Project ARA sliding Keyboard

591 posts
Thanks Meter: 58

By Poke_N_PDA, Senior Member on 2nd March 2014, 03:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th August 2014, 11:53 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
[QUOTE=dsfdfsdfs;52370167]Why wouldn't a slider module be allowed? I mean, I understand that that may be the case, but I wouldn't say it is certain yet.

Looking atbut the MDK v0.10 specification PDF1
  • 3.1.4 - Envelope Violation Limitations - A slider in the front module could be interpreted as violating the envelope as the display will fall partially outside of the standard envelopes in X direction (which is a was per Table 3.10) when extended. However, xI'm not convinced this is intended too wmodules that still fall within the valid wax in a a bit position (sure, it might be, but it is not 100% clear to me). Note that the maximum length in Z direction is 2.5 cm, so one shouldaa be able to fit a keyboardw+slide raw data +screen in this space.
  • 3.1.2 - Front Module Sub-assemblies - Rear modules are limited to having a PmessingCBswe, Safety Shield, and a Shell (3.1.1.1). Was front modules only require a BaBaWse and a PCB, andQ other sub-assemblies are module-specific, so this would not affect a keyboard+slider+screen module AFAICS.

Am I missing something else? (I admit I haven't read the MDK document cover-to-cover)[/QUOTEW

19th August 2014, 07:56 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
The Return of the QWERTY-Slider!!!!
I couldn't agree with you enough--and my years-long rants about OEM's neglecting this very under-represented, though potentially immensely profitable, sector have rung hollow so far. I am an avid Android fan who will not part with a QWERTY slider at any cost. I've owned nearly every QWERTY-slider Android under the sun, and even with my newest acquisition, my first non-QWERTY phone, I find myself sacrificing and going back to my older devices because the satisfaction, efficiency, and speed with typing on physical keys simply cannot be duplicated on a virtual keyboard, regardless of what the masses say. SWYPE and all the software in the world cannot change this reality.

I like productivity-focused devices with premium, bleeding-edge specs. Back in the day, this was common. Now, whenever an OEM releases a QWERTY-slider (almost never), it's garbage with dated specs and poor build quality. I want an LG G-3 QWERTY-slider or an HTC M8 QWERTY-slider with no compromises on specs, whatsoever (I don't care about the added weight--that's not a spec, as far as I'm concerned). A fully-integrated, premium QWERTY-slider phablet, that is--NOT a blue-tooth case or some other removable attachment that has its own headaches.

I have searched high and low for a device like this, and, like many in this forum, was salivating when Project Ara was announced and I've been following it since the day it became a real possibility that we will soon be able to build the phones we want, the way we want them--assuming the third-party developers make the modules we want.

I also have a love for electronics, but no "real" hands-on engineering experience. I'm an attorney by profession, but I'm actually transitioning out of law practice and into the tech industry and would love to work on something like this. Would love to help out in any way I can, and I'm ecstatic that you started this thread!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndroidQWERTY For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndroidQWERTY Ad-Free
21st August 2014, 03:15 AM |#23  
Flag Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks Meter: 388

Donate to Me
More
What I could see is the keyboard having a slot with a network pass through for the display
This would (AFAIK) pass the MDK and allow for custom screens

Sent from my m7spr

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Also, has anyone noticed that Google spotlighted a flip out gamepad module design?

Sent from my m7spr
21st August 2014, 03:16 AM |#24  
Flag Sacramento, CA
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbiz11

What I could see is the keyboard having a slot with a network pass through for the display
This would (AFAIK) pass the MDK and allow for custom screens

Sent from my m7spr

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Also, has anyone noticed that Google spotlighted a flip out gamepad module design?

Sent from my m7spr

No way! They did? Do you have a link to that???
21st August 2014, 03:18 AM |#25  
Flag Ann Arbor, MI

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutchcorn

No way! They did? Do you have a link to that???

I don't, but it was in a video, iirc
They showed a split second of the picture of the concept in a large group ...don't remember where it was

Sent from my m7spr
21st August 2014, 03:19 AM |#26  
Flag Sacramento, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbiz11

I don't, but it was in a video, iirc
They showed a split second of the picture of the concept in a large group ...don't remember where it was

Sent from my m7spr

If ya ever come across it again, could ya link it?
The Following User Says Thank You to crutchcorn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crutchcorn Ad-Free
25th August 2014, 10:58 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 234

More
The problem with the slider is (besides physical limitations) that on the slider connectors would have to be on the bottom of the slider to connect to the phone and on top of the slider to connect to the display.

That's why there I see it difficult unless it is BlackBerry style.
25th August 2014, 03:13 PM |#28  
Flag Ann Arbor, MI

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by riahc3

The problem with the slider is (besides physical limitations) that on the slider connectors would have to be on the bottom of the slider to connect to the phone and on top of the slider to connect to the display.

That's why there I see it difficult unless it is BlackBerry style.

In the sliding bracket, you could have extremely long pins that always line up with the display, no matter where it is in the sliding motion (on the mount for the display's back) and then still have the network pass through at some point on the top of the keyboard

Sent from my m7spr
25th August 2014, 07:09 PM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I love the idea of being able to try different qwerty keyboards. Plus, if they make those hopefully you could attach a game pad as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peoriapoit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift peoriapoit Ad-Free
29th August 2014, 03:47 AM |#30  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 106

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutchcorn

If ya ever come across it again, could ya link it?

http://aethertechnician.tumblr.com/p...ou-heard-about
29th August 2014, 03:50 AM |#31  
Flag Sacramento, CA

More
Interesting. Thank you.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)