FORUMS

[Guide] Network signal strength and connection fix (in some cases)

786 posts
Thanks Meter: 283

By greenys', Senior Member on 8th October 2019, 12:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi there.

I don't know how many of you purchased this wonderful and budget device in Europe but for me in Hungary B7 and B20 bands are quite frequently used for 4G network connection but the phone itself doesn't support them. Thanks to this I've had horrible experiences like refreshing a page 20 times to reach it. I've found a solution and attached the video here.

After setting these I've not encountered any more "connection timed out", "error connecting to network" and such general issues.

P.S: This of course won't add these bands to your phone but will try to use all available network singnals to reach your destined network addresses.

In some cases you can further tweak your connection to fill your needs, avoid page loading problems and such annoyances/signal loss.
If you dial the "number"
Code:
*#*#4636#*#*
and call it, you'll be redirected to system information and network connection settings. I'll look like this:
System information panel

Here if you live outside China you should avoid any option that has TD-SCDMA in it for it's a China exclusive protocol that was developed for densely populated areas and is only supported in that country. You may go ahead and test all these options to find the one that works best for you. For me it was LTE/CDMA/UMTS auto. The default was WCDMA only.

Step by step guide:
  1. Go to settings app
  2. Tap dual sim & cellular network
  3. Choose your desired sim
  4. Here tap access point name
  5. Under global label choose your provider and tap the small (i) on the right
  6. Scroll down to the bottom and set apn protocol and apn roaming protocol to IpV4/IpV6
  7. Now tap Bearer and check each one except for unknown
  8. On the top right tap Save

That's it. Now your network should seek all kinds ot connection to provide you access to the Internet.

Edit.: This seem not to work any longer from update number 7 and above for Realme disabled thus function. Thanks. However if you download 4G Only Network Mode then the app opens the same settings for you.
Now if you want to go bit deeper:
  1. Copy the provided code (*#*#4636#*#*)
  2. Now go to dialer app ( The code should be copied in there and all you have to do is to tap on the code)
  3. It should open a tab that has "Testing" written on the left - top side on it.
  4. Tap phone information
  5. Now you see "Set preferred network type"
  6. Choose the one that fits your country / isp preferences the most
  7. Rise and repeat till you find your ideal properties

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greenys' For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greenys' Ad-Free
12th October 2019, 03:27 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Thanks greenys', Is very good the video but still if you can write the steps in text it will be better.

About the network bands, I saw in Kimovil that the 4G-LTE Network bands used here in Mexico are the B2, B4 and B5. I bought the Realme Q still with the lack of the B2 band, I think the B4 and B5 will be suficient to me since these are the bands that the bigger companys use here.

Anyone think if will be possible someday to activate that lacking network bands in this Phone?
12th October 2019, 09:22 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sümeg/Csepel

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmv_Josue

Thanks greenys', Is very good the video but still if you can write the steps in text it will be better.

About the network bands, I saw in Kimovil that the 4G-LTE Network bands used here in Mexico are the B2, B4 and B5. I bought the Realme Q still with the lack of the B2 band, I think the B4 and B5 will be suficient to me since these are the bands that the bigger companys use here.

Anyone think if will be possible someday to activate that lacking network bands in this Phone?

Sure will edit my post to write down step by step. I think there is a chance that we'll be able to activate missing bands. The chipset SD712 supports them. It depends on the antenna. We'll see in December what can we do about it after source code release and bootloader unlock.
The Following User Says Thank You to greenys' For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greenys' Ad-Free
15th October 2019, 03:54 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
i cant open test mode
i put *#*#4636#*#* in dial and when test mode should be openned, its not
15th October 2019, 08:11 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sümeg/Csepel

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireXMan

i cant open test mode
i put *#*#4636#*#* in dial and when test mode should be openned, its not

Sometimes the phone won't open it. I don't know why. Keep copying the code and going to the dial menu. Eventually it should be copied in there and all you have to do is click on it. You could try manually typing in the code and then tapping on it.

Edit.: Tweaking does not work starting 07 update and above so don't try this too much.
13th February 2020, 03:34 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:

there's a thread here in xda to modified SD modem baseband, it required baseband calc + qxdm/qpst software. you can activate any baseband you like. search for "change modem baseband"
13th February 2020, 02:43 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sümeg/Csepel

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah_asia

there's a thread here in xda to modified SD modem baseband, it required baseband calc + qdma software. you can activate any baseband you like. search for "change modem baseband"

I've tried a shltload of those tweaks, tools, modem.img edit, change etc. Bands doesn't work that way. Certain bands are hardware limited. These tweaks only allow the usage of certain bands that are unused and hidden by default yet still supported by the baseband module and antenna. In the case of Realme Q the Europe bands are not supported. If anyone succeeds and test their device with the Russian field test apk and b3/7 are successful activated then please share here.
Attached Files
File Type: apk modemcaps-2019-03-13-7.apk - [Click for QR Code] (234.4 KB, 144 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to greenys' For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greenys' Ad-Free
14th February 2020, 01:23 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenys'

I've tried a shltload of those tweaks, tools, modem.img edit, change etc. Bands doesn't work that way. Certain bands are hardware limited. These tweaks only allow the usage of certain bands that are unused and hidden by default yet still supported by the baseband module and antenna. In the case of Realme Q the Europe bands are not supported. If anyone succeeds and test their device with the Russian field test apk and b3/7 are successful activated then please share here.

Well if Realme Q use different antenna then any effort won't do any good.. But I think its bullshit about antenna, its all in the software because realme 5Q which have same SD which embedded with a same modem should have same spec beside software side (modem file).
BTW how did u edit the modem.img file? the files contain in it is unreadable, yes? If you just replace the files from realme pro modem file, it won't work, I've tried that with xiaomi phone.
Why not try save the baseband modem from realme 5 pro global taken from QXDM/QPST, and export it to realme Q?

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

Quote:

Here's a link, might be solution for your problem https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...lcomm-t2877031
Shorcut would be to try take an nv dump from realme 5 pro global and export it to your phone..

Or maybe just flash modem file from realms 5 pro then compare the build.prop and apns.XML file.. or other XML and prop file .. worth to try, yes?
15th February 2020, 07:03 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sümeg/Csepel

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah_asia

Well if Realme Q use different antenna then any effort won't do any good.. But I think its bullshit about antenna, its all in the software because realme 5Q which have same SD which embedded with a same modem should have same spec beside software side (modem file).
BTW how did u edit the modem.img file? the files contain in it is unreadable, yes? If you just replace the files from realme pro modem file, it won't work, I've tried that with xiaomi phone.
Why not try save the baseband modem from realme 5 pro global taken from QXDM/QPST, and export it to realme Q?

Well, I talked with a ROM developer and compiler and I got this information from him (confirming my suspicion) that RMQ probably uses different antenna for some reason. I tried editing bands with QXDM/QSPT and while I successfully unlocked some B7 and B20 couldn't be unlocked despite all my various efforts and methods in the windows apps, some even resulting bootloop. However I didn't know that replacing modem.img isn't supposed to work. Some tried flashing complete rm3p rom package with clean flashing in twrp and the rom booted. That's why I thought rm3p global modem.img should work, thought it didn't.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bandwidth, europe, network error, realme 5 pro, realme q

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)