FORUMS

[Guide] Fixing wrong CPU & battery temperature sensor readings (soldering)

125 posts
Thanks Meter: 140

Post Reply Email Thread
Note: this is a hardware fix by soldering a 1 kΩ 1% 0201 inch (0603 metic) into the main board; you'll need a bunch of tools, soldering skills andyour own responsibility if anything goes wrong.

Let me know if need any more info.

The symptom:
If you read the CPU or battery's temperature (any app) it will show 2 to 3 times the real temperature. On my case, it should be reading around 25 ºC (I had a similar working Pixel nearby) while it was showing around 60 ºC. The main problem with this is that the phone will be throttling all the time while perfectly cold. I did not measure any CPU performance, but the battery wouldn't charge more than 10-20 mA per hour while switched off.

The problem:
I guess that while disconnecting the battery I forced a resistor which is (AFAIK) related to the CPU & battery temperature measuring circuit. I had a faulty main board around so I could compare them. Fortunately I found a missing resistor and I could measure it on the faulty MB. The part you will need is a 1.00 kΩ 1% 0201 inch (0603 metic) thik film resistor. I've use a Vishay CRCW02011K00FKTDBC.

The solution:
Just solder another one.

I'm not going to give you much soldering details as I think this out of scope and you'll notice right away if you feel you can do it once you look how tiny these resistor are.
I've used:
- very small tweezers:

- very small 0.2mm soldering tip:

- head mounted magnifying
- etc.

Here is, red highlighted, the resistor that was missing and now soldered. It's on top of battery's socket:

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)