FORUMS

Uninstalling Google Chrome

282 posts
Thanks Meter: 62

By KittyRgnarok, Senior Member on 21st January 2017, 09:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I wasnt entirely sure of where exactly i should put this, the dev board would probably be a better choice, but i digress.
Uninstalling the Chrome app through Titanium Backup(and im sure through any other method) causes some apps such as kik messenger and snapchat to be ENTIRELY unusable. They will instantly crash upon opening conversations. I am unsure as to why this happens but i figured it would be useful information for someone else eventually.
EDIT: Doing this also causes battery to go from 100% to 0 in about four hours
22nd January 2017, 12:22 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 261

More
Can I ask why uninstall chrome then? Just don't use it or hide it from your app drawer. A lot easier than trying to figure out the issues caused by removing it. It would be the same thing
22nd January 2017, 12:24 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholeinthewor1d

Can I ask why uninstall chrome then? Just don't use it or hide it from your app drawer. A lot easier than trying to figure out the issues caused by removing it. It would be the same thing

Well i just didnt want it on my system and i didnt know about the issue beforehand and ive never seen that happen before. Figuring it out actually happened because i thought it was caused by something else after i flashed stock and fixed it.
22nd January 2017, 12:33 AM |#4  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 63

More
You need to enable Android/Google WebView (I can't remember the name) in the app settings/play store and go into the developer settings and set the WebView to the new one you enabled. I sadly learned this the hard way like you.
22nd January 2017, 12:45 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjiggywiggy

You need to enable Android/Google WebView (I can't remember the name) in the app settings/play store and go into the developer settings and set the WebView to the new one you enabled. I sadly learned this the hard way like you.

One of my friends talked about how most apps use chrome for webview n i was wondering if there was a way to replace it thanks
22nd January 2017, 12:48 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Found it on google play but the app is still disabled in settings and the enable button is greyed out?
22nd January 2017, 02:35 AM |#7  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyRgnarok

Found it on google play but the app is still disabled in settings and the enable button is greyed out?

That's weird. Is it greyed out in the play store too or just in settings? If it is try going into Titanium Backup and unfreeze(?) it there. If that doesn't work uninstall it like you did with chrome and download it from the play store.
22nd January 2017, 05:53 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

That's weird. Is it greyed out in the play store too or just in settings? If it is try going into Titanium Backup and unfreeze(?) it there. If that doesn't work uninstall it like you did with chrome and download it from the play store.

Huh it was low level frozen on the system, defrost through titanium backup doesn't seem to do anything which now raises the question: how and why is that done?
Gonna try uninstalling it and installing through play again.
22nd January 2017, 06:02 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Play store said Enable(the button was seemingly unresponsive until i clicked it abt 15 times in a row) clicking it causes a 44mb download then it says install which causes a 44mb download and changes it back to a completely unresponsive enable. switching over to settings now only shows a greyed out uninstall and force stop
22nd January 2017, 05:38 PM |#10  
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 643

More
You're free to do what you want of course, but ripping one of the central tie points out a Google phone is not what I wold call a good idea. Easy to run a different browser if that's your preference without destroying the integrity of the base software.
22nd January 2017, 05:54 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMD

You're free to do what you want of course, but ripping one of the central tie points out a Google phone is not what I wold call a good idea. Easy to run a different browser if that's your preference without destroying the integrity of the base software.

Before finding this problem it was unknown to me and im sure several others that chrome was an integral part of the rom.The point of this thread was really to find out what this is and if there is a way around it. its for experimentation purposes as it is honestly incredibly easy to fix, ive done it 4 times.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)