MIUI7 & MIUI8
Mediatek & Snapdragon Variants
Global/China & Beta/Stable ROMs
MIUI is a forked version of Android with plenty of additional features & tweaks not found in stock AOSP ROM. MIUI is very smooth & has a great battery life on the Redmi Note 3. The powerful Snapdragon 650 with its excellent single core performance coupled with dual channel LPDDR3 RAM & eMMC 5.1 flash storage on the Redmi Note 3 SD results in blazing fast 1st time app opening speeds.
MIUI by default is very aggressive at killing background apps in the running in the memory, as a result it is unable to keep more than 3-4 apps in the memory while multi-tasking or after waking up the device. Default settings are aimed to keep as much free RAM as possible thats where the problem lies. It kills the apps running in the background to keep most of its RAM free. Apps get killed & have to be reloaded again from the flash storage into the memory, this takes a lot of CPU, I/O cycles & makes the end user experience less enjoyable. Below settings might make your multitasking a bit better at the cost of less free RAM, but that shouldn't matter as RAM is meant to be used not kept free. Always remember Free RAM is Wasted RAM. 2GB users will notice the difference immediately.
• Settings App > Additional Settings > Battery & Performance > Manage Apps Battery Usage > Power Saving Modes
- Off : All background data & location access of runing apps will be enabled, less battery life
- On : Default Setting, more battery life
• Settings App > Battery & Performance > Manage Apps Battery Usage > Choose apps
- From there you can configure the background data & location services for each app.
• Settings App > Additional Settings > Battery & Performance > System Animations
- Hide System Animations: Speeds up device's performance
To enable Developer Options : Settings App > About Phone > MIUI Version > Keep on tapping till it is enabled.
• Settings App > Additional Settings > Developer Options
- Window Animation Scale: 0.5x or Off
- Transistion Animation Scale: 0.5x or Off
- Animator Animation Scale: 0.5x or Off
- Don't Keep Activities : Disabled
- Background Process Limit : Standard Limit
- Memory Optimization : Off
- Show All ANRs : Disabled
- Force-Closed Apps : Disabled
- Turn On MIUI Optimization : Disabled
Security App Settings
• Security App > Settings > Cleaner > Clean Automatically > Disabled
• Security App > Settings > Cleaner > Scan App Memory > Disabled
• Security App > Settings > Cleaner > Update Automatically > Disabled
• Security App > Settings > Blocklist > Disable
• Security App > Settings > Battery Usage > Turn Off Mobile Data > Never
• Security App > Settings > Battery Usage > Clear Cache > Never
• Security App > Permissions > Autostart : Disable unnecessary apps which you dont want to get started at boot
Lock Apps In Memory
You can lock your desired / most frequently used apps in the memory. Open your app, let the app get launched fully. Now open the recent apps menu. Instead of swiping up to close the app, swipe down the app icon or recent app screen. A lock icon will be displayed on the top left corner of the app icon or screen. This locks the app into the memory & wont get force killed in the background. To unlock the app repeat the same process and tap to unlock it from memory.
I am now able to use 4-5 apps simultaneously : Facebook + Messenger + Whatsapp + Music + RSBrowser(3 tabs) on my Redmi Note 3 Snapdragon 2GB model effortlessly. After doing the changes, restart your device. You might have to re-apply these changes after every MIUI OTA update. These settings have hardly any effect on the battery life. I am getting more or less the same battery backup after using these settings.
Wiki : What does each and every option do?
• Memory Optimization : This option sets how aggressive the OS will be while managing RAM. If its set to a higher value the OS will frequently clear background apps running in the memory.
- Higher Memory Optimization > Lesser apps in the memory > More free RAM > Lower Multi-tasking
- Lower/Off Memory Optimization > More apps in the memory > Less free RAM > Better Multi-tasking
• Show All ANRs : This option enables MIUI to show an obtrusive dialogue box after an app fails to stop responding . Setting this off doesnt show the pop-up frequently.
• Force-Closed Apps : This option enables the OS to show an obtrusive dialogue box after an app force-closes unexpectedly. Setting this off doesnt show the message.
• Turn On MIUI Optimization : This option enables a pleothora of MIUI based settings & optimizations as per the guidelines set by the MIUI developers. This setting can sometimes cause a variety of issues on non-MIUI based apps such as Google Apps & Apps from Google Playstore. Its better to disable if you rely on Google Playstore for apps & services or use Global Stable or Global Beta MIUI ROMs
With the MIUI Optimization Enabled, some users reported the following issues.
- Cannot set third-party launcher like Nova, Apex or Google Now Launcher.
- Wallpaper cannot be set using in-built options via custom launchers.
- Occasional lags, stutters or freezes while scrolling web-pages & long lists.
- Custom apps set as default restore to default MIUI apps on reboot.
- Cannot set accessibility services on reboot.
- Background apps cannot sync data.
- Music players stop playing after sometime.
- UI Animations are not synced properly.