FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

What will realistic Project Ara phone be and what price will you pay?

1,794 posts
Thanks Meter: 234

By riahc3, Senior Member on 4th November 2013, 02:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

With this being talked about now, what will your realistic Project Ara phone have?

Mine is pretty simple:

Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 2.3GHz
Adreno 330 450MHz
2 GB RAM
3.8 V 2300 mAh, 8 Wh, Qi wireless charging
Slide out QWERTY physical keyboard
4.96 in (126 mm) diagonal IPS LCD with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 (1080×1920 px (444 ppi))
8 MP with OIS, f/2.4 aperture and Xenon flash.
1.3 MP Front Camera
3.5 mm TRRS
GPS
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Bluetooth 4.0
NFC
Infrared port
Every damn radio band so I can use GSM/3G/4G all over the world

Now that I look at it, this phone sounds pretty familiar.........

My price range would be $400 - $500

What about you?

Also, lets keep it realistic, real (no transformer from phone to PC or fantasy crap) and considering phone/budget of each person. Basically what Project Ara is really about and can offer.

Im editing the title again: Please keep it realistic Who knows what people are reading this thread. If we post things like 8K resolution screen phones for 200 bucks, we cannot keep this realist.c
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to riahc3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift riahc3 Ad-Free

4th November 2013, 03:36 PM |#2  
Flag North Woodstock
Thanks Meter: 103

More
I'd be willing to pay up to $600 for a device with 8GB of internal storage with an external storage option, a 21Mp camera with OIS and various low light optimizations, It needs to be at least dual core running at no less than 1.8 Ghz, it needs 2Gb of RAM, an adreno 330 GPU, a 4.7in screen with a resolution that's above 720p, wireless charging, ALL the radios!, wifi 80211ac, a front camera that has 720p recording and is at least 1.3mp, extremely tunable audio quality, and a slightly curved screen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparx639 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sparx639 Ad-Free
4th November 2013, 03:42 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx639

I'd be willing to pay up to $600 for a device with 8GB of internal storage with an external storage option, a 21Mp camera with OIS and various low light optimizations, It needs to be at least dual core running at no less than 1.8 Ghz, it needs 2Gb of RAM, an adreno 330 GPU, a 4.7in screen with a resolution that's above 720p, wireless charging, ALL the radios!, wifi 80211ac, a front camera that has 720p recording and is at least 1.3mp, extremely tunable audio quality, and a slightly curved screen.

Just asking for a good DAC and a curved screen will shoot it up more than $600

I based off mine a existing phone and depending on that raised the price compared to it...
The Following User Says Thank You to riahc3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift riahc3 Ad-Free
4th November 2013, 04:04 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Camera
For me:

Top-line specs (cpu ram etc...)

But the extra stuff i would buy into it is a good DAC (digital analog converter). I like to hear quality music.

And a best of the bests camera with a big and fast sensor (maybe foveon x3), 3diagonal OIS, led+xenon AND full manual control in it's software. I want to control shutter speed, ISO, explosure, OIS on/off, timer, intervalometer, HDR, brust mode, pixel oversampling and RAW capturing.

I don't want to take photos like on DSLR, but these things are good to have in the creative process :--)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dewsy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dewsy Ad-Free
4th November 2013, 04:18 PM |#5  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 288

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by riahc3

Hello,

With this being talked about now, what will your dream phone have?

Mine is pretty simple:

Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 2.3GHz
Adreno 330 450MHz
2 GB RAM
3.8 V 2300 mAh, 8 Wh, Qi wireless charging
Slide out QWERTY physical keyboard
4.96 in (126 mm) diagonal IPS LCD with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 (1080×1920 px (444 ppi))
8 MP with OIS, f/2.4 aperture and Xenon flash.
1.3 MP Front Camera
3.5 mm TRRS
GPS
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Bluetooth 4.0
NFC
Infrared port
Every damn radio band so I can use GSM/3G/4G all over the world

Now that I look at it, this phone sounds pretty familiar.........

My price range would be $400 - $500

What about you?

By the time ARA is available this will be a bit old
But I would take high specs with 3000 or 4000 mAh so it would last more than a day
The Following User Says Thank You to exadeci For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift exadeci Ad-Free
4th November 2013, 04:32 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by exadeci

By the time ARA is available this will be a bit old
But I would take high specs with 3000 or 4000 mAh so it would last more than a day

Why do I want more? Make no sense.
4th November 2013, 11:35 PM |#7  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 288

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by riahc3

Why do I want more? Make no sense.

Because my 2100mhA battery on my nexus 4 only last the day on usual use but can be drained by half on my 1h commute if I stream music while playing games
5th November 2013, 12:02 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
An HTC One with modules and i'll be happy
5th November 2013, 08:31 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by exadeci

Because my 2100mhA battery on my nexus 4 only last the day on usual use but can be drained by half on my 1h commute if I stream music while playing games

Thats why you do and that is not normal usage (internet, music and games)

The phone I do (PHONE) does WAY more than any phone I (or most people) can ask for.
6th November 2013, 12:51 AM |#10  
Flag ಠ_ಠ
Thanks Meter: 189

More
Really i want there to be clean choices.
saying you want a snapdragon 800 in it or a 21 megapixel camera wont help you if that phone comes out in a year or so.

An option to get it pre-assembled.
A rating system for blocks, if you replace a block, ask you to rate/comment on it after a week or so.
More then one company making them.
Multiprocessor support. Get your Snapdragon and your Exynos. More power. Maybe limit that to just more then one copy of the same chip though, i do not see how it would work otherwise.
A separate block that contains the headphone jack, usb, ... so that it can be replaced without replacing the more expensive components.
A small internal battery, so that you can exchange the battery block without rebooting.
Different body shapes. Tablet--Phablet--Phone--Phone with keyboard
An E ink screen option.

Price, depends on components.
An E ink phablet-phone is something else then a DUAL-Tegra with 3 extra battery blocks, 4k screen and no radios except wifi.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azeazezar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Azeazezar Ad-Free
7th November 2013, 01:43 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
- separate DAC/amp (i imagine these will be built into the SoC so hopefully OEMs can make modules that override this)
- 4000mAh battery
- landscape QWERTY
- probably a screen no bigger than 4.7" given that an overly large screen would make using the keyboard untenable
- camera module with a decent sensor size & xenon flash
- multiple SD/microSD card support
- projector

i don't imagine you could have all of these modules on the phone at once though
The Following User Says Thank You to keflexxx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift keflexxx Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)