Sailfish OS’s heritage lies in Nokia times, especially in the MeeGo operating system. Prior to 2011 Nokia and Intel had a vision of an open mobile operating system. Together they invested around 1 billion USD to the project and created an open source based operating system called MeeGo, which was used as a basis for several devices, such as the iconic Nokia N9. Although the Nokia N9 became the beacon of open source operating systems, Nokia decided to end the project and chose instead to continue with Microsoft’s Windows Phone OS. The rest of that is another story.
For more information about SailfishOS click here.
SailfishOS has now been successfully ported to Redmi 2 and here I am sharing the steps to install it on your phone.
Disclaimer: Your warranty is now void. You will lose all your data on your phone and may render it unusable. This software is provided as is without any warranty of any kind whatsoever. The user shall solely be reponsible for any consequence arising out of following this guide. I, or anyone else shall not be held responsible for bricked devices, dead sd-cards, thermonuclear war, you getting fired because the alarm app failed or any other consequence of following this guide. The linked zip contains some proprietary files. tl;dr I wont be held responsible for any unfortunate incidence.
@mal-, @kimmoli, @stskeeps, @Litew, @jusa_, @nokius, @sledges, @ketut.kumajaya, all other SailfishOS porters and The Cyanogenmod Team.
1) Latest TWRP recovery installed (Others may work too but I haven't tested). You can get it here-->http://forum.xda-developers.com/redm...nside-t3277621
2) cm-12.1-20151014-UNOFFICIAL-wt88047 zip by kumajaya. You can get it here--> http://forum.xda-developers.com/redm...uilds-t3200883
3) SailfishOS zip file. Download link given below.
This is not an Android ROM and thus the instructions to install are quiet different. Follow them carefully.
1) Boot to recovery. Wipe cache, dalvik-cache, system and data.
2) Copy the Downloaded files to the sdcard via USB.
3) Install cm-12.1-20151014-UNOFFICIAL-wt88047. Do NOT reboot after installing.
4) Install SailfishOS zip file. The installation will take around 10 minutes so don't think that its stuck. Ignore any errors about being unable to mount data partition.
5) Reboot System when installation succeeds.
Some more Screenshots here courtesy of @Innfinite4evr
1) This is not an Android ROM. Android apps will not work right now. But a way for Android apps to work is being developed by some community members and will soon be available.
2) Music player is not available by default. You can get it by opening the terminal (in-built) and and running " devel-su zypper in jolla-mediaplayer ". It will ask for a password which can be set in Settings>Developer Options. It will be there from next version.
3) For advanced users, you can ssh into the device after setting a password in Developer options using ssh firstname.lastname@example.org over USB.
4) Do not register for a Jolla account. You will get an error about failed IMEI registration. This will be fixed as soon as Jolla allows ported devices to be registered.
5) The Store will not work. It needs a Jolla account. You can however use the openrepos warehouse for installing apps. https://openrepos.net/content/basil/...use-sailfishos . You can either go the link via the browser on your device and download it. Then go to Settings>Transfers and click on the file name to install it. Another method to install it is to download it to your computer and use scp to transfer to to /home/nemo/ and use " pkcon install-local <name of file> " via an ssh terminal.
6) MTP over USB does not work. (Mass Storage technically works but is unusable for all practical purposes)
7) The battery life is currently being affected by the sensors. It will probably be fixed in the next version.
Download Link -->
DO NOT SHARE MY WORK WITHOUT MY EXPLICIT PERMISSION. IF YOU ARE SHARING, LINK TO THIS POST.
UPDATE--> New kernel released.
* For fixing bluetooth and Flashlight, use kumajaya's cm-12.1-20160318 as the base. then install SailfishOS and finally flash the new kernel ( https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591000424942423 ). Bluetooth will not work after a reboot. To make it work again, use " devel-su rfkill unblock bluetooth " and reboot. Camera will break and to fix it, use vim to make the changes from ( https://github.com/adeen-s/droid-con...558abcfe93c916 ) in /etc/dconf/db/vendor.d/jolla-camera-hw.txt
and then execute ( dconf write /apps/jolla-camera/primary/image/imageResolution "'3264x2448'" ).
The new image will contain these changes already but I need some more time before releasing it.