Can anyone list the steps needed to get AOSP/Lineage OS on a clean device?

Search This thread

NealSchwartz

May 23, 2017
As there are different steps and threads all over xda as to how to go about rooting redmi note 3 and then installing a custom ROM, I was wondering if someone could list or direct me to the correct working method to unlock bootloader, root, and install a custom ROM.

Note: I haven't done any tampering with the device, no TWRP, no unlocking bootloader via the hack or official method. I have only installed OTA updates sent to the device via Xiaomi.

Current Device Specifications: (Snapdragon)

Android Version: 6.0.1 MMB29M

MIUI Version: MIUI Global 8.5 | Stable 8.5.7.0(MHOMIED)

Kernel Version: 3.10.84-perf-g9105347

apexashwin

Jun 5, 2013
nagercoil
Both.. official method is simple and with unofficial u may get into firmware probs later while flashing roms which leads to soft/hard brick

NealSchwartz

May 23, 2017
Both.. official method is simple and with unofficial u may get into firmware probs later while flashing roms which leads to soft/hard brick

So, I got the permission from Xiaomi. But, I can't run the Unlock tool on Linux. I tried using VMware Player but the device is still not recognized. Have you had any luck using the official method on Ubuntu?

deepjyoti30

May 26, 2015
Guwahati
So, I got the permission from Xiaomi. But, I can't run the Unlock tool on Linux. I tried using VMware Player but the device is still not recognized. Have you had any luck using the official method on Ubuntu?
Forget it if you don't have windows. Xiaomi's unlock tool does not support linux. So you can't go with official method.
And the unofficial method requires a modded fastboot ehich is only available for windows. You can't go with this way too.
So, no way out if you don't have windows.
Also don't think of unlocking it unofficially if you don't have windows because most of the unofficial unlocked devices get locked which again requires the modded fastboot to unlock it.
The last problem, seriously and sadly, doesn't have any other solution
I am unofficially unlocked and few days back i had clean installed ubuntu on my pc but now i am back on windows. Why?? Because my device got locked and i couldn't help but install windows. You have been warned!

NealSchwartz

May 23, 2017
I am unofficially unlocked and few days back i had clean installed ubuntu on my pc but now i am back on windows. Why?? Because my device got locked and i couldn't help but install windows. You have been warned!

Can the device get locked even after installing a custom ROM? What happens when it gets re-locked? ("Soft brick?")

deepjyoti30

May 26, 2015
Guwahati
Can the device get locked even after installing a custom ROM? What happens when it gets re-locked? ("Soft brick?")
Yes it can. Actually it hapoens mostly when we flash firmwares which have the unmodified emmc_appsboot.mbn file.
When we unlock unofficially this file is modified.
Thus flashing the firmware locks it.
I would not call it softbrick. When that happens you cannot boot anymore. Only fastboot mode is available and it doesn't allow us to flah any files since the device got locked again.
So we again need to go to edl mode which is only accessible by the modified fastboot available only for windows.
Enjoy linux?