[r14] arter97 kernel for Razer Phone 2

Search This thread
Flashing r14 over r12 still causes the phone to freeze at the boot logo. r12 working fine though (MR2).

I tried the same thing today. I had r12 installed from when I got the phone in January with MR2. Today I downloaded r14 and the patched boot.img for MR3 and tried flashing them but now i'm stuck on the razer boot logo. Going to try restoring my backup from earlier. Anyone know what I did wrong?
1. Ran flash_all.bat from the MR3 update while keeping user data
2. Flashed patched MR3 boot.img in fastboot to boot_a/boot_b
3. Flashed arter97 r14 in fastboot for recovery

Edit: now after restoring backup from before flashing it's stuck on the green loading screen.
Edit 2: for some reason my backup from earlier today only backed up the system partition even though I selected boot and data. Restoring the boot/system from my first backup in January got me booting again.

Last edited:

bhomie28

Mar 3, 2019
OnePlus 6T
OPPO Find X2 Pro
I tried the same thing today. I had r12 installed from when I got the phone in January with MR2. Today I downloaded r14 and the patched boot.img for MR3 and tried flashing them but now i'm stuck on the razer boot logo. Going to try restoring my backup from earlier. Anyone know what I did wrong?
1. Ran flash_all.bat from the MR3 update while keeping user data
2. Flashed patched MR3 boot.img in fastboot to boot_a/boot_b
3. Flashed arter97 r14 in fastboot for recovery

Edit: now after restoring backup from before flashing it's stuck on the green loading screen.
Edit 2: for some reason my backup from earlier today only backed up the system partition even though I selected boot and data. Restoring the boot/system from my first backup in January got me booting again.

Do u forgot after flashing the mr3 & keeping userdata to flash the f2fs file in twrp (Magisk?) ?
When twrp works try installing the zip file. Personally I use the tritinty R1 Kernel. I don't know why but R2,R3 & R4 Kernel freezes the half of my Display sometimes.

Sent from my Razer Phone 2 using XDA Labs

DeathToy

Aug 3, 2018
What app would y'all recommend for messing with kernel settings? I love FK but a lot of options don't stick and get overridden. Core control resets to all 8 online and min/max cpu frequencies keep resetting to default. Any help would be much appreciated!

Pyr0ball

Jan 26, 2011
Hey guys,

I dun goofed when trying to do a routine backup.

Rebooted into TWRP, which surprises me with a password prompt (instead of pattern unlock)
Reboot to system to remove encryption and then fix stuff, greeted by "Enter password to start android" prompt
Tried the numbers-to-pattern trick, no luck. Basically locked out of the phone now
Booted back into TWRP, while looking around for other options, accidentally chose "Slot A" which has gotten me stuck back on the old recovery
fastboot commands no longer work

Code:
D:\adb>fastboot.exe boot twrp-3.2.1-0-cheryl.img
Sending 'boot.img' (23120 KB)                      FAILED (Write to device failed (Too many links))
fastboot: error: Command failed

Trying to re-flash the kernel just hangs:

Code:
D:\adb>fastboot.exe flash boot arter97-kernel-r14-20200428.img

I've got some data I'm not 100% sure is backed up like my 2FA applications so I'd like to try and get this fixed without re-flashing the entire firmware. Not sure if that's possible but I'm open to suggestions

Edit:

Tried switching to Windows Terminal/Powershell and got slightly different error:

Code:
PS D:\adb> .\fastboot.exe boot .\twrp-3.2.1-0-cheryl.img
Sending 'boot.img' (23120 KB)                      FAILED (Write to device failed (Unknown error))
PS D:\adb> .\fastboot.exe flash boot .\arter97-kernel-r14-20200428.img
Sending 'boot' (30176 KB)                          FAILED (Write to device failed (Unknown error))
PS D:\adb> .\fastboot.exe getvar all
getvar:all                                         FAILED (Write to device failed (Unknown error))
Finished. Total time: 5.004s

I'm sure the TWRP image is still there, but I can't get it back up.

Last edited:

x0xDJSx0x

Jun 18, 2018
OnePlus 9 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I am getting a weird bug were my razerphone 2 will turn off the display when the battery is low. the phone itself does not shutdown my rgb still works I have been in the middle of a phone call and I couldn't hang up I could still use my volume buttons my fingerprint scanner will still work I just can't see anything I am using the latest r14 arter97 kernel it wasn't doing this before. Any help here?

Also the only way to get out of it is to reboot been dealing with this for months

Last edited:

stephenobe

Oct 13, 2019
I am getting a weird bug were my razerphone 2 will turn off the display when the battery is low. the phone itself does not shutdown my rgb still works I have been in the middle of a phone call and I couldn't hang up I could still use my volume buttons my fingerprint scanner will still work I just can't see anything I am using the latest r14 arter97 kernel it wasn't doing this before. Any help here?

Also the only way to get out of it is to reboot been dealing with this for months

So I was having this exact issue. I seemed to get it both with Arter's kernel and the stock build, so I assumed it was just something wrong in Razer's main ROM. I tried battery calibration and have an app that monitors the battery charge and reported that it is still in decent health. I am far enough along with this phone now that I went ahead and took the plunge into Havoc OS after reading a few of the devs have finally stabilized it for Razer Phone 2. It is day two now and haven't had the hang up problem, but I will let you know after a week if this is still the case.

bloodsmack

Sep 1, 2020
Im on Pie . Mr1 rooted and with unlocked bootloader ,Magisk is working without any problems. The question is can i just flash this Kernel over or do i need pre version of kernel or mr3 ? Since i don't have twrp i can't backup complete firmware ... :(

MajicDroidPirate

Jan 18, 2012
Razer Phone
Razer Phone 2
So I was having this exact issue. I seemed to get it both with Arter's kernel and the stock build, so I assumed it was just something wrong in Razer's main ROM. I tried battery calibration and have an app that monitors the battery charge and reported that it is still in decent health. I am far enough along with this phone now that I went ahead and took the plunge into Havoc OS after reading a few of the devs have finally stabilized it for Razer Phone 2. It is day two now and haven't had the hang up problem, but I will let you know after a week if this is still the case.

I too have this bug on mr3 pie, I've also spoke to several other Razer phone two users on arter who are experiencing this very bug as well.. hoping there will be an update to resolve eventually

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Is havoc a GSI? If so can I ask if your phone carrier is an American company? I'm asking because there's a known GSI bug that seems to make SMS not work on any GSI ROM on specifically only American carriers if LTE is enabled and I had this bug personally when I tried Resurrection remix so I'm wondering if havoc has this bug as well? but again if you're not on an American Carrier you'll never even know it existed, it only effects the US

pitchblackhat

Oct 20, 2018
Google Pixel 2
I am also getting this bug, for me it started after installing custom recovery, like you said the only way I found to fix it is to reboot by ADB or holding down the power button for about 13 seconds, for me it's progressed to where if the phone Powers off by itself it gets stuck in a boot loop, doesn't charge, and cant enter recovery. I have to go to the bootloader menu by holding volume down and Power, then selecting the grayed out option so I can hold the power button down and force a hard reset, otherwise it never gets to the green flame animation.

Cjkeenan

Apr 5, 2016
LG G6
Razer Phone 2
Just a quick question.. Has anyone been successful using r14 with MR5?

Thanks,
RJR

MR5? When did MR4 come out? I am on an unlocked RP2 with no available updates and am running Build #: P-SMR3-RC002-RZR-200226.3141. I also checked for the factory images and that is the latest release on their website. What is your build number and do you have a carrier version? Is me being on the non-stock kernel and being rooted making the check for updates fail? I get that the update process should fail since the non-stock recovery is gone, but I could have sworn previous updates showed up and downloaded but just failed to install with this kernel.

Last edited:

DeathToy

Aug 3, 2018
MR5? When did MR4 come out? I am on an unlocked RP2 with no available updates and am running Build #: P-SMR3-RC002-RZR-200226.3141. I also checked for the factory images and that is the latest release on their website. What is your build number and do you have a carrier version? Is me being on the non-stock kernel and being rooted making the check for updates fail? I get that the update process should fail since the non-stock recovery is gone, but I could have sworn previous updates showed up and downloaded but just failed to install with this kernel.
I used the factory image for MR3 and then took all the updates and ended up with MR5 before installing this kernel and switching over to a GSI rom.

rrusek

Mar 3, 2006
Razer Phone 2
Google Pixel 7
Try using Trinity and let us know. Trinity works on rooted MR5..

Install Trinity then install Magisk.

To install Trinity you first need to install r14 that has TWRP. Then use TWRP to install Trinity.

Last edited:

Ty1507

Nov 20, 2020
Update: I couldn't use r14 to flash mr6, so I downgraded to mr3. After that I used Trinity kernel and it worked.

Thx rrusek for the info.

BILLYB187

May 9, 2014
Update: I couldn't use r14 to flash mr6, so I downgraded to mr3. After that I used Trinity kernel and it worked.

Thx rrusek for the info.

I did a clean flash of MR6 the other day, then used r12 without any issue. Trinity is more than I am really looking for, but it's good to know that it's not required to run mr6

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    arter97.png

arter97 kernel for Razer Phone 2 with TWRP and exFAT support​

/* Details */

Latest CAF msm-4.9 kernel fully merged
    This kernel contains more cutting-edge changes from Qualcomm than the regular sdm845 tag
    Latest Linux 4.9 subversion merged
    Use CONFIG_HZ = 300
    - This changes context switching interval from 10ms to 3.33ms
    - Pixel used this for years and Google recommends other vendors to do the same for fewer jitters
    Memory management improved(from Pixel 2 & 3)
    Pixel's lowmemorykiller used
    DM-verity fully disabled (you can remount /vendor to R/W properly)
    Scheduler commits cherry-picked from Pixel 3
    Timer optimizations
    RTL8152/8153 USB LAN adapter support
    TWRP support with proper f2fs support (see below)
    Permissive SELinux
    Passes SafetyNet
    Built with -O3 speed optimizations
    Built with latest GCC
    Westwood as default TCP network congestion control
    UFS optimizations
    Entropy hook on storage removed
    Latest mainline f2fs support with GC fixes
    CFQ I/O scheduler backported from mainline
    Systemless installation (the kernel itself doesn't touch /system or /vendor)
    Modules support disabled for lighter kernel
    WireGuard support
    Additional exFAT support with modified vold
    Removed RTB(interrupt) logging entirely

/* f2fs */

This kernel fully supports f2fs for /data and I encourage everyone to use f2fs with my kernel for better performance.
    See here as to why you might want f2fs.

Use the integrated TWRP to format /data to f2fs.
    It is crucial to use my kernel's TWRP as it includes an older version of mkfs.f2fs and passes an incorrect parameter to mkfs.f2fs.

1. Boot to the integrated TWRP and flash f2fs_fstab.zip
    2. Reboot to recovery again
    3. Wipe /data by entering Wipe > Format data > "yes"

After formatting, or flashing a new ROM or an OTA, /vendor’s fstab needs to be changed.
    Flash f2fs_fstab.zip to convert fstab to f2fs again. f2fs_fstab.zip won’t format your /data partition.

/* exFAT support */

This kernel fully supports exFAT via sdfat drivers from Samsung.
    You must use the provided vold to use exFAT as the stock vold doesn't support exFAT.

You must decrypt your phone before using this vold mod as it doesn't support FDE implementation with Razer Phone 2.
    Following the f2fs guide above is the easiest method.

Flash vold_mod_arter97.zip from TWRP and you're done.
    Screenshot

/* Disclaimer */

Your warranty is now void.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this kernel
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.

/* Warning */

Redistribution, modifying files used within this project's file or integrating with other projects are prohibited with no exceptions other than my projects.

Making mirrors, re-uploading to another servers are also prohibited with no exceptions.

/* Thanks to */

TheCrazyLex
    xboxfanj
    Tim Murray
    RenderZenith
    nathanchance - for android-linux-stable

/* Instructions */

You can use the zip file to flash the kernel from your existing TWRP recovery.
    If you don't have TWRP installed already, you can use the img file to flash the kernel directly from your PC via fastboot.

Both methods will install both kernel and modified TWRP recovery.
    You can check if the modified TWRP is installed by looking at TWRP's version name.
    It should say "arter97".

/* Downloads and links */

arter97.com
    Kernel source

XDA:DevDB Information
    arter97 kernel for Razer Phone 2, Kernel for the Razer Phone 2

Contributors
    arter97
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2019-03-25
    Last Updated 2020-04-27
    /* Changelog */

r14
    Reverted SELinux back to permissive to fix recovery

r13
    img file updated for P MR3
    SELinux is now set to enforcing
    Minor patch to improve responsiveness

r12
    LA.UM.8.3.r1-06300-sdm845.0 merged
    Linux v4.9.196 merged
    Wi-Fi drivers updated to 5.1.1.74O
    Latest f2fs-stable merged
    Diag USB interface enabled for QPST

r11
    Linux v4.9.189 merged
    Wi-Fi drivers updated to 5.1.1.73W
    LA.UM.7.3.r1-08200-sdm845.0 merged
    LA.UM.7.8.r1-06900-SDM710.0 merged (includes various scheduler improvements)

r10
    Linux v4.9.186 merged
    LA.UM.7.3.r1-07900-sdm845.0 merged
    LE.UM.3.2.1-00910-SDX24 merged
    Faulty Low Memory Killer fixed to work better and resolve wake-up delays
    General scheduler improvements backported
    Virtual memory allocator performance improved
    Task scheduler debugging disabled properly for lower overheads
    Many parts of the kernel converted to use hotplug state machine
    WireGuard updated to 20190702
    Bunch of memory allocations from various subsystems were reworked to perform much better (thanks to Sultan) (total of 46 patches)
    Debugging features disabled for Adreno GPU drivers to improve performance
    Rewritten IOMMU by Sultan reverted to resolve screen flickerings

r9
    Linux v4.9.180 merged
    Wi-Fi drivers updated to 5.1.1.72J
    Fixed several memory management issues from previous releases
    - This fixes multiple issues including performance regressions(wake-up delays, etc) and radio malfunctions
    - Thanks to @habylab for testing multiple builds prior to release)
    LA.UM.7.8.c3-06800-QCS605.0 merged
    LE.UM.3.2.1-18400-SDX24 merged
    Removed f2fs debug tracing codes added by Qualcomm
    qseecom performance improved
    Re-enabled kernel tracers for avoiding janks
    32-bit vDSO added for improving performance on arm32 programs
    Audio kernel updated LA.UM.7.3.r1-07800-sdm845.0

r8b1
    Linux v4.9.175 merged
    Wi-Fi drivers updated to 5.1.1.71H
    LA.UM.7.3.r1-07400-sdm845.0 merged
    LA.UM.7.8.r3-01400-SDM710.0 merged
    Fixed a Qualcomm issue that prevented audio-app stune creation
    Merged various patches from Proton kernel by kdrag0n to lower overheads and improve responsiveness (thanks to kdrag0n, sultanxda and ab123321)
    Now VLA-free
    RCU boost enabled for better responsiveness
    New patches made to f2fs for more efficient GC and trim
    FBE(File Based Encryption) now works with f2fs

r6
    Reverted a problematic Wi-Fi drivers optimization causing Wi-Fi to not turn on after some period of time

r5
    Reverted a minor Wi-Fi drivers improvement causing kernel panics

r4
    Linux v4.9.168 merged
    Fixed a major memory management regression
    Linux CMA pool size increased for better CMA efficiency
    Improved memory allocation from the Wi-Fi drivers to reduce memory fragmentation
    Fixed occasional kernel crashes(entering dumpmode) on shutdowns

r3
    Linux v4.9.166 merged
    LE.UM.3.2.1-11600-SDX24 merged
    Various changes made to f2fs rapid GC to make it more efficient
    dirty_expire_centisecs set to 30 seconds to reduce flash wearouts and power consumption
    Wi-Fi drivers downgraded to 5.1.1.70J to fix hotspot and signal strength issues

r2
    Fixed data decryption with ext4 on TWRP

r1
    Initial release