[Guide] How to install June Security Update via Image and retain Data (plus Root)

Search This thread

phonepersonality

Apr 30, 2009
Since the May Security Update, there have been changes.
I won't get into that here, as there are already a number of threads where the new AVB process and what it means for updates and root is discussed at length on this forum.
For example - https://xdaforums.com/android/software-hacking/signing-boot-images-android-verified-t3600606/page16

I'm just going to outline my process for installing the new security updates via full image (Not OTA) and then rooting the phone via TWRP.

A few things to bear in mind first.
You will need to have the following:

0. Know how to use ADB/Fastboot and have them installed. If not, you should please do some research first.
1. Full Image for Pixel (https://developers.google.com/android/ota)
2. TWRP boot image and zip files (https://dl.twrp.me/sailfish/)
3. Latest SuperSU by Chainfire (https://download.chainfire.eu/1021/SuperSU/SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip)
4. VerifiedBootSigner by Chainfire (https://xdaforums.com/android/software-hacking/signing-boot-images-android-verified-t3600606)

Also...I don't make use of the vendor provided flashing scripts, I simply use the script commands and eliminate the '-w' flag manually.

*The SuperSu, TWRP and VerifiedBootSigner zips need to be saved to your phone*

From the bootloader ->

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-sailfish-8996-012001-1704121145.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-sailfish-8996-012901-1702171013.img
fastboot update image-sailfish-njh47b.zip

***The phone will automatically reboot at this phase and you will need to reboot back into the bootloader to continue either by manual means or by using "adb reboot-bootoader"

fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-RC1-fastboot-sailfish.img

from TWRP (using files saved on phone) ->

TWRP install twrp-pixel-installer-sailfish-3.1.0-0RC2.zip
reboot TWRP
TWRP install SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip
TWRP install VerifiedBootSigner-v8.zip
reboot system

Edit - You should also update your SuperSU binary to 2.82 from within the app once you're booted into Android.
You're Done!

DISCLAIMER
I didn't create any of these files or take credit for them in anyway. This is simply an instructional that I hope will help many of you.
It requires some proficiency in using fastboot and TWRP.
If you don't know what you're doing and mess up your device, I take no responsibility for your actions or the results.

Last edited:

churchmice

Nov 20, 2010
The only issue is that after updating the system image the phone will auto reboots so you have no chance to input the fastboot command.

Reactions: phonepersonality

gubacsek

Jun 18, 2010
The only issue is that after updating the system image the phone will auto reboots so you have no chance to input the fastboot command.

You're right.
I should update the instructions about that.
The reboot isn't really an issue, but it does add an additional step and some inconvenience.

fastboot has an option to skip reboot:
--skip-reboot

so the command would be something like: fastboot --skip-reboot update image-sailfish-njh47b.zip

TENN3R

Dec 6, 2014
Italy
Can't we just use ota? Like:
- sideload ota
- let reboot
- reboot bootloader
- boot twrp rc1
- flash twrp rc1
- flash bootloader signer
- reboot recovery
- flash root
- optional kernel
- reboot

I ask because I always did this and never got problems, so if anyone tried/wanna try just let me know

Reactions: sheamolt

phonepersonality

Apr 30, 2009
- sideload ota
- let reboot
- reboot bootloader
- boot twrp rc1
- flash twrp rc1
- reboot recovery
- flash root
- optional kernel
- reboot

I ask because I always did this and never got problems, so if anyone tried/wanna try just let me know

If you'd like.
I don't like to use the OTA files, personally.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
Will the OTA even work with root ? I thought OTA is like taking the update over the air and if the system files are altered it fails ? I recently re-flashed the stock image but I may try this next time. The Pixel has become more difficult to update and in the past when I have even tried to reflash the stock boot it starts wiping my phone.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Will the OTA even work with root ? I thought OTA is like taking the update over the air and if the system files are altered it fails ? I recently re-flashed the stock image but I may try this next time. The Pixel has become more difficult to update and in the past when I have even tried to reflash the stock boot it starts wiping my phone.

That is weird. Never had a problem with my phone being wiped except when flashing other than manually. I always flash mine one at a time, and never have a problem. I like to be in control but I am old lol! I've been wiped before.

Reactions: eduardmc

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
That is weird. Never had a problem with my phone being wiped except when flashing other than manually. I always flash mine one at a time, and never have a problem. I like to be in control but I am old lol! I've been wiped before.

I did manual fastboot commands earlier, not the autoscript, automatically wiped my data.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Not sure what happened. Just pretty much treated like a dirty flash and fastboot flash the image. It must have detected the prior and wiped it. Had the thing rooted which is the only thing I can think of, it was not untouched stock.

TENN3R

Dec 6, 2014
Italy

You can update via ota, but you need to download the zip on your pc and sideload it in twrp. After booted up you can re-mod, keeping your data.
Have you deleted the "-w" near the fastboot command in the factory image "flash-all" file? This causes wipe, if you remove it'll skip wipe.

Reactions: mikeprius

joeybobo

Jul 22, 2008
Did anyone else have to install the TWRP 3.1 zip via USB-OTG? After flashing the full factory image for June 2017, rebooting to system, rebooting to bootloader then running fastboot boot twrp3.0.2-RC1.img, I wasn't prompted to enter my password so my user data remained encrypted and I couldn't install the TWRP 3.1 zip from the internal SD card, had to load it on a usb dongle and mount USB-OTG storage.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
You can update via ota, but you need to download the zip on your pc and sideload it in twrp. After booted up you can re-mod, keeping your data.
Have you deleted the "-w" near the fastboot command in the factory image "flash-all" file? This causes wipe, if you remove it'll skip wipe.

I've tried to take out the -w erase flag. I've also tried to reflash the stock boot in the past when reloading a new kernel. Not sure if it is triggering some kind of system default but it just auto wipes. It's not the end of the world, I have everything backed up, I just have to restore everything. Just have not had any luck

alluringreality

Apr 17, 2011
Does anyone know if once rooted and bootloader signed via this method Netflix becomes available again?

A phone setup according to this thread is not expected to pass the Safetynet check. I've been updating with SuperSU using FlashFire, and my phone just shows Netflix VR in the Play Store. The Magisk discussions are primarily the threads that have been active recently for having root and passing Safetynet.

Pixel discussion:
https://xdaforums.com/pixel/how-to/magisk-pixel-t3573845

Pixel XL discussion:
https://xdaforums.com/pixel-xl/how-to/guide-stock-7-1-2-root-safetynet-ok-t3617347

Last edited:
Reactions: Coronado is dead

Flitskikker

Feb 17, 2013
You can update via ota, but you need to download the zip on your pc and sideload it in twrp.

Could you please elaborate on how to sideload in TWRP? I used to use adb sideload, but maybe your method is easier.

My current steps are:
1) adb reboot recovery
2) adb sideload ota-update.zip
3 Reboot and check if everything is okay (root and TWRP are lost, data are not)
4) adb reboot bootloader
5) fastboot boot TWRP.img
6) Flash TWRP and SuperSU
7) Flash boot signer
8) Reboot

TENN3R

Dec 6, 2014
Italy
Could you please elaborate on how to sideload in TWRP? I used to use adb sideload, but maybe your method is easier.

My current steps are:
1) adb reboot recovery
2) adb sideload ota-update.zip
3 Reboot and check if everything is okay (root and TWRP are lost, data are not)
4) adb reboot bootloader
5) fastboot boot TWRP.img
6) Flash TWRP and SuperSU
7) Flash boot signer
8) Reboot

I use the same method I don't think there are any others

Reactions: Flitskikker

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since the May Security Update, there have been changes.
    I won't get into that here, as there are already a number of threads where the new AVB process and what it means for updates and root is discussed at length on this forum.
    For example - https://xdaforums.com/android/software-hacking/signing-boot-images-android-verified-t3600606/page16

I'm just going to outline my process for installing the new security updates via full image (Not OTA) and then rooting the phone via TWRP.

A few things to bear in mind first.
    You will need to have the following:

0. Know how to use ADB/Fastboot and have them installed. If not, you should please do some research first.
    1. Full Image for Pixel (https://developers.google.com/android/ota)
    2. TWRP boot image and zip files (https://dl.twrp.me/sailfish/)
    3. Latest SuperSU by Chainfire (https://download.chainfire.eu/1021/SuperSU/SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip)
    4. VerifiedBootSigner by Chainfire (https://xdaforums.com/android/software-hacking/signing-boot-images-android-verified-t3600606)

Also...I don't make use of the vendor provided flashing scripts, I simply use the script commands and eliminate the '-w' flag manually.

*The SuperSu, TWRP and VerifiedBootSigner zips need to be saved to your phone*

From the bootloader ->

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-sailfish-8996-012001-1704121145.img
    fastboot flash radio radio-sailfish-8996-012901-1702171013.img
    fastboot update image-sailfish-njh47b.zip

***The phone will automatically reboot at this phase and you will need to reboot back into the bootloader to continue either by manual means or by using "adb reboot-bootoader"

fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-RC1-fastboot-sailfish.img

from TWRP (using files saved on phone) ->

TWRP install twrp-pixel-installer-sailfish-3.1.0-0RC2.zip
    reboot TWRP
    TWRP install SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip
    TWRP install VerifiedBootSigner-v8.zip
    reboot system

Edit - You should also update your SuperSU binary to 2.82 from within the app once you're booted into Android.
    You're Done!

DISCLAIMER
    I didn't create any of these files or take credit for them in anyway. This is simply an instructional that I hope will help many of you.
    It requires some proficiency in using fastboot and TWRP.
    If you don't know what you're doing and mess up your device, I take no responsibility for your actions or the results.
    - sideload ota
    - let reboot
    - reboot bootloader
    - boot twrp rc1
    - flash twrp rc1
    - reboot recovery
    - flash root
    - optional kernel
    - reboot

If you'd like.
    I don't like to use the OTA files, personally.
    - sideload ota
    - let reboot
    - reboot bootloader
    - boot twrp rc1
    - flash twrp rc1
    - reboot recovery
    - flash root
    - optional kernel
    - reboot