FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

MDK: What would you build?

53 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By AnoraxAudio, Member on 12th November 2013, 02:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Seeing as being a module developer would involve developing both the hardware and the software, basically giving you almost total control over what you can make (within the constraints of the MDK itself), what kind of module would you build?

Open discussion for anyone really, dreamers and doers alike.

If I had the knowhow and the materials to do so, I think I'd build a solar-charging module to attach to the phone (possibly removing the charger/USB cable module?) so that the phone can be charged on the go.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnoraxAudio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AnoraxAudio Ad-Free

12th November 2013, 10:22 AM |#2  
I'd stick w/ usb charging/jtag module ... Phone's memory blocks would be laid open should one combine the two into a single module option. Solar cells good idea but they take a lot of surface area to generate a substantial/adequate amount of power to run device. I'm interested in seeing the mdk to know what kind of parameters we might be working with either way.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to insink71 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift insink71 Ad-Free
15th November 2013, 02:41 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
When it comes to Solar cells, I honestly hope that this actually inspires the development of solar cells that are transparent - much like the capacitive layer on touchscreens today. That way, the solar cell could cover almost the entire front of the device - and that way not only act as a source of power, but also as a replacement for today's Ambient Light Sensors (what is the abbreviation for that? ALS doesn't come out right...) - since a solar cell could measure the entire amount of light shining on a device, and not just the amount of light on a small area on the fascia, it would be a lot more accurate. Plus, while you probably wouldn't be generating energy while using your phone in the sun (I'm thinking of the law of conservation of energy here), it would make battery life much better, not to mention much more steady, because the brighter your display would have to be, the more energy it would be getting - and that's assuming you're using it constantly, and, oh, I don't know, putting it down to enjoy what is probably beautiful weather at that point. Unless you put it in your pocket, the way I usually do...
The Following User Says Thank You to trainman261 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift trainman261 Ad-Free
16th November 2013, 08:58 PM |#4  
My initial response could prove false in some short span of time. I read http://inhabitat.com/researchers-bui...ventional-pvs/ and albeit they have their challenges, making thinner, smaller cells that are more efficient seems plausible. I love research & tech

Rob

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to insink71 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift insink71 Ad-Free
23rd November 2013, 01:03 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Instead of a phone id be happier if this project spawned a new class of android devices (not tablets not phones) that with modules could be more standalone camera or camcorder like (maybe this is actually backwards thinking but illustrates we dont have to stick to our current notions), or have more sensors (really just throwing out star trek ticorder) to be used in scientific applications (eg geology, biology, etc, in mind more field work type situations). Maybe scanner, projector, 3d camera, better speakers, sylus/no stylus, stylus capable screen. Different cameras (infra red or whatever more in line with idea of device being a gadget)
23rd November 2013, 02:08 AM |#6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I'm actually thinking that this is where this project will actually go. At the very least it'll be a device that you can transform from your "everyday"phone into a specialized powerhouse built for [insert your abstract scenario here] and back again. As I see it, they're bringing the flexibility of the Android OS to similarly flexible hardware. So I think you've got the idea that they're running with, that this will eventually become a "build your own ________ powered by Android" project, not simply a "upgrade your phone pieces" project.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda app-developers app
23rd November 2013, 06:47 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Yes upgrading phone pieces immediately sounded like a cool idea but probably not immediately pratical (maybe not yet). A device that can become a more specialized device through hardware offers a broader approach that can in the end include upgrade modules being practical. Laptop docks for android phones is similar but wasnt avaiable for all devices. If recall on the droid x2 the kernel and ram was not capable of supporting a moto dock option. Even if this were to expand to a specialized hardware module more like a peripheral, universal support would be difficult. I think all the OEMs would need to get on board. I dunno.
23rd November 2013, 01:22 PM |#8  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman261

When it comes to Solar cells, I honestly hope that this actually inspires the development of solar cells that are transparent - much like the capacitive layer on touchscreens today.

That wouldn't be good. Solar cells don't CREATE electricity when they are hit by light. They TURN light into electrical power, and it couldn't be otherwise as energy cannot come out from nothing. Photons are absorbed by electrons, which detach from their atom and start moving, generating a current, and the ideal solar panel should have its electrons absorb all the light and let no light back: it should be completely BLACK. Transparent (or white) ones would generate no current.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gspin96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gspin96 Ad-Free
23rd November 2013, 09:26 PM |#9  
Flag Curico
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gspin96

That wouldn't be good. Solar cells don't CREATE electricity when they are hit by light. They TURN light into electrical power, and it couldn't be otherwise as energy cannot come out from nothing. Photons are absorbed by electrons, which detach from their atom and start moving, generating a current, and the ideal solar panel should have its electrons absorb all the light and let no light back: it should be completely BLACK. Transparent (or white) ones would generate no current.

What about the entire back of the phone being a big solar panel?
24th November 2013, 06:43 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gspin96

I don't think you understand what I'm saying, I know energy isn't created, and I understand the concept of solar cells - that's specifically what I was referring to when I said that you wouldn't be able to use it in the sun and charge it like that because of conservation of energy - because otherwise there would be more of an imbalance - it would be charging, and shining out about the same amount of light as it is receiving. Of course, stupid me forgot about UV and infrared, which negates that part of my argument . What I meant was that I was hoping that some day there would be a solar cell that could be on top of a screen, and you could still the screen. One option would be semi-translucent - the screen would just have to be tuned a bit brighter, which wouldn't be a problem, either, as most of the light that doesn't make it through the solar cell would be re-captured as energy anyway. The other option - the ideal one - would be a solar cell that would only transform light landing on one side. This definitely wouldn't absorb all the light because of the law stating that light can go back the same way it came, and when I think about it, it probably couldn't work at all, but who knows what science will provide us with in a couple of years - there have been surprises in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroleader

What about the entire back of the phone being a big solar panel?

At the current state of technology, that would probably be the best option (plus maybe a bit on the bezel, but depending on the efficiency of the solar panel, that could just be a waste) - We don't have any (semi)-transparent solar panels AFAIK, so they have to be dark like that, so yes, at the moment, the entire back of the phone being a solar panel would probably be the best option.
24th November 2013, 02:04 PM |#11  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 53

More
You mean something like a cell absorbing light coming from side A and letting through light coming from side B? Then sorry, I didn't get it .
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)