FORUMS

[ASK] Rooting Redmi 6a without TWRP / using Magisk Boot Image Patching

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

Post Reply Email Thread
I was read https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html. That link describe how to install Magisk in our device in few ways. I was interested "Boot Image Patching" section that tell us about rooting device without TWRP.

Before this, I have 5 redmi devices and 3 of it were rooted-well via TWRP. 1 bricked (totally bricked) and 1 still un-rooted (Redmi 6A-cactus).

My spec of Redmi 6A are:
  • Security Level Patch: 2019-03-01
  • MIUI Version: Global Stable 10.2.8.0 (oCBMIXM)
  • Unlocked: False (i know that i should unlocked it later, i still waiting my 360 hours )
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Storage: 16GB

Since i found that link, i still wondering and keep searching about: "is anybody succesfull root their device (especially Redmi 6A with same spec above) with "Boot Image Patching" way?

if any, please let me know. i just want to hear their review and (of course) their experience.

thanks
12th April 2019, 09:10 AM |#2  
Flag Recife
Thanks Meter: 276

More
Yes, i got it working but i still recommend the TWRP method, but if you're still interested, be careful, don't disable the forceencrypt while patching, you can disable dm-verity but DO NOT disable the forceencrypt or you'll lose IMEI/Baseband.

Anyway, this is the patched_boot.img i've used (extracted from the latest V10.2.8.0.OCBMIXM rom).

https://www80.zippyshare.com/v/2zWEXIcM/file.html

Repeating, i still prefer the TWRP method, be careful.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonaaa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jonaaa Ad-Free
15th April 2019, 08:22 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Surabaya

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaaa

Yes, i got it working but i still recommend the TWRP method, but if you're still interested, be careful, don't disable the forceencrypt while patching, you can disable dm-verity but DO NOT disable the forceencrypt or you'll lose IMEI/Baseband.

Anyway, this is the patched_boot.img i've used (extracted from the latest V10.2.8.0.OCBMIXM rom).

Nice... i'll try that soon when my 360 hours run out..

thanks.
23rd April 2019, 06:49 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Surabaya

More
Hi @jonaaa, its me again..

i was success root my 6a with patched_boot.img. but i've got problem when i installing systemless xposed. Xposed Zip successfully installed, but when i tried to install Xposed Manager then reboot, i got stuck in mi logo. i've been trying for 3 times and getting frustrated

now i decided to install twrp and (again) i got stuck in encryption problem. most of google result said that data partition should be formatted and that dont make any sense for me. how could i formatting data partition while that partition is untouchable.

so i wanna ask you: how you get rid from twrp encrypt-decrypt problem?
24th April 2019, 02:45 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Surabaya

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adista

Hi @jonaaa, its me again..

i was success root my 6a with patched_boot.img. but i've got problem when i installing systemless xposed. Xposed Zip successfully installed, but when i tried to install Xposed Manager then reboot, i got stuck in mi logo. i've been trying for 3 times and getting frustrated

now i decided to install twrp and (again) i got stuck in encryption problem. most of google result said that data partition should be formatted and that dont make any sense for me. how could i formatting data partition while that partition is untouchable.

so i wanna ask you: how you get rid from twrp encrypt-decrypt problem?

Forget it..

My step was wrong. i was ignoring "fastboot format userdata" command in first and install twrp directly...

thanks for your suggestion
26th April 2019, 02:31 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 109

More
Quote:

Forget it..

My step was wrong. i was ignoring "fastboot format userdata" command in first and install twrp directly...

thanks for your suggestion

hi
can share your steps in detail, from beginning to end

Sent from my Redmi 6A using Tapatalk
27th April 2019, 06:27 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Surabaya

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhl

hi
can share your steps in detail, from beginning to end

Sent from my Redmi 6A using Tapatalk

i dont recommend to use my step, because right now i even dont have twrp in my redmi 6a. In other word, im failed.
  1. UBL
  2. Enabling Developer Option
  3. Entry Fastboot mode
  4. fastboot devices (to check it's connected well with pc)
  5. fastboot format userdata
  6. fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.0.0.img
  7. fastboot boot twrp-3.3.0.0.img
For a while, i was able to entry twrp without any password asked and installing magisk (magisk-19.0.zip) smoothly.
But, when i rebooting, i've got stuck at mi logo (i've been wait more than 40 minutes and still at mi logo). When i tried to Volume Up + Power, just nothing happened but back to mi logo and stuck again (and more 40 minutes ).

and finally i did install fastboot-rom from scratch... and since that, twrp wont installed on my redmi even i flash fastboot-rom again and again. Till now i still wondering why and not found the answer yet.
29th April 2019, 08:31 AM |#8  
Flag Recife

More
Quote:

i dont recommend to use my step, because right now i even dont have twrp in my redmi 6a. In other word, im failed.

1. UBL
  2. Enabling Developer Option
  3. Entry Fastboot mode
  4. fastboot devices (to check it's connected well with pc)
  5. fastboot format userdata
  6. fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.0.0.img
  7. fastboot boot twrp-3.3.0.0.img
For a while, i was able to entry twrp without any password asked and installing magisk (magisk-19.0.zip) smoothly.
But, when i rebooting, i've got stuck at mi logo (i've been wait more than 40 minutes and still at mi logo). When i tried to Volume Up + Power, just nothing happened but back to mi logo and stuck again (and more 40 minutes ).

and finally i did install fastboot-rom from scratch... and since that, twrp wont installed on my redmi even i flash fastboot-rom again and again. Till now i still wondering why and not found the answer yet.

Use the TWRP-1020 instead, it works much better.
29th April 2019, 10:51 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hi, i followed this video and i succes for install twrp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522RzZ7_uRM&t=254s
1st May 2019, 01:29 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaaa

My IMEI/Baseband are gone, when I install xposed framework and reboot it's stuck in MI logo, and I tried factory reset from my original MI recovery, it's fix the bootloop but my IMEI/Baseband are gone.... Do you know how to fix it? I spend my time searching to fix it and no result. And I tried flash stock ROM too and no result. Hope you know how fix my issue, thanks!!
2nd May 2019, 01:13 AM |#11  
Flag Recife

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by whothehellami

My IMEI/Baseband are gone, when I install xposed framework and reboot it's stuck in MI logo, and I tried factory reset from my original MI recovery, it's fix the bootloop but my IMEI/Baseband are gone.... Do you know how to fix it? I spend my time searching to fix it and no result. And I tried flash stock ROM too and no result. Hope you know how fix my issue, thanks!!

Someone said to encrypt the data on settings, i don't know how though, if you fix it, next time, don't disable the forceencrypt.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)