FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TWRP + MAGISK] FULLPROOF Guide for all Razers! Wifi Fix!

74 posts
Thanks Meter: 51

By nikitis, Member on 27th February 2018, 04:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is the new official way to root the Razer! Please forget all older methods. If you follow this guide, you will not have problems.

Ok, so there isn't some file you download to fix the Wifi, but this is how you make it work, when you swear you've tried everything.
(Trust me you didn't even if you think you did.)

So I'm a very smart person and I realized why so many people are running into this problem. It's because they are used to a bad habit with the Pixel XL phones. I was a prior Pixel XL phone owner and the bad habit that I have and that you guaranteed failed to realize what you did if you have broken wifi was, you didn't flash the TWRP.zip version.

You see, with the Pixel XL, most people realized that flashing TWRP permanently was not required on the Pixel XL and therefore we only booted the TWRP.img image every time we needed to flash something. Well that flat out does NOT work here on the Razer phone and it's the reason everyone is having issues with Wifi not working after flashing Magisk. You see I figured out that TWRP.zip flashes itself onto the stock boot.img image, and when it does so, it does it in such a way that it appears stock still to Magisk. Magisk then happens to flash itself onto the image in a proper way. If you use just the stock boot.img image and flash Magisk onto it, it also detects it as a stock image, but something is bugged in the formatting which breaks Wifi. So you cannot just take a stock boot.img and flash magisk onto it and expect it to work.

In fact when you fastboot twrp.img && fastboot reboot, it literally overwrites the stock boot.img for one side. (Current slot that you are on.) Before factory images, you are then required to store the boot.img from the other slot you did not boot from. (This was what was not explained very well for the lamen to understand.) Before factory images, if you failed to do this, and flashed TWRP.zip then you basically no longer have a clean boot.img file on either slot. (Now that we have factory images, we can just extract boot.img from there and use only it.)

Therein lies the fix. You need to ensure that you have a clean boot.img from the factory images provided by Razer, you then need the TWRP.img and TWRP.zip versions. You also need Magisk v16. (Latest works great.)

Guide coming in a second, but for those who just need to reset and fix Wifi regardless of your current state here's how:

1.) Obtain boot.img from the latest Razer factory image. (If you are not already on the latest, best to just flash it using Razers guide to restore using factory image.) https://developer.razerzone.com/raze...actory-images/
2.) Obtain TWRP.img and TWRP.zip from https://dl.twrp.me/cheryl
3.) Obtain Magisk from: https://forum.xda-developers.com/att...0&d=1519237503
4.) Now that you have all 3 files. I will explain twice to make this easy for the lamen depending on which slot you are starting out on.
5.) Push all 3 files to /sdcard by ensuring all 3 files are inside of your platform-tools folder with adb.exe and fastboot.exe, and with the following command: "adb push boot.img /sdcard", then "adb push twrp-installer-3.2.1-0-cheryl.zip /sdcard", then "adb push Magisk-v16.0.zip /sdcard"
6.) Now boot into fastboot by doing: "adb reboot bootloader"
7.) It's always good to test if your drivers are working by doing: "fastboot devices" If you get a serial number then it's working fine, and use a good Grade USB-A to USB-C cable.
8.) Once in the bootloader and you see "Download Mode", type: "fastboot flash boot twrp-3.2.1-0-cheryl.img && fastboot reboot"
9.) You should now be in TWRP. Select the reboot button and check which slot you are on and follow instructions accordingly below: (Skip down to "Slot B Instructions" if you are starting out on Slot B.)

Slot A Instructions:
1.) Verify that you are in Slot A by going to Reboot, then viewing what slot you are currently on. It should say Slot A.
2.) Back out and go to "Install", then select "Install IMG" button at the bottom, then browse to the boot.img file.
3.) Select boot.img and swipe to install.
4.) Go back to the main menu, and select the "Reboot" button and change your slot to Slot B.
5.) Once verified it states Slot B, select Bootloader to go back to "Download Mode" This will force it to SlotB, and re-run "fastboot flash boot twrp-3.2.1-0-cheryl.img && fastboot reboot".
6.) Once there, to go the "Install" button, and select "Install IMG" button, and select and flash boot.img again. This will give you a clean boot.img on Slot B, as well as Slot A.

Your phone is now corrected, and you can do it the proper way.

7.) Doesn't matter which flash you are on now. Go to "Install" button in the main menu, and select "Install Zip", and select the TWRP-installer-3.2.1-0-cheril.zip file. Swipe to complete. This will PATCH BOTH Boot.img images! This is required!
8.) Reboot to System so that it can get a proper boot and verify that Wifi works. (It should if you followed instructions to the letter.)
9.) Once done, type: "adb reboot recovery". (IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT DO DOWNLOAD MODE AND BOOT THE TWRP.IMG as it will OVERWRITE ALL OF YOUR WORK THUS FAR!) This takes you straight to recovery without overwriting. Go to the install button and install a zip, and select the Magisk-v16.0.zip file, and reboot to System. Congratulations! It should be working, but we've only flashed one side, we want to cover both banks, so we need to flash magisk on the second bank as well. (This is optional, but nice to have in case your phone decides to switch banks due to some error and root will still work if you do continue.)
10.) If it is and you want to be more complete. Type: "adb reboot recovery". (IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT DO DOWNLOAD MODE AND BOOT THE TWRP.IMG as it will OVERWRITE ALL OF YOUR WORK THUS FAR!) go to the Reboot Button, and change your slot, then select "Recovery" to force a reboot to force the slot change. Then go to the Install Button and select Magisk-V16.0.zip and flash it over the boot.img from the new slot we just changed too.

Now both banks are flashed properly, and it doesn't matter which one you boot from, it should work with Wifi.

Slot B Instructions: (Skip if you started originally on Slot A, you are done.)
1.) Verify that you are in Slot B by going to Reboot, then viewing what slot you are currently on. It should say Slot B.
2.) Back out and go to "Install", then select "Install IMG" button at the bottom, then browse to the boot.img file.
3.) Select boot.img and swipe to install.
4.) Go back to the main menu, and select the "Reboot" button and change your slot to Slot A.
5.) Once verified it states Slot A, select Bootloader to go back to "Download Mode" This will force it to Slot A, and re-run "fastboot flash boot twrp-3.2.1-0-cheryl.img && fastboot reboot".
6.) Once there, to go the "Install" button, and select "Install IMG" button, and select and flash boot.img again. This will give you a clean boot.img on Slot A, as well as Slot B.

Your phone is now corrected, and you can do it the proper way.

7.) Doesn't matter which flash you are on now. Go to "Install" button in the main menu, and select "Install Zip", and select the TWRP-installer-3.2.1-0-cheril.zip file. Swipe to complete. This will PATCH BOTH Boot.img images! This is required!
8.) Reboot to System so that it can get a proper boot and verify that Wifi works. (It should if you followed instructions to the letter.)
9.) Once done, type: "adb reboot recovery". (IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT DO DOWNLOAD MODE AND BOOT THE TWRP.IMG as it will OVERWRITE ALL OF YOUR WORK THUS FAR!) This takes you straight to recovery without overwriting. Go to the install button and install a zip, and select the Magisk-v16.0.zip file, and reboot to System. Congratulations! It should be working, but we've only flashed one side, we want to cover both banks, so we need to flash magisk on the second bank as well. (This is optional, but nice to have in case your phone decides to switch banks due to some error and root will still work if you do continue.)
10.) If it is and you want to be more complete. Type: "adb reboot recovery". (IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT DO DOWNLOAD MODE AND BOOT THE TWRP.IMG as it will OVERWRITE ALL OF YOUR WORK THUS FAR!) go to the Reboot Button, and change your slot, then select "Recovery" to force a reboot to force the slot change. Then go to the Install Button and select Magisk-V16.0.zip and flash it over the boot.img from the new slot we just changed too.

Now both banks are flashed properly, and it doesn't matter which one you boot from, it should work with Wifi.

This is how you correct and ensure you are rooted if you screwed up.

--------------------------------------------------

Now for instructions to do it the clean way for the first time. (For those who did not muck up their phone and waited patiently to do it right the first time.)

1.) Type: adb reboot bootloader
2.) Type: "fastboot flash boot twrp-3.2.1-0-cheryl.img && fastboot reboot"
3.) Once booted into TWRP via the image. Push the 3 files: "adb push boot.img /sdcard", then "adb push twrp-installer-3.2.1-0-cheryl.zip /sdcard", then "adb push Magisk-v16.0.zip /sdcard"
4.) Once pushed, on the phone, select the Install button, then select "Install IMG" button, and select boot.img, then swipe to install.
5.) Once installed, go back to the Install button, and then "Install Zip", then select TWRP-Installer-3.2.1-0-cheryl.zip and install the zip.
6.) This will Patch TWRP onto both boot.img's which should both be clean up to this point. (factory image shouldn't be required)
7.) Now that TWRP.zip has been installed to both boot.img's, you must reboot to SYSTEM!
8.) Once back in the phone verify Wifi still works, then do: "adb reboot recovery" (IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT DO DOWNLOAD MODE AND BOOT THE TWRP.IMG as it will OVERWRITE ALL OF YOUR WORK THUS FAR!)
9.) Once in recovery, go to the install button, and select Install Zip, and select Magisk-v16.0.zip.
10.) Once this is done, you should do this to the other Slot. To accomplish this without screwing it up, go to the Reboot button from the main menu and switch slots. Once slots are switched, select Recovery to reboot into recovery (even though you are already in Recovery, we need a reboot to force the slot change for it to flash the correct boot flash slot) and force a Slot swap.
11.) Now verify that the Slot swapped via the "Reboot" button, back out, and install, then install zip, and select Magisk-v16.0.zip again. and swipe to install.

12.) Reboot into System or swap slots if you want and reboot into System, it should work either way, and Wifi will work!

Congratulations!
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to nikitis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nikitis Ad-Free

27th February 2018, 11:02 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I was one of the users who bricked their phones using the old guide but following this guide I am now rooted with Magisk. In order too boot I had to swap back to my original boot slot (A) before I could boot though
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PupPupG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PupPupG Ad-Free
27th February 2018, 12:09 PM |#3  
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 714

More
Thanks OP!

I'll try this after work today.

I'm one of the people who no matter how they installed Magisk or SU I'd lose WiFi. I sure hope this works! I will report back later.
27th February 2018, 02:52 PM |#4  
Flag Greenville, SC

More
YES! Twrp and rooted with WiFi working. Great work OP!
27th February 2018, 06:18 PM |#5  
Flag Richmond
Thanks Meter: 364

More
I refrained from rooting because of the numerous sour experiences.

This guide puts me at ease in now proceeding with root.

Good work OP
27th February 2018, 11:38 PM |#6  
Flag East Kilbride
Thanks Meter: 614

More
I've waited patiently but now confident to run through it thanks to your guide. Will do tomorrow. Thank you.
28th February 2018, 04:15 AM |#7  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 165

More
Thanks a lot for the instruction. This worked for me. As @PupPupG suggested, I had to swap back to original boot slot (A) before I could boot though or else it bootloops.
The Following User Says Thank You to silvercat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift silvercat Ad-Free
28th February 2018, 09:09 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
phone no longer recognises as been connected after rebooting into bootloader via command prompt
28th February 2018, 09:37 PM |#9  
Flag Greenville, SC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky169

phone no longer recognises as been connected after rebooting into bootloader via command prompt

Did you verify you have a functional ABD Composite driver in Device Manager? This sort of thing is almost always ADB Composite driver related if ADB works but fastboot does not. Check device manager and see if you have a device with a yellow asterisk next to it when you phone is connected and in Download mode. I use the Samsung ADB Composite drivers on all phones I've had and it work fine.
28th February 2018, 11:43 PM |#10  
Flag East Kilbride
Thanks Meter: 614

More
Hmm... I followed to the letter. On your last step. I switched back to A, then hit reboot to recovery (to then reboot system via recovery) and it switched to "Download mode".

It's still recognised in Fastboot, but it's stuck at download mode.

------------------------

P.s. to anyone else - don't do what I did. At the very last step, just boot it while it's still in slow B. Worked a treat.

Thank you my friend!

------------------------

omg... so... do NOT forget. If you start this BEFORE you have unlocked the bootloader, then unlocking it will ERASE ALL DATA (that's not my issue).

The issue with that is it reverts all system updates. So once I finally got back to my home screen with Magisk installed etc.... I immediately got a system update which I couldn't perform.

WOOP DE DOO!

Full flash of Global Image (goodbye Three!!) and running through the latter steps again. Should be me finally sorted.. (post midnight UK time)

----------------------

Nope. On switching to slot B (clean flash of global image), I get "Updater process ended with ERROR: 1; Error installing zip file '/sdcard/magisk.zip' "

It worked for slot_A... so not sure what's going on here?

----------------------

OK so slot A definitely works fine. But I can't get slot B to flash Magisk with the global image. It was actually working with the Three image, but I decided I wanted to make my phone unbranded during this process.

If any ideas on how to bypass the error for Magisk on install for Slot_B - let me know! Goodnight!
1st March 2018, 03:03 AM |#11  
Flag Greenville, SC

More
I have not been able to flash Magisk on partition B either. I get the same message. Not a big deal for me, as I can always flash the stock boot.img to get back up.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)