Overall love

Search This thread

syphix

Oct 31, 2010
I bought this phone expecting to not like it and sell it in a few weeks. It doesn't have an sd card slot or a removable battery. That's a pretty big deal to me. But I got the 128gb and started allowing Google to back up my pics. I can go 16 hours on the battery with 4 hours SOT. That's exponentially better than my MXP or pretty much any other phone I've used. I have grandfathered unlimited on Verizon so my choices are slim if I want root. Everything about this phone works very well. It's super quick and feels good in the hand. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with it.
My MXP screen cracked and I'm due for an upgrade. Were you disappointed by the downsized screen between the two? Would you still recommend it in April 2017?

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
My MXP screen cracked and I'm due for an upgrade. Were you disappointed by the downsized screen between the two? Would you still recommend it in April 2017?
Yes I still have it and love it. Although, I have had my eye on the Moto G5. I bought my mom a G4 for cheap and it was very comparable to the MXP so the G5 should be a nice upgrade from the MXP.

If you're going to pay full price for a Pixel you may want to hold off for a Pixel 2 and grab a G5 in the mean time to hold you over.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

n00bpwner

Feb 1, 2014
took a pic yesterday of Detroit from Belle Isle and posted it to reddit. Today i get an email from a local news site asking to use the pic on their fb page. that's how awesome this camera is. i'm starting to understand how powerful hdr is. pixel feels like the future. the chin is for ease of holding while watching videos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Detroit/comments/64fu5c/detroit/

Last edited:

cornel.atomei

May 23, 2013
Focsani
Just traded my Iphone 7 plus 128GB for a new Pixel XL 128gb Very Silver. It is the best android phone I ever had (had the Nexus 6P, S7 Edge, G5, P9, HTC10, V10, Sony XZ, Oneplus 3), but i still think it is overpriced...
The build quality and design are not best in class, huawei, samsung, oneplus and sony make better built phones. It's not that Google Pixel is not well built, but the design is ugly as f__k, bezels are too big by any standards, screen is very good but poorly calibrated even in RGB mode, speaker is bearly above average, the aluminium used is not as high quality as the one in Iphone or Huawei, it has a white cloth covering the earpiece that gets dirty easy, has no IP67/68 rating, the back glass scrathes easily. I don't care about wireless charging. There are few pro's still, i love the buttons click and fingerprint sensor placement.
The display is very good, not the brightest or the most accurate (samsung is still king here), very good sunlight legibility and low power consumption.
It charges very fast, on point with s7 edge adaptive fast charge, but slower than OP3 with dash charge. Battery life is perfect, better than anything i ever had, even my Iphone 7 plus that wast the best before Pixel.
Perfect stand by times, very low power consumption for screen (i keep my screen very bright), doze is magic, as i get all notifications quick but with low power consumptions for apps.
The software is great, a little boring, but hey, better than iOS. No customisations comparing to a samsung or lg, but it's ok. Speed on the other hand... magic! Everything is instant, veeeeeeery fluid animations, no hangs, no force close, no nothing. It's iOS level of optimisation, years ahead any samsung or lg...
The camera is best i ever had. The most important aspect of a mobile phone for me is it's camera (back and selfie), and google pixel absolutly destroys every phone out there in dynamic range and is better than most in low light. Detail is superb, colours are very good, sometimes a bit saturated, had no trouble with lens flare (i think they fixed it). Focus speed and acuracy is just perfect. Video quality is there with the big boys (s7 and iphone 7). Selfie camera the best also, slightly ahead of sony xperia xz. Overall, best camera package on any smartphone to date (always keep HDR+ on), i think it will be better than s8 and g6, i allready know is better than Huawei P10.
What this phone has done better than all others, at least for me, is call quality and signal reception, my mother lives in an area where there are big signal issues with any carrier, and when i go visit her, Pixel XL is the only phone i had so far with almost full signal. (best until pixel were iphone and samsung).
So, long story short, i love my pixel xl, it is the best phone i ever had, on par with 2017 flagships so far (LG G6 ans Galaxy S8). It has it's cons: design, bezels and speaker, but those left aside, i think i will keep it until Pixel 2 or Iphone 8. The only phone that could mess up my plans is Galaxy S8 with that display... P.S. sorry for my flawed english, i am from Romania.

Last edited:

tobalaz

Jul 17, 2012
Norton
Battery life is much better than comparable Androids devices. I've never had such great battery life, honestly. Interestingly, I had an M8 for a year and did NOT get close to 3 days (not even 2). Coming from an LG V20, V10, Note 5 and Note 7 (and watching my wife's S7), this battery life is tremendous. I literally don't ever pay attention to battery anymore. I go to bed with 30-50% usually. I just charge overnight (why not?) to be safe.

But yes, the sound of M8 was unparalleled. Why they quit on that feature I'll never understand.

I'm making it though the day now (16-18 hours) and getting a 10% charge left over.
Wayyyy too many apps now want your location 24/7, finding the ones using location services and living without them fixed the wall hugging.
Also, not using it as much once the "new phone smell" wore off and I started normal use was a big help extending battery life.

hojotogo

Jan 2, 2009
FL
I will be buying a new phone this fall. I used to have an iPhone 6s+ that was waterlogged and replaced it with a moto g4+. I like Android better but the wonkey updates make me crazy. I love the iPhone because of how smooth the updates usually were. I have factory upgrade on g4 but it just isn't smooth and good anymore. Bootloop etc. When the pixel updates, is it smooth and mostly problem free like the iPhone?

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I will be buying a new phone this fall. I used to have an iPhone 6s+ that was waterlogged and replaced it with a moto g4+. I like Android better but the wonkey updates make me crazy. I love the iPhone because of how smooth the updates usually were. I have factory upgrade on g4 but it just isn't smooth and good anymore. Bootloop etc. When the pixel updates, is it smooth and mostly problem free like the iPhone?
Yes, it's incredibly simple. Newest versions of Android make it seamless so you don't even have to wait. It is installing it behind the scenes from what I understand and then when you reboot, it's magically done. Pretty fantastic.

Reactions: hojotogo

guyz_ahead

May 15, 2014
I want to buy pixel 1. But prices are still so highhh. Any way to getnit around 20000Rs (Indian) the size of the phone is perfect.

palejupiter

May 7, 2018
Fredericton
I want to buy pixel 1. But prices are still so highhh. Any way to getnit around 20000Rs (Indian) the size of the phone is perfect.

I got mine for about C$150 dollars total (R7,836.02). 30 bucks for a unit with damaged glass, 120 for a replacement LCD and Touch Digitizer+Tools. The unit works brilliantly, and after I took care of the initial issue, there have been no further problems.

If you're handy and don't mind the work, I figure you can get one of these (like most phones requiring a screen replacement) on the cheap.

PS: LOVE this phone.

Reactions: guyz_ahead

burningwipf

I currently have a Nexus 5 and love it and I'm totally satisfied, but sometimes the power button stucks and reboots the phone...

Now I've just found some retailers listing the Pixel 1 32 GB new for around 320€ or 128GB refurbished for 330€.
Is it still, in june 2018, worth it, to upgrade to this phone?

My main reason to stick with Google is their stance on unlocking the bootloader and the community that keeps phones alive and up to date with security patches long after the official support has ended.

//Edit:
The pixel 2 is currently 600€, so nearly double the price.
I'm not a heavy user, usually take pictures with a DSLR, so not sure if the 2 is preferable there.

Last edited:

taldeital

Jan 9, 2012
Now I've just found some retailers listing the Pixel 1 32 GB new for around 320€ or 128GB refurbished for 330€.
Is it still, in june 2018, worth it, to upgrade to this phone?

//Edit:
The pixel 2 is currently 600€, so nearly double the price.
I'm not a heavy user, usually take pictures with a DSLR, so not sure if the 2 is preferable there.

I was almost in the same situation. I have a Sony Xperia X Compact, of which I loved factory form and small size overall. It was only fair with photos tho, average shoots in daylight, very poor in the dark.

I've always been a Nexus user, (S, 4, 5X) and now I was just without a home. I decided to jump again on the Google train and I bought just yesterday a 128 GB Refurbished Pixel, with a huge discount from PayPal. 219€ in total. Probably would be the best option out there, even with a price tag around 300€. I'm just slightly worried about battery and SOT, but I'll figure out soon. Better to have a very good performing phone that you can charge anytime, instead of a poor performing phone with a monster battery: you can always juice it up but you can't make your phone faster or lag-free.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought this phone expecting to not like it and sell it in a few weeks. It doesn't have an sd card slot or a removable battery. That's a pretty big deal to me. But I got the 128gb and started allowing Google to back up my pics. I can go 16 hours on the battery with 4 hours SOT. That's exponentially better than my MXP or pretty much any other phone I've used. I have grandfathered unlimited on Verizon so my choices are slim if I want root. Everything about this phone works very well. It's super quick and feels good in the hand. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Just traded my Iphone 7 plus 128GB for a new Pixel XL 128gb Very Silver. It is the best android phone I ever had (had the Nexus 6P, S7 Edge, G5, P9, HTC10, V10, Sony XZ, Oneplus 3), but i still think it is overpriced...
    The build quality and design are not best in class, huawei, samsung, oneplus and sony make better built phones. It's not that Google Pixel is not well built, but the design is ugly as f__k, bezels are too big by any standards, screen is very good but poorly calibrated even in RGB mode, speaker is bearly above average, the aluminium used is not as high quality as the one in Iphone or Huawei, it has a white cloth covering the earpiece that gets dirty easy, has no IP67/68 rating, the back glass scrathes easily. I don't care about wireless charging. There are few pro's still, i love the buttons click and fingerprint sensor placement.
    The display is very good, not the brightest or the most accurate (samsung is still king here), very good sunlight legibility and low power consumption.
    It charges very fast, on point with s7 edge adaptive fast charge, but slower than OP3 with dash charge. Battery life is perfect, better than anything i ever had, even my Iphone 7 plus that wast the best before Pixel.
    Perfect stand by times, very low power consumption for screen (i keep my screen very bright), doze is magic, as i get all notifications quick but with low power consumptions for apps.
    The software is great, a little boring, but hey, better than iOS. No customisations comparing to a samsung or lg, but it's ok. Speed on the other hand... magic! Everything is instant, veeeeeeery fluid animations, no hangs, no force close, no nothing. It's iOS level of optimisation, years ahead any samsung or lg...
    The camera is best i ever had. The most important aspect of a mobile phone for me is it's camera (back and selfie), and google pixel absolutly destroys every phone out there in dynamic range and is better than most in low light. Detail is superb, colours are very good, sometimes a bit saturated, had no trouble with lens flare (i think they fixed it). Focus speed and acuracy is just perfect. Video quality is there with the big boys (s7 and iphone 7). Selfie camera the best also, slightly ahead of sony xperia xz. Overall, best camera package on any smartphone to date (always keep HDR+ on), i think it will be better than s8 and g6, i allready know is better than Huawei P10.
    What this phone has done better than all others, at least for me, is call quality and signal reception, my mother lives in an area where there are big signal issues with any carrier, and when i go visit her, Pixel XL is the only phone i had so far with almost full signal. (best until pixel were iphone and samsung).
    So, long story short, i love my pixel xl, it is the best phone i ever had, on par with 2017 flagships so far (LG G6 ans Galaxy S8). It has it's cons: design, bezels and speaker, but those left aside, i think i will keep it until Pixel 2 or Iphone 8. The only phone that could mess up my plans is Galaxy S8 with that display... P.S. sorry for my flawed english, i am from Romania.
    took a pic yesterday of Detroit from Belle Isle and posted it to reddit. Today i get an email from a local news site asking to use the pic on their fb page. that's how awesome this camera is. i'm starting to understand how powerful hdr is. pixel feels like the future. the chin is for ease of holding while watching videos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Detroit/comments/64fu5c/detroit/
    Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the Google Pixel, all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the Google Pixel is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it. :eek:

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
    I love it. But I'm having some buyer's remorse. I still give it an 8 out of 10. A 10 would have been better than my previous in most categories, even if marginally.

The Pixel is more expensive than my 6P. It's subjectively uglier than my gold finish all metal 6P. It has no front firing dual speakers. It's speakers aren't as good as the 6P's. It has no 64gb option as my 6P did. And I know people may slate me for this, the 6P had a better camera. By a big margin.

So why the high rating? Well, the Pixel feels better in the hand. This is primarily due to the size. The build seems more solid and more dense. The software feels more natural, although this is hard to quantify. The Pixel doesn't exhibit any throttling that my 6P did, which is a huge improvement. It just seems a more polished finish.

It has excellent EIS and I think the 6P should have been given this as it's just software magic, AFAIK. But it is what it is.

No nightmares in the battery department. Quite stable in fact. My 6P was starting to drain quicker than I liked.

Did I say it's the only viable smaller handset with top end hardware? I find it so liberating to be using a smaller powerhouse again.

Most of all, it's just very reliable and dependable.

Sent from my Pixel using XDA-Developers mobile app

Im sorry but the 6P does not have a better camera. Coming from a 6P as well i agree with some of your viewpoints but the camera isn't a valid arguement. While the 6P camera is good its not at the level of the pixel.