Get the OnePlus 6 early at a pop-up event in your city →
FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUT] Get rid of the Dust in Front Camera

194 posts
Thanks Meter: 277

By jwchen119, Senior Member on 9th October 2015, 06:42 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi, everyone. This time I'm gonna show you how to dismantling your Redmi Note 2 and how to avoid letting dust in the front camera.

You can simply check if you'll get this trouble by this way:
Quote:

Cut a slice of paper by scissors or your hair and try to stick into left of the receiver. If you can stick into it, then your front camera will be dusty someday.

First, these are the tools you need:
Quote:

1. Your RN2
2. Scissors
3. Double-sided tape
4. Foam rubber tape (Optional)
5. Alcohol
6. Tiny Screwdriver
7. Glasses cloth
8. Fingernail
9. Patient

tools

Let get started!
First, screw up "12" tiny screws, two of it has stickers on it. I don't even want to send back China to repair it, so don't worry about the stickers.

screws

now, you have to use your nail stick into the left corner of the phone, then follow the slit between main-board base and main-board cover.
You should slit the left side till the "volume + " button and stop here.
Now, stick into the first place and start to slit right, you'll meet right down corner, then keep on.
Keeps slit to the right up corner near the screw hole than stop here.
Here's the most difficult part, you should carefully hold both side of the cover and slowly pull up them by your prefer hand.
The other hand, again use your nail to slit into it, this would be hard, so be patient and carefully, or you'll brake your main-board cover into two piece

main-board

After you finish previous step, it is getting easy now.

camrea module

What I point out is the front camera module, carefully pick it up with your nail , you can clean the dust now
Be very carefully that don't bend the cable or you'll screw all up
Use whatever you like to clean up the space between camera and glass.
Now, times to seal it up!

Use the double-side tape to stick on the back of the front camera module
First, cut it to fit the size of camera and stick on it one by one. Don't forget to remove both of the sticker.
I use 4 piece of the tape. Remember, don't remove the last sticker of the tape!
After that, you can put back your camera module.

Now, you can put back your main-board cover and try to boot your device, if it boot up and nothing hurt, then you are free to go

All the pics took by my old Lenovo A820
date
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150930_202556-2.jpg
Views:	26666
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	3500647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150930_203053-2.jpg
Views:	26348
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	3500648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150930_203513-2.jpg
Views:	26270
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	3500649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150930_203855-2.jpg
Views:	26172
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	3500650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150930_203909-2.jpg
Views:	26378
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	3500651  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jwchen119 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jwchen119 Ad-Free

9th October 2015, 03:53 PM |#2  
Flag Thessaloniki
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Hello!

First of all thank you for the tutorial. I am going to use it for sure - I don't want to send it back either!
I don't have to do the test, I already have dust

So, there are two things that i need you to clarify for me, if possible.

1. I find this part "You should slit the left side till the "volume - " button and stop here.
Now, stick into the first place and start to slit right, you'll meet right down corner, then keep on.
Keeps slit to the right up corner near the screw hole than stop here." really difficult. I found this myfixguide.com/manual/xiaomi-redmi-note-2-teardown/ that doesn't say that it's hard, but I tottaly trust you.
So, when I meet with my nail the volume - , then I stick my nail "more inside" (sorry for this)? And when you say left and right, you mean as I look the phone from the back, right? From which corner do I start?

2. In the last photo, i can't see how you plase the tape, which is the most important I guess.

Can you upload a video or pictures on the route your nail followed to open the device please? Of course not open it again, from the outside, just to be sure.

Thank you in advance and for your time. Hope we will find a solution for this problem
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntwnisGr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AntwnisGr Ad-Free
10th October 2015, 06:51 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tainan
Thanks Meter: 277

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntwnisGr

Hello!

First of all thank you for the tutorial. I am going to use it for sure - I don't want to send it back either!
I don't have to do the test, I already have dust

So, there are two things that i need you to clarify for me, if possible.

1. I find this part "You should slit the left side till the "volume - " button and stop here.
Keeps slit to the right up corner near the screw hole than stop here." really difficult. I found this myfixguide.com/manual/xiaomi-redmi-note-2-teardown/ that doesn't say that it's hard, but I tottaly trust you.
So, when I meet with my nail the volume - , then I stick my nail "more inside" (sorry for this)? And when you say left and right, you mean as I look the phone from the back, right? From which corner do I start?

2. In the last photo, i can't see how you plase the tape, which is the most important I guess.

Can you upload a video or pictures on the route your nail followed to open the device please? Of course not open it again, from the outside, just to be sure.

Thank you in advance and for your time. Hope we will find a solution for this problem

Sorry about not clearly explained the detail of how to tear down.

Here's the route how I tear down my device, and sorry I just modify the image to show you this because I don't have my second device now.

It is easy to stick your fingernail into left bottom corner, and do like the image shows. On left side, you'll reach "volume + " (sorry it is "+" not "-" , my bad.)and near infrared blaster, and on the other side, you'll reach near 3.5 mm audio hole.
It is not recommend to keeps using your nail to slit the upper side because you can see the gap is not a straight line , you should hold both side near the position like the image below and using one hand on it like to open your back cover while using the other hand's nail to stick into the gap to helping the opening.

Paste the tape on the back of the camera like I circle out. Just on the square.
It is not means there's no anti-dust washer, but it is not tie enough to make it seal, paste tapes on the back of camera just to push the camera module more close to the glass to make sure that washer works.

On the other hand why I don't recommend using foam rubber tape, some may ask this should works better than double-side tape.
1. Temperature near here is very high, you can see the CPU's temp. mostly high at 70 Celsius, this may melt our tape.
2. We can easily control the thickness.

Sorry for my bad English. I hope you understand, if you have any question, I'm glad to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rn2_teardown_1.jpg
Views:	22992
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	3501661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150930_203855-2.jpg
Views:	23032
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	3501681   Click image for larger version

Name:	rn2_teardown_2.jpg
Views:	23160
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	3501682  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwchen119 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jwchen119 Ad-Free
11th October 2015, 08:49 PM |#4  
Flag Thessaloniki
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Ok thank you! I will give it a try soon

So, now, do you get any new dust after this procedure? And if you do the test with the paper from the left (to see if it is well fitted), is it ok now??
12th October 2015, 09:36 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks for this!

I'm going to give it a go soon. I've been having some earpiece issues so I'll have a look at the connections while I'm at it. Is the earpiece speaker relatively easily accessible?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mercerism For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mercerism Ad-Free
29th October 2015, 09:31 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Dust started accumulating in my front camera. It has affected the camera quality. I can't understand the tutorial well. Can anybody make a video tutorial of this?
29th October 2015, 11:16 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh33r4j

Dust started accumulating in my front camera. It has affected the camera quality. I can't understand the tutorial well. Can anybody make a video tutorial of this?

yeah, video would be great
The Following User Says Thank You to Pendekar7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pendekar7 Ad-Free
3rd December 2015, 06:00 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Thank you for the tutorial, having the same problem.

Just in case I didn't undestand well: we are using tape just to make pressure on the camera so the dust can't get there, right?

Thank you!!
6th June 2016, 01:03 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks a lot ,just did everything and worked perfectly of course,now I can take selfies again :P thanks for the tutorial!!!So easy,guys dont be afraid ,at least nothing happened to me .
6th June 2016, 04:56 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thanks for this. I didn't "pull" both sides apart after reaching the headphone socket, but i gently pushed one side away from the other with one hand, and continued on the other side of the headphone socket with a fingernail, and like that it popped open completely. Cleaned it with a cotton swab (making a rotating motion between my fingers as i "polished" the glass.

It was actually a lot less scary than i imagined. I even managed to put the tiny stickers back on the screws
16th June 2016, 09:07 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I broke the mid frame do you guys know where to get sparepart?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)