FORUMS

MultiROM [Beryllium][Miui/custom roms/GSI][14-07-2019]

864 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,204

By vasishath, Senior Member on 18th November 2018, 05:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Introduction

MultiROM for Poco F1
MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod. It can boot any Android ROM. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs.

Features:
* Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
* Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
* Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

You can also watch a video which shows it in action.
Warning!
It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.
Installation
Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.

You can install it from this guide:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dXluN0LHllyOCRTw-F0YZG4ts6hvO73a

MultiROM has 2 parts you need to install:
  • MultiROM - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
  • Modified recovery - download the IMG file from second post and use fastboot or Flashify app to flash it.
    You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
    Download links are in the second post.

Adding ROMs
1. Android
Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm. As for the space, clean installation of stock 4.2 after first boot (with dalvik cache generated and connected to google account) takes 676mb of space.
Using USB drive
Not tested
Updating/changing ROMs
1. Primary ROM (Internal)
  • Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
  • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
2. Secondary Android ROMs
If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
  • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
  • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.
Source code
MultiROM - https://github.com/vasishath/multiro...ts/android-9.0

Known issues:
* There is currently no way to upgrade a secondary GSI.
* All secondary ROMs reboot to MultiROM menu upon first boot. Just boot the same ROM again it will work.
* Some visual tearing in MultiROM menu.

Please report all your issues here:
https://github.com/vasishath/multirom/issues

Thanks a lot to Tasssadar for creating this awesome utility.

Join Official POCO Telegram group
XDA:DevDB Information
Multirom, ROM for the Xiaomi Poco F1

Contributors
vasishath, shahan_mik3
Source Code: https://github.com/vasishath/multiro...ts/android-9.0

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Multirom TWRP is required

Version Information
Current Beta Version: v1
Beta Release Date: 2018-11-18

Created 2018-11-18
Last Updated 2019-07-14
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.png
Views:	22202
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	4646176   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.png
Views:	21878
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	4646177   Click image for larger version

Name:	c.png
Views:	21864
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	4646178   Click image for larger version

Name:	d.png
Views:	20554
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	4646180   Click image for larger version

Name:	e.png
Views:	20088
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	4646181   Click image for larger version

Name:	f.png
Views:	19748
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	4646182  
The Following 106 Users Say Thank You to vasishath For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vasishath Ad-Free
18th November 2018, 05:02 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chandigarh

More
# MultiROM FAQs

• Do I have to flash any patched kernel ?
No you dont have to flash any patched kernel

• Does it support encrypted devices ?
Yes it does. You can use it on encrypted/non-encrypted device without any issues.

• Cool. But my secondary ROM shows phone not encrypted. Why ?
Multirom handles encryption transparently and hence the second ROM will never come to known that its encrypted. Never try to encrypt phone using secondary ROM. I repeat.. Never.

• Can I use a ROM newer than my primary ROM ?
Yes you can.

• Can I use a ROM older than my primary ROM ?
If you're encrypted.. No. Because of anti rollback protection in keymaster. But if you're not encrypted.. Yes. Since multirom build 20181211, you can flash older ROMs as well.

• What will happen to my other partitions if I flash MIUI as secondary ?
If you flash MIUI as secondary then all partitions except system,vendor and data will not be overwritten. However, if u want to use a new modem image (firmware.img) from a new miui build, u can use "Set radio.img" functionality in Multirom recovery and use the new firmware.img here.
But i will still recommend flashing a new MIUI to primary first to avoid any confusion.

• How do I flash a GSI ?
Its very simple. Just extract the .img file out of the gsi zip (this step is not needed if ur gsi provides an .img file directly for download). Then use this image with "GSI image" button when adding a ROM.

• Nice. Does Magisk work ?
Yes (as of magisk v17.1). For primary ROM, you *have* to flash magisk *first* and then multirom zip in case u want to use Magisk. Reversing the order will lead to magisk not working.

For secondary ROMs, Make sure you don't uncheck "System partition Mode" checkmark during adding secondary ROM. Then use "install zip" function in multirom recovery to flash magisk zip in the usual way. Whats more.. if u flash a GSI as secondary and ur primary ROM is rooted, ur GSI becomes automatically rooted with magisk.

• Can I flash a ROM on my USB drive ?
I don't expect it to work for now. However, it maybe fixed in future.

• Can i flash a ROM on my sdcard ?
I haven't tested this. It may or may not be possible.

• Can I set a PIN/pattern/password/fingerprint/face lock on my secondary ROM ?
Yes but if u do set, make sure your primary ROM doesnt have any kind of password set. Because even if u set the same password in secondary, u will be locked out of ur primary ROM. Flash this zip (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tz...p0UFAwJ2SyPgOL) to remove the security lock if u accidentally lock it.

You can use PIN/pattern/password on primary ROM alone though. Just do not set a PIN/pattern/password on both primary and secondary.
The Following 61 Users Say Thank You to vasishath For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vasishath Ad-Free
18th November 2018, 05:02 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chandigarh

More
Download Links

Multirom Zip
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mul...9.zip/download

Multirom Recovery
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mul...9.img/download

Multirom Uninstaller
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mul...r.zip/download

Tested Roms:
MIUI Pie, Lineage OS, Nitrogen Os, Benzo GSI

Screenshots: thanks @ydd0ras for ss and testing

Tutorial: (How to use Multirom) by @ydd0ras
Check here : http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=vie...24048&mobile=2
The Following 61 Users Say Thank You to vasishath For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vasishath Ad-Free
18th November 2018, 05:24 PM |#4  
Flag Baku
Thanks Meter: 1,897

Donate to Me
More
Congrats you brother. Today you add new level to Pocophone era. Thank you. I will test and give you feedback.

Keep it up
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hero355 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hero355 Ad-Free
18th November 2018, 05:47 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Finally yess 😁 ! Most awaited from me 😆. Thanks you very much for this Tool.
18th November 2018, 05:52 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 115

More
i used this MOD way back in nexus 4 days, wow.i am so excited to check this out on my Poco F1. thanks for this!
18th November 2018, 05:54 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 890

More
At least released Vasi. Congrats for an outstanding job! Everything works as it should. But guys rather ask twice, before making any mistake. It's not complicated, but a bit tricky!
The Following User Says Thank You to ydd0ras For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ydd0ras Ad-Free
18th November 2018, 06:01 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 171

More
AWESOME Initiative
18th November 2018, 06:10 PM |#9  
Flag City Of Joy
Thanks Meter: 1,494

Donate to Me
More
Yo buddy! Thanks for all your hard work..😍😍😍
The Following User Says Thank You to Saswata Chakraborty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Saswata Chakraborty Ad-Free
18th November 2018, 06:13 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Is the kernel patch included in Multirom.. zip? So that I have to flash this every time when I change the primary rom?
The Following User Says Thank You to palbadi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift palbadi Ad-Free
18th November 2018, 06:18 PM |#11  
Flag Kuala terengganu
Thanks Meter: 194

More
What the?? Multirom? Wow its crazy, awesome!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)