The phone was shipped with a reported "fake global rom". I managed to flash the Global Rom (unofficial by Xiaomi EU). Here's how I did it.
1. Download XiaoMiFlash tool (https://mega.nz/#!aAhCmbSS!LvXzz7F1U...NON_FfclGnjFPE)
2. Download the Official China Stable Rom from Xiaomi (http://en.miui.com/a-234.html) choose Redmi 4A Latest China Stable Version Fastboot File Download
3. Extract the China Rom and change extracted .tar file's extension to .tz
3a. Extract the .tz file with 7zip
4. Open MiFlash tool, select the folder where you've just extracted the .tz file (named rolex_images_V188.8.131.52.MCCCNDI_20161125.0000.00_6.0 _cn)
4a. Check the "clean all and lock" option in the lower right corner in MiFlash tool
5. Power off your device. Now press the 'power' button and 'volume up'
6. A screen appears with several options, choose 'Download'
7. Connect your phone to your PC and await (COM [xx]) to show in MiFlash tool
8. Click flash and wait for it to finish.
9. Reboot your phone and wait (this will take 5-10 minutes)
10. When you've installed the China Rom go to Mi Unlock Status
11. If it says 'Device is unlocked' you're good to go, if your device is locked this method wont work (see picture above)
12. Download the latest weekly rom or stable (your choice) from https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/6-12-22.36929/
13. Download Cofface's TWRP recovery for Redmi 4A: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862683408
14. Flash the recovery if you can - I couldn't so I ran (fastboot boot [filename].img)
15. Phone now boots into TWRP
16. Perform Nandroid and wipe (factory reset)
17. Install Xiaomi EU rom
18. Voila! You have the unoffical global rom by Xiaomi EU and fully functional Play Store.