LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1 (Oreo), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.
- WIFI MAC address gets randomly generated (only once, you will keep the same as long as you are on LOS)
- Sepolicy is still permissive
- Nothing else? Otherwise please report it!
- Camera (and flashlight)
- Telephony (Calls and Data)
- Audio (Record and Playback)
- Video Playback
Compatible with all Xiaomi Redmi 4A and Redmi 5A variants (16GB / 32GB), other Redmi devices are not supported.Downloads:
Builds are based off the Xiaomi's Android 7.1 firmware with proprietary blobs from MIUI 8.3.29 dev package.
- No custom kernels are supported in this thread. Only stock kernel and official builds will be supported. No bug reports if that's not the case.
- Reboot to recovery (Custom TWRP recovery for Redmi 4A - Direct link)
- Format /system, /data and /cache
- Install LineageOS zip package
- Install [optional] the LineageOS su addon to get root (there are obviously other root methods, but this is the recommended one as it survives to OTA updates)
- Install [optional] a Google Apps package of your choice (Open GApps is advisable, but stock and super variants are not recommended!!!)
Important notes:Credits & collaborations:
- Current minimal * required * firmware version is MIUI 8.3.29 Global dev, otherwise installation could have issues. Download the latest dev fastboot package directly from Xiaomi and flash it prior to installing LineageOS or, alternatively, download and install one of the latest custom packages containing firmware only (at your own risk).
- GApps can only be flashed on clean installs.
- Formatting data (all user data is wiped, including internal storage) is a must if MIUI was previously installed and device was encrypted.
This work is due to efforts from RedmiDevs founding members that did the full device bring-up. Huge thanks to @xboxfanj for all the help during that bring-up.
Finally, all RedmiDevs & LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!
LineageOS 15.1, ROM for the Xiaomi Redmi 4A & 5A
ROM OS Version: 8.1 Oreo
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.71
ROM Firmware Required: MIUI 8.4.12 dev
Last Updated 2018-05-24