Standby drain

Search This thread

lockhrt999

Nov 25, 2014
India
I charged my phone to 100% before going to sleep and when I got up the battery was down to 65%... When I checked the power usage, the Android system was consuming over 60%....I wiped the cache and data and reset my phone....again the Android system is consuming more than 45%.... without any apps....the battery usage also shows "Awake" all the time when the screen is off and also I have enabled screen lock.... please help!!!

trust it's the apps. MIUI fails to show correctly which app used how much battery. Remove unnecessary apps and battery will improve drastically. I removed few apps including airtel tv and that has increased my battery backup more than two folds. Plus I never ever used airtel tv.

shicomm

Mar 31, 2011
I had insane drain on both miui 9 and 10 ( stock ) then changed over to lineage.
It is way better now but with the phone always on battery save mode and wifi off the current drain could be less imho..
About 5% during the night is 'normal' atm..
Might be switching over to pixel experience as lineage seems to be "done" due to the IR copyright stuff...

ClementNerma

Mar 15, 2017
For my part, I get constant battery drain (about 2% per hour) when the screen is turned off, but no app seems to be using that much battery... It's really problematic as in two days of use it is awake ~ 20-25h in total which means ~40-50% of battery lost without doing nothing :/

Battery stats do not show any specific problem - everything uses a reasonable part of the battery, including Android which uses about 14%.

This doesn't happen on custom ROMs but sadly these have a lot of problems on my phone (SIM not detected, very weak signal, even after flashing latest vendor, boot problems, etc.)

lukesan

May 1, 2009
For my part, I get constant battery drain (about 2% per hour) when the screen is turned off, but no app seems to be using that much battery... It's really problematic as in two days of use it is awake ~ 20-25h in total which means ~40-50% of battery lost without doing nothing :/

Battery stats do not show any specific problem - everything uses a reasonable part of the battery, including Android which uses about 14%.

This doesn't happen on custom ROMs but sadly these have a lot of problems on my phone (SIM not detected, very weak signal, even after flashing latest vendor, boot problems, etc.)

I have exactly the same issue!!!! Even the 2% happens at night I see and doze seems to be working perfectly. Last week I installed the EU MIUI rom 10.3.6 from complete scratch (wiped internal storage to make sure). Absolute time waste since it didn't help at all.

My next step is to use a USB charging monitor and to measure the capacity of the battery. The 2% per hour of a 500mAh is the same comsumption as a 0.5% per hour of a 2000mAh battery if you know what I mean.

lockhrt999

Nov 25, 2014
India
Guys, Guys. Check if the mobile is being remained awake even when the screen is off. This is how it should be ideally.
Screenshot_2019-09-05-12-50-05-289_com.miui.securitycenter.png

Your awake like is likely going to be continuous, which explains the battery drain. Some app is keep your device from going idle. Now trust me you can't know which app by just looking into battery app consumption because it doesn't show the apps which are keeping device awake. You can install a third party app to detect which junky app is causing this problem. Or like me, just get rid of the apps which you are not using. For me, the battery improved more than 2 folds. Please post screenshot of your device like above.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-09-05-12-50-05-289_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-05-12-50-05-289_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 166

ClementNerma

Mar 15, 2017
That's not always the case on my phone (see the first attached screenshots), also Wi-Fi Bluetooth & so on are off when I have this "battery drain" problem (see the last screenshots).

But it's true that sometimes my phone shows it's nearly-always "awake", do you know any way to find applications that keep the phone awake?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-23-21-51-11-809_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-23-21-51-11-809_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Screenshot_2019-08-23-21-51-08-589_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-23-21-51-08-589_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Screenshot_2019-08-25-19-33-03-502_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-25-19-33-03-502_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot_2019-08-25-19-32-59-074_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-25-19-32-59-074_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 177

lockhrt999

Nov 25, 2014
India
That's not always the case on my phone (see the first attached screenshots), also Wi-Fi Bluetooth & so on are off when I have this "battery drain" problem (see the last screenshots).

But it's true that sometimes my phone shows it's nearly-always "awake", do you know any way to find applications that keep the phone awake?

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179809
you can dowload it for free on xda or purchase on playstore.

guide > https://www.xda-developers.com/stop-wakelocks-android-without-root/

lukesan

May 1, 2009
Ok, got a 2.0% per hour a night again.

I have attached a number of screenshots. If someone can have a look at this and give me some advice I would be thankful

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-09-06-06-53-57-388_com.asksven.betterbatterystats_xdaedition.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-06-06-53-57-388_com.asksven.betterbatterystats_xdaedition.png
    201.2 KB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot_2019-09-06-06-53-39-880_com.asksven.betterbatterystats_xdaedition.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-06-06-53-39-880_com.asksven.betterbatterystats_xdaedition.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Screenshot_2019-09-06-06-53-27-642_com.asksven.betterbatterystats_xdaedition.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-09-06-06-53-27-642_com.asksven.betterbatterystats_xdaedition.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Screenshot_2019-09-06-07-00-34-919_com.asksven.betterbatterystats_xdaedition.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-09-06-07-00-34-919_com.asksven.betterbatterystats_xdaedition.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot_2019-09-06-06-54-46-447_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-06-06-54-46-447_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Reactions: LRview

Viki94

Apr 29, 2019
Ok, got a 2.0% per hour a night again.

I have attached a number of screenshots. If someone can have a look at this and give me some advice I would be thankful

Nothing is abnormal with this battery drain.

It is caused because your network signal is weak and your phone is constantly searching for a better signal to lock on to.

ggezboye

Jul 20, 2019
Mine's pretty much healthy standby. During last weekend, I never had to charge my phone in our house because it has very long standby time. I only opened it for texting, random picture taking, etc. I only open my wifi for it to sync to my local cloud (Nextcloud). Other than that, wifi is off. And oh, we don't have internet access at home at the moment, due to technical issues, that might also be another thing to consider.
I also manually disable apps from starting from background in the permission settings, the apps that I do not want to be notified for especially FB and Messenger.
My phone was stock, bootloader never unlocked. Global stable 10.3.7.

This phone in its stock ROM is pretty good. Only the third party apps were the problem battery-wise. Remember that apps ask for permission during first install, if you just say yes to all then you're up to high battery consumption. Check your permissions!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-09-11-18-31-11-772_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-11-18-31-11-772_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 682
  • Screenshot_2019-09-09-14-08-15-481_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-09-14-08-15-481_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 683
Last edited:

ClementNerma

Mar 15, 2017

It is caused because your network signal is weak and your phone is constantly searching for a better signal to lock on to.

It is abnormal because for my part it happened suddenly, before the battery was decreasing a lot slower (in the exact same places with same signal strength).

I installed a few days ago the beta of Pixel Experience (Android 10) and now it's back to normal (in 2 hours the phone didn't lose a single %). Same thing with the Google Play Services which were eating battery at an enormous speed if I enabled mobile data, this bug doesn't happen anymore on PE.

lukesan

May 1, 2009
It is abnormal because for my part it happened suddenly, before the battery was decreasing a lot slower (in the exact same places with same signal strength).

I installed a few days ago the beta of Pixel Experience (Android 10) and now it's back to normal (in 2 hours the phone didn't lose a single %). Same thing with the Google Play Services which were eating battery at an enormous speed if I enabled mobile data, this bug doesn't happen anymore on PE.

That reply was for me but I fully agree. At my work I have full signal strength, exactly the same thing.

Maybe I need to try Pixel Experience but I am afraid to switch over since swapping MIUI roms already got me in trouble with the encryption the day before yesterday.
I seriously need to look into that btw.

ClementNerma

Mar 15, 2017
That reply was for me but I fully agree. At my work I have full signal strength, exactly the same thing.

Maybe I need to try Pixel Experience but I am afraid to switch over since swapping MIUI roms already got me in trouble with the encryption the day before yesterday.
I seriously need to look into that btw.

Oh you're right I quoted the wrong post ^^'

If you have problems with encryption, just think to disable *ALL* security options before flashing (so disable schema / password / fingerprint unlock). I stopped having problem with encryption only when I removed completely these securities before flashing anything :)

lukesan

May 1, 2009

Well, got my 'old' Redmi note 5 pro out of the drawer again and stuck an active sim from the same provider in it. Both phones lying next to each. The Poco F1 is drawing 2.4% per hour and the Redmi note 5 pro I charged about 13 hours ago is at 97%. So do the maths.
I seriously love the phone, as I do with the Redmi note 5 pro, but the drain on my F1 is just crazy.

Reactions: unrafa

jddcef

Nov 2, 2010
Redmi Note 8
I monitored the network traffic on the wifi network that the Redmi 6 was connected to that has the drain issue.
It seems to be communicating constantly with a random laptop over the network.
It's keeping awake because of some Spotify traffic.
So I believe this is caused by media apps that try to do this whole shared network controls.
It can be related to other media devices on the network too.
There's a Google Home Mini on this network, which has this "allow other devices to control the media playback".

So turn off Spotify and Google Home devices and see if that helps.
The network broadcasting features must be draining and always keeping things awake.

pocof1notstock

Jun 5, 2020
Poco f1 battery drain other apps

Hi, can some one help me identify the "other apps" that is responsible for such a huge drain

YLzR9kQ

Image link
//ibb.co/YLzR9kQ

Just put a https before the above link. I cant post the image for some strange reason

Last edited:

|>/\nte

Ever since I got a second sim in I've started having issues with cell standby drain. I'm keeping my second sim off, but even then I see pretty unnatural usage on cell standby (percentage varies from low 20s to low 30s, somethimes even more). I've tried a couple of things since this screenshot was taken a couple of days ago:

Wiping cache and data from google play services, rebooting the phone and charging it
Changing the network type to LTE/CDMA/UMTS auto (PRL), then to LTE/WCDMA

I was thinking about trying a cache wipe from recovery, or a factory reset, but is there anything else I can do before trying a factory reset?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-16-19-19-17-244_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-16-19-19-17-244_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 10

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When you sleep, does your phone sleep, or does it stay up all night and crunch 1s and 0s? Rate this thread to express how you deem the speed at which the Xiaomi Poco F1's battery drains under standby conditions. A higher rating indicates that when the phone is not in use, the battery drains minimally.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
    I have the same increased stand-by battery usage (1-2% per hour) since 5-6 days now.
    After monitoring battery usage with a Gsam Battery Monitor app (any advanced battery monitor would do, BBS just crashed on me), I noticed that 'sms_snd wakeup' activity was active for several hours.
    After googling, I found out that sms_snd is a proximity sensor's process.
    Try to disable 'Pocket mode' in Settings -> Lock screen & password -> Advanced section.
    I am testing it at the moment, will share my results after a day of usage.
    Please try and share yours.

UPD: Just 4-5 hours after disabling the Pocket Mode battery consumption in stand by dropped to 0.5%/h. Quite promising, still keeping an eye on it.
    Some Tips to MINIMIZE battery drain -

1.Debloat
    3.Keep WiFi off when not needed.Stock android has a feature "Keep WiFi on during sleep>Never" which could have saved a a lot of battery drain, but idiot miui developers have decided to remove it.and no, there isnt any app, a of now which does the job.
    2.Turn airplane mode on while sleeping.Turn Battery saver on While sleeping.you don't need to be notified while sleeping, do you?
    3.Settings>Permissions>Autostart & turn off autostarts for any app you don't need
    4.Settings>Permissions>Other Permissions>Permissions>Start in background & turn background process off for any app you dont need.Reboot.
    5.Turn WiFi & Location scanning off.WiFi scanning always turns on for me after I turn on location.What about you?

6.Turn off Dev options -> Mobile data always active
    7.Turn off Find Device in google account and device's administrative apps
    8.Use SysconfigPatcher Magisk module (Universal GMS doze installed from TWRP) and set battery saver option for Google services. OR use custom ROM without gapps or with microG.
    9.Turn off CellBroadcastReceiver and its notifications
    10.Turn off WeatherClient
    11.Turn off OK Google enrollment & X Google enrollment
    12.Use BetterBatteryStats for power consumption analyze
    13.Prefer ROMs with wakelock/alarms blocker like NOS, AEX, Havoc, AOSIP etc.
    14.Use kernels with wakelock-block options
    15.Maybe Android 8-Oreo is more battery friendly than 9-Pie. Maybe not.
    PROFIT!

or just don't use XIAOMI's not-optimized phones ever.
    Hi !
    I found the solution randomly yesterday. My phone was always in "Awake" mode since I updated to latest MIUI (MIUI 10.2.2). It was incredibly annoying, sometimes I could lose half of battery during the night.
    I think this update might have a bug, but fortunately it is easily fixable.

It's very simple. This update can turn off by default 2 seemingly harmless options: Double tap screen to wake and Raise to wake.
    You might think: "good, I have battery issues so turning those off will surely solve them, right?" Wrong.
    With this update, disabling those two options make your phone always awake.

You need to enable them, and your phone will be sleeping normally.

Look at the difference before and after:
    5QALwMn.png
    Nobody tried BetterBatteryStats? It should show what is draining the battery.