Redmi note 3 not charging, the usb is dead, warning with chargers QC, possible fix.

I burned my diode with...

• QC3.0 Charger

Votes: 44 55.7%
  • QC2.0 Charger

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Original Charger

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Other, please comment

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Kudeshido

Apr 19, 2013
HTC One V
LG G2 Mini
Thank you OP, for this quick tutorial and fix.:good:
In my case, Zener diodes were burned on both small board with USB port and main board.
I just scrapped them carefully with thin screwdriver, and now it's charging again.
I was thinking on getting a new phone, but I have more important things to spend cash on, so my kenzo stays with me until it breaks again, so far going strong for 3.5 years and second battery.:cowboy:

poster74

Jul 27, 2012
Hi,

I have Redmi Note 5 Pro and I Suspect the same issue.

It doesn't charge anymore, it will charge for 1 or 2 seconds and then stop for 2 seconds and start again etc. When it does charge, it charges at about 200mh (as seen from Ampere app).
I replaced with a new battery and USB charging port and still the same problem. I suspect that its the zenner diode on the motherboard.

The only problem is that I don't know where the diode is on the Redmi Note 5 Pro. There is a video that takes apart the entire phone (link below) and from the video I have attached 2 screenshots. To the side of the top usb flex cable, there is a tiny silver rectangle, is this the diode ? Any ideas?

I dont really know how to use a multimeter, but I managed to get 5V with one probe on the the charging going in and the other probe on the bottom usb socket, where the flex plugs in (yellow in the attached pic). However when I attached the probe to the top of the usb flex cable. I could not get a reading. Does this mean that the flex cable connector could be faulty and not the diode ?

I couldnt attached pic, but from the video you can see it at 3:40 and also 4:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaQBX1v4sj4

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was studying this problem, people charge the phone with QC3.0 chargers and the phone stops charging, what really happens is that the zener diode that has the charging plate for security reasons (stabilizes the load voltage) Stop charging because the zener it's short-circuited (QC gives more voltage than it supports, is designed for 5v, there is QC of 12v or more). A possible solution is to cut the zener. (It works again but without voltage stabilization, it would be better to replace it but it is very complicated).
    I leave some images for the one who has the problem and does not get the spare.
    There is also a zener diode on the other side, on the motherboard, if cutting the zener in charge plate does not serve, check the motherboard zener.
    View attachment usb.zip
    As living without overvolt protection isn't the best, and the next one to die after them is the regulator, I manage to change those 2 zener diodes: their SMD-code is BB for the one onto the motherboard and 8F for the one onto the USB charging flex. They are obviously really cheap, 0.30 cent each here in Europe, but you need good soldering skills or a professional repair.
    The 8F is a 3 pin zener, just cut away the pin2 and solder anode and cathode onto the 2 (they are 2 twins in a square) board pins, respecting polarity (easy to check from micro USB).
    Hope it will be useful for someone else :)
    There is also a zener diode on the other side, on the motherboard, if cutting the zener in charge plate does not serve, check the motherboard zener.
    View attachment 4348127

You sir, are a genius!

My phone charged perfectly fine overnight but this evening when I plugged it in with a 1A charger.. nothing.
    Treid another charger and cable, nothing, tried my PC and got an over-voltage warning, which triggered me to realise there was a circuit problem, not a bad microUSB or battery.
    I found this post, popped off the charging circuit Zener, but no joy.
    Inspected the Motherboard Zener with a zoomed in camera and good light source and I could see the burn marks around the Zener on the circuit board substrate.
    Popped that one off and we are back in business!

Recommend to people to use a PC to test for failure AND to inspect the diodes for damage prior to removing them!

For what it's worth, I have been using a Xiaomi Charger that came with my wife's Mi5 handset.
    Running NOS8.1 and Radon kernel.
    the zener must be burned by over charge of current.
    The question is, why qc3.0 burns the diode with stock kernel? Maybe bad quality chargers?

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk

stock kernel uses charger sources not released by Xiaomi
    hence we use a different caf + mi max ported version of charger driver

moreover AGNi uses updated charger driver from caf/LA.BR.1.3.7 merged with above

so there r differences.. some we don't know about

also i not heard ppl having boards burnt with stock..

Sent from my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 using XDA Labs