[Guide] How to temporarily fix the hardware issue (no sound) on pixels

Search This thread

Pielegz

Aug 10, 2019
So this is a little fix that I found when I was troubleshooting my Google Pixel phone when it was not able to play any sound whatsoever (the 'no sound' issue). My wife and I both have a Pixel phone- she has a Pixel 2 with no issues and I have the first pixel when it first came out.

I've done tremendous research on this issue and it has been reported that it is a hardware issue where there is a micro (hair line) fracture on the motherboard which results in components on the motherboard unable to send signals to one another (which I'm assuming is to do with the sound, also please correct me if I am wrong here). After a few factory resets and tonnes of restarting the phone (+ various other things), sometimes it would work until the next time the phone restarts and then it stops working again. I couldn't find this little fix anywhere so I thought I'd share it with the community.

Fix: First restart your Google Pixel phone and make sure you do the next step before the phone boots up. You need to apply pressure to the bottom, top and back of the phone. The way I did it was, use the palm of each of my hands to hold the bottom and top of the phone whilst using my fingers from both hands to press down on the back of the phone. Apply enough pressure (not a significant amount of pressure that you will permanently bend the phone, of course) through your palms and fingers to close that fracture until the phone boots up completely then you can release your hold.

Now your sound on your phone should be working until the next time it restarts. This fix has worked 100% of the time for me and I really do hope this helps others out there with the same issue as me.

Remember this is only a temporary fix, if possible you should get the phone replaced. I'm just sticking it out until the Google Pixel 4 comes out in a few months.

thisissteve

Aug 20, 2019
So this is a little fix that I found when I was troubleshooting my Google Pixel phone when it was not able to play any sound whatsoever (the 'no sound' issue). My wife and I both have a Pixel phone- she has a Pixel 2 with no issues and I have the first pixel when it first came out.

I've done tremendous research on this issue and it has been reported that it is a hardware issue where there is a micro (hair line) fracture on the motherboard which results in components on the motherboard unable to send signals to one another (which I'm assuming is to do with the sound, also please correct me if I am wrong here). After a few factory resets and tonnes of restarting the phone (+ various other things), sometimes it would work until the next time the phone restarts and then it stops working again. I couldn't find this little fix anywhere so I thought I'd share it with the community.

Fix: First restart your Google Pixel phone and make sure you do the next step before the phone boots up. You need to apply pressure to the bottom, top and back of the phone. The way I did it was, use the palm of each of my hands to hold the bottom and top of the phone whilst using my fingers from both hands to press down on the back of the phone. Apply enough pressure (not a significant amount of pressure that you will permanently bend the phone, of course) through your palms and fingers to close that fracture until the phone boots up completely then you can release your hold.

Now your sound on your phone should be working until the next time it restarts. This fix has worked 100% of the time for me and I really do hope this helps others out there with the same issue as me.

Remember this is only a temporary fix, if possible you should get the phone replaced. I'm just sticking it out until the Google Pixel 4 comes out in a few months.

I had a similar problem, which later caused the microphone to stop working. A more permanent fix for this would be to, reflow the Qualcomm WCD9335 found on the back of the motherboard. You could do this yourself, if you have the suitable reflow soldering skills or you could take it to a local phone repair shop and just guide them to reflow the WCD9335. If you live in the US you could claim a settlement for this problem, I have been using the phone for about a month with no problem.

Riftzzy

Jul 17, 2019

How hard should i bend the phone, is this safe to do because i feel like this would break the screen or something?

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Been searching for a fix for anf this ACTUALLY WORKS! thank you now my sound works:laugh:

Reactions: Fairy10

Zkabs

Mar 21, 2019

Works. Time to update.

I just had this exact same issue with my wife's Pixel 4a 5G (Bramble). This "fix" worked for me instantly, after flashing several different version factory images all failed to bring the audio back.

Is this really something that Google continues to struggle with, even after their Class Action settlement over the first Pixel models??

Fairy10

Nov 17, 2023

This totally works ! Both palms applying pressure, I guess I did hear a click sound...thank youuu!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How hard should i bend the phone, is this safe to do because i feel like this would break the screen or something?

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Been searching for a fix for anf this ACTUALLY WORKS! thank you now my sound works:laugh: