FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide][Xposed] Installing Traditional Xposed on Stock ROM

442 posts
Thanks Meter: 308

Post Reply Email Thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!
I have now updated the guide. We now use the official installer instead of the systemless installer due to a big change in the way the systemless image is handled (thanks to Magisk).
If you have the old systemless version, you must remove it before installing the official Xposed. You can find a guide for that here. Alternatively, you can rebase your entire system on the new systemless Magisk system, for which I have a guide coming soon.

Getting Xposed up and running on this thing is pretty simple once you're rooted, but I got a request to make this, and I don't want anyone breaking their phone while they're trying to get it installed, so I made a guide.

Before you begin, you'll need your phone rooted with SuperSU (systemless root). This has been tested on V6.1 and V6.4 of the Amazon Prime edition BLU R1 HD, but I'm sure it will work on the non-Prime version too. You also must have TWRP installed. Not really sure how you got root without having TWRP, but you do need it.

As always, you're doing this at your own risk. It's not my fault if your phone gets bricked, damaged, or becomes sentient and plots with other Android devices to kill you and your cat.

With all that out of the way, let's get started here.
  1. First, you need DVDandroid's Material Design Xposed installer. It's a really great alternative to the official Xposed installer and I prefer it on all my devices. You can download it from this thread.
  2. After installing that, open it up. You'll be greeted with a screen telling you to be careful and that this could damage your device. Dismiss it.
  3. Slide over to the official tab in the Xposed installer. We used to use the systemless version, but we can no longer use that one due to some changes that were recently made.
  4. From the top dropdown, choose xposed-(version)-sdk23-arm, where (version) is replaced with the latest version of the file. This should be selected by default, but double check. Make absolutely sure that the ARM version is selected and NOT the ARM64 or x86 version. Flashing the wrong version could damage your phone.
  5. Click Install/Update. Xposed installer will give you a few warnings and ask for root access, but at the end of it all, your phone will reboot.
  6. The rest is automatic. Your phone will boot into TWRP, where it will run a couple scripts, and then reboot back into the system. The first boot process will take a long time, and might even loop once or twice. It will also rebuild the caches for every app on your phone, so it will take a while. Once it finally finishes, you should be booted to Android with Xposed framework enabled!

That's it! Install your favourite modules and play with your phone to your heart's content!

Also note that after performing these steps, your device will take a long time to boot up. The Xposed framework simply being initialized will make your phone take much longer to start up than normal. Every additional module you enable will also make your phone take a little longer to boot. You can disable the Xposed framework in the Xposed Status tab of the Xposed Installer using the switch at the top. This will disable Xposed and your phone will boot quickly again (without even removing Xposed!), so you can use this as a hotswitch for enabling/disabling Xposed (if that makes sense in your use-case). Removal of Xposed is also pretty straightforward. Just head over to the official tab in Xposed Installer and click the Uninstall button. I've never personally tried this because I see no reason for it, but I can't imagine why it would break anything.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ColtonDRG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ColtonDRG Ad-Free

26th July 2016, 02:16 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Aurora, CO

Donate to Me
More
This second post will be reserved for any notes I want to make about specific modules. If anyone discovers anything useful for this post, please let me know and I'll add it.
  • In GravityBox, enable "Force AOSP" in the About menu to fix a problem with several of the Statusbar Tweaks.
  • Some of Android N-ify's options don't work. Specifically, the Status bar header options cause the quick settings and notification panel header to become improperly layered, making it unusable. If anyone knows how to go about fixing this, please let me know. Disabling the options completely fixes it, but you lose the functionality. You will also want to disable all options in Notifications section to avoid the notifications panel looking awkward.
  • Having the GravityBox Miscellaneous option "Search bar visibility" set to "Hide and remove space" causes glitchy graphics when opening the recent apps/task manager. To correct this, set it to either "Default" or "Hide and keep space".
  • The following problems are the same issue manifesting in different ways.
    • Double tapping the overview key while only one app is opened and Android N-ify's "Quick switch" is on causes SystemUI to crash.
    • Tapping the overview key while the overview is already opened, only one app is opened, and Android N-ify "Recents button click behavior" is set to "Return to previous app" causes SystemUI to crash.
    • Tapping the overview key while the overview is already opened and Android N-ify's "Recents button click behavior" is set to "Cycle through apps" causes SystemUI to crash.

Side note, I hate the default clear all button (in the recent apps/task manager). It's ugly, takes up too much space, and is poorly positioned. If anyone knows of an Xposed module that can get rid of it completely (I can use a different one from either GravityBox or the best recent apps/task manager enhancer ever, Recently), or knows how to go about making such a module, please let me know. I would be grateful forever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ColtonDRG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ColtonDRG Ad-Free
26th July 2016, 05:34 AM |#3  
Just want to add that Xposed also works in V6.4. And also thanks for mentioning the unofficial Xposed installer app, the material design looks much better than the original
26th July 2016, 04:48 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Aurora, CO

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmerc

Just want to add that Xposed also works in V6.4. And also thanks for mentioning the unofficial Xposed installer app, the material design looks much better than the original

Thanks. Updated the first post.
27th July 2016, 09:22 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Wow, never used Xposed before but this is pretty neat. I've got the CM battery icon on my status bar.
30th July 2016, 10:31 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Nice.
31st July 2016, 02:18 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 96

More
Thanks for the guide! Love using gravitybox to make the navbar smaller. Anybody know a way to make double tapping power button open camera?
5th August 2016, 03:04 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I'm getting this error in twrp. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	3833553  
5th August 2016, 05:38 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
After I click install my phone reboots into TWRP but it does not run any scripts and xposed isn't installed. Any ideas why?
5th August 2016, 08:47 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Aurora, CO

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporez

I'm getting this error in twrp. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotonejuggler

After I click install my phone reboots into TWRP but it does not run any scripts and xposed isn't installed. Any ideas why?

Systemless Xposed is officially dead. Well, not really. Thanks to a new tool called Magisk, things have changed a lot, which means I will have to rewrite a good chunk of this guide. I will be writing a new guide talking about Magisk shortly, but for now, this guide is dead. Sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to ColtonDRG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ColtonDRG Ad-Free
5th August 2016, 09:39 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Aurora, CO

Donate to Me
More
I've updated the guide with instructions for installing official Xposed version, and I tested it. This guide is back in business. Now to work on that Magisk guide. Install away, @sporez @twotonejuggler!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)