwizardtestactivity

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)