cannot update Gmail app (error -504)

Search This thread

Mister Teflon

Nov 21, 2018
I've been having this problem too. Something happened about a month ago, don't know what, but now this phone is horrible, it has so many problems.

Btw my mother has a Redmi 4X and it's been working fine.

Have they intentionally screwed up our phones so we'll get a new one?

adanugraha

Jan 5, 2018
Jakarta
Cant Update G-Apps

Same here, I have the same problem with my Redmi Note 2.

It all started when the phone starts lagging, becomes very very slow, reboot / start up took 6-8 minutes, and sometimes it just restart itself.

So what I did was Factory Reset the phone, erase all data, and format the SD Card.

After the reset, everything looks fine, start up is quick, no more lagging, battery performance also better.

One problem after the reset is that I can't update most Google apps and can't install Google Keep Notes.

Someone told me that this is because Google starts collecting applications fee from manufacturers, and manufacturers (Xiaomi in this case) don't want to pay fee for older devices like Redmi Note 2.

The result is google won't provide any updates for devices that are not registered/(pay fee) to them.

Yaelede

Apr 25, 2014
LinageOS?

According to this post
https://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4783894&page=3#pid33146415
it seems that there will be no other way to save our RN2s, but to put a custom ROM on our phones.
LinageOS 13/Marshmallow seems to be a promising solution (https://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-2/orig-development/6-x-based-roms-nofearnohappy-kernel-t3494631)
My question (rather request): is there a page somewhere also where less experinced users could have clear instructions on how to put this ROM on our phone. Mostly I found pages with only download links with very poor installing descriptions. Many RN2 users are involved in this Google disaster whose hobby is not only burning custom ROMs on their phone every week ...
Thank you.

vetriolo

Aug 29, 2016
According to this post
https://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4783894&page=3#pid33146415
it seems that there will be no other way to save our RN2s, but to put a custom ROM on our phones.
LinageOS 13/Marshmallow seems to be a promising solution (https://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-2/orig-development/6-x-based-roms-nofearnohappy-kernel-t3494631)
My question (rather request): is there a page somewhere also where less experinced users could have clear instructions on how to put this ROM on our phone. Mostly I found pages with only download links with very poor installing descriptions. Many RN2 users are involved in this Google disaster whose hobby is not only burning custom ROMs on their phone every week ...
Thank you.
Why not LineageOs 14.1 with nougat? https://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-2/orig-development/testing-lineageos-14-1-lineageos-based-t3833401

Reactions: Yaelede

Yaelede

Apr 25, 2014
I will try this still today. I wil let you know the results.
Just rooted my device, now I'm backing up my stuff. We'll see soon..

SUCCESS! LineageOS 14.1/Android 7.1.2 works!
I can just encourage all RN2 users with Lollypop to upgrade.
I'm getting acquinted with the new system (still I miss some of the old MIUI), but so far so good!
GOOD LUCK!
P.S.: back up your data first!

Yaelede

Apr 25, 2014
De nada! :)
I installed this firmware few weeks ago. It's smooth and cool. The only problem is battery consumption... I made 1.5 h of SOT.
Wich version do you install? Tell us about battery and bugs ...

I have installed this image: lineage-14.1-20181202-UNOFFICIAL-hermes by HERMES_DEVS
I have also some concerns about battery consumption, but it's too early to give you a final verdict. I'm testing it, I installed it only yesterday, so this is my first full day with the baby..
I have also difficulties to set apps to autostart and also to keep apps in memory. In MIUI it was somehow easier.
But I keep digging in the system settings. ;)

zoneezonee

Nov 11, 2015
I have installed this image: lineage-14.1-20181202-UNOFFICIAL-hermes by HERMES_DEVS
I have also some concerns about battery consumption, but it's too early to give you a final verdict. I'm testing it, I installed it only yesterday, so this is my first full day with the baby..
I have also difficulties to set apps to autostart and also to keep apps in memory. In MIUI it was somehow easier.
But I keep digging in the system settings. ;)

What about Google Apps ? How to instal ? Google certified and Google auto update from store ?

I try this ROM -- microG dont work -- can't login on Google account - ERROR

Last edited:

Yaelede

Apr 25, 2014
De nada! :)
I installed this firmware few weeks ago. It's smooth and cool. The only problem is battery consumption... I made 1.5 h of SOT.
Wich version do you install? Tell us about battery and bugs ...

Which version of rooting did you manage to work? I tried Magisk first (it was recommended), but I couldn't root my phone with it. Then I installed the good old SuperSU, which finally worked, but I don't know if it's the proper root for a custom ROM like LinageOS14..

vetriolo

Aug 29, 2016
Which version of rooting did you manage to work? I tried Magisk first (it was recommended), but I couldn't root my phone with it. Then I installed the good old SuperSU, which finally worked, but I don't know if it's the proper root for a custom ROM like LinageOS14..

I installed SuperSU and no problem...

tal1974

Jun 22, 2012
I installed this image too. Wakelock Detector shows constantly (for 11 hours): EINT wakelock 12300, WLAN timeout 18700, battery suspend wakelock 2 h 10 m.
I installed OpenGapps and superSU too.

Yaelede

Apr 25, 2014
HAHAH I forgot about OpenGApps
But tell me - it's important - You have certified Google devices after this (Google Store - Settings - at the bottom of the page)? And do you may upgrade latest actualization of Google apps from store or no ? Gmail, Youtube, Google app to the latest version ?
The device is NOT certified (should it be??), however I could update a few Google apps already (Chrome, Keep, Maps, Google Play Games).

zoneezonee

Nov 11, 2015
The device is NOT certified (should it be??), however I could update a few Google apps already (Chrome, Keep, Maps, Google Play Games).

One guy on en.miui.com write about our phone - and say "the problem is on Android 5 if you instal newest android 6,7, then everything back to normal with instal google applications.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solve for me

Must Root.
    Using root Explorer...
    Open root Explorer, then mount to system, select and press file build.prop
    Open in Text Editor
    Those two entries need to be inserted into Last row in build.prop file:
    dalvik.vm.image-dex2oat-filter=speed
    dalvik.vm.dex2oat-filter=interpret-only
    Press save & exit
    And enjoy update all Google LLC apk
    Since a month or so, I have problems with updating and installing certain apps.
    - Gmail app cannot be updated neither automatically nor manually. I tried clearing app cache, store cache, but no success. I receive error code 504 after at least 10 minutes waiting.
    - I had the same problem with Google Keep, then I unistalled it, now I cannot even reinstall it.
    - something could be wrong with Google play services too, because sometimes its icon simply disappears, or when I click on it, it says 'This app is not installed'
    - I have however no problem with my other apps.

I did a factory reset already twice with full data deletion, but the above problems still persist, as if I did nothing.

Can anybody help me?
    Thank you.
    Yaelede
    Since a month or so, I have problems with updating and installing certain apps.
    - Gmail app cannot be updated neither automatically nor manually. I tried clearing app cache, store cache, but no success. I receive error code 504 after at least 10 minutes waiting.
    - I had the same problem with Google Keep, then I unistalled it, now I cannot even reinstall it.
    - something could be wrong with Google play services too, because sometimes its icon simply disappears, or when I click on it, it says 'This app is not installed'
    - I have however no problem with my other apps.

I did a factory reset already twice with full data deletion, but the above problems still persist, as if I did nothing.

Can anybody help me?
    Thank you.
    Yaelede

Same thing for me....
    In addition every boot is super slow... :rolleyes:
    The issue has been resolved for some time now. I still use the phone regularly as my main phone and have no problems.