FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUTORIAL][MOD] Get Pixel Blue Accent Color & Round Icons on Any ROM

229 posts
Thanks Meter: 138

By LeoYL, Senior Member on 25th January 2017, 06:06 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Note: Due to some strange problems, this tutorial might not display correctly in XDA Android client. In this case, please view this thread in your web browser.

Round Icon Screenshot Blue Accent Color Screenshot

In this thread I will share a method to get blue accent color and round icons, which are only available in Pixel stock ROM, on not only Redmi Note 3 but literally any device with Android 7.1. This can be achieved by modifying framework-res.apk and some other APKs using apktool.

The most exciting thing is that you can also make the Settings app's icon become the round and blue icon on Pixel instead of the original gear and teal icon.

I will also share flashable ZIP(s) I have made for ROM(s) that I use. Because I'm using a network with very low bandwidth, it's hard for me to download so many ROMs, therefore I mayn't make flashable ZIPs for other ROMs. However, you can send the APKs in the ROMs that you use to me, and I will be able to make modifications for you.

Disclaimer

Although this method has been tested on my Redmi Note 3 and Sony Xperia Z1 (both have LineageOS unofficial installed), and I am trying my best to ensure the accuracy of the tutorial, I am not responsible for any damage on your device's hardware, software or data, or any consequences of the damage.

Prerequisite

To manually modify your ROM, you need the following:
  • Working Apktool on your PC
  • Working TWRP recovery on your device with Android 7.1.x
Optional:
  • ROOT permission and and any root file explorer on your device
  • If you prefer doing all modifications on your PC first, you can use System_Extractor to extract your ROM on your PC, so you don't need to grab files from your Android device.

Steps

0. Make sure that Apktool and TWRP (and System_Extractor) work on your devices. You might need to install JRE (and Python) on your PC.

1. Obtain /system/framework/framework-res.apk of the ROM you are using. You can do this by one of these methods:
  • If you have TWRP, you can use the file explorer shipped with TWRP to get the file.
  • If you have ROOT permission and any root file explorer on your device, you can browse /system/framework/ and get the APK.
  • If you have System_Extractor on your PC, you can extract the ROM and get the file on your computer.
1.1. If you also want to modify Settings app's icon, obtain /system/priv-app/Settings/Settings.apk and sometimes all the APKs under /system/framework/ directory. You might need all the APKs under framework directory because without them apktool would throw an error. On most CM-based/Lineage-based ROMs, you need /system/framework/org.cyanogenmod.platform-res.apk in addition to framework-res.apk.
1.2. If you also want to modify Download app's icon, obtain /system/priv-app/DocumentsUI/DocumentsUI.apk.
2. Copy all the files you get to one place on your PC. Start terminal/command prompt and execute

Code:
apktool d *.apk
to decode *.apk to a new folder.
2.1. If you are dealing with Settings.apk, you may experience the following error:
Code:
Can't find framework resources for package of id: 63. You must install proper framework files, see project website for more info.
You need to "install" all the APKs under /system/framework/ directory first, like:

Code:
apktool if framework-res.apk
apktool if org.cyanogenmod.platform-res.apk
Then try decoding Settings.apk again.
See this webpage for more details.
3. You should now see a folder named framework-res.
Open that folder and open res/values/bools.xml, then find the following line:
Code:
    <bool name="config_useRoundIcon">false</bool>
To enable round icon, edit that line as:
Code:
    <bool name="config_useRoundIcon">true</bool>
Then, open res/values/colors.xml and find the following lines:
Code:
    <color name="primary_device_default_dark">@color/primary_material_dark</color>
    <color name="primary_device_default_light">@color/primary_material_light</color>
    <color name="primary_device_default_settings">@color/primary_material_settings</color>
    <color name="primary_dark_device_default_dark">@color/primary_dark_material_dark</color>
    <color name="primary_dark_device_default_light">@color/primary_dark_material_light</color>
    <color name="primary_dark_device_default_settings">@color/primary_dark_material_settings</color>
    <color name="secondary_device_default_settings">@color/secondary_material_settings</color>
    <color name="tertiary_device_default_settings">@color/tertiary_material_settings</color>
    <color name="quaternary_device_default_settings">@color/quaternary_material_settings</color>
    <color name="accent_device_default_700">@color/material_deep_teal_700</color>
    <color name="accent_device_default_light">@color/accent_material_light</color>
    <color name="accent_device_default_dark">@color/accent_material_dark</color>
    <color name="accent_device_default_50">@color/material_deep_teal_50</color>
To change the accent color from teal to blue, make these modifications:
Code:
    <color name="primary_device_default_dark">#ff2d2d2d</color>
    <color name="primary_device_default_light">@color/primary_material_light</color>
    <color name="primary_device_default_settings">@color/primary_device_default_dark</color>
    <color name="primary_dark_device_default_dark">#ff242424</color>
    <color name="primary_dark_device_default_light">@color/primary_dark_material_light</color>
    <color name="primary_dark_device_default_settings">@color/primary_dark_device_default_dark</color>
    <color name="secondary_device_default_settings">#ff3a3a3a</color>
    <color name="tertiary_device_default_settings">#ff616161</color>
    <color name="quaternary_device_default_settings">#ff9e9e9e</color>
    <color name="accent_device_default_700">#ff3367d6</color>
    <color name="accent_device_default_light">#ff4285f4</color>
    <color name="accent_device_default_dark">#ff5e97f6</color>
    <color name="accent_device_default_50">#ffe8f0fe</color>
(These values are the ones that come with Pixel stock ROM)
3.1. If you want th change icons of Settings and Downloads apps, download the attached ZIP in this thread, then copy the corresponding folders in the ZIP file to your workspace and replace original app icons.
If you are using a ROM with the new file manager in LineageOS, which has an icon of cyan folder, use icons in LineageOS_DocumentsUI.zip
4. Use the following command to build modified APKs:
Code:
apktool b <folder-name> -c
Then you can find the APK under <folder-name>/dist/<folder-name>.apk.

5. Copy the APKs to your device, and reboot into TWRP recovery. Use TWRP's file manager to replace the original APKs with new files. Make sure you apply
Code:
chmod 0644
for all the new APKs.
You can easily do this in TWRP's file manager.
Note: when your device is still in the Android OS, do not replace the files, especially framework-res.apk, because it probably causes boot loop.

6. Reboot and enjoy!

Flashable ZIPs

You can directly flash these ZIPs in TWRP to get blue accent color and round icons.
In most cases, these ZIPs are ROM-and-version-specific, meaning that each ZIP is likely to work on only one version of one ROM. For instance, a ZIP for a January LineageOS unofficial build might not work on a December LineageOS unofficial build, even if they come from the same developer. Flash them at your own risk.
LineageOSNitrogen OS
Made by Anarchy666
  • For 20170418: Click here to download
  • For 20170331: Click here to download
  • For 20170329: Click here to download
  • For 20170327: Click here to download
Reference

If this thread helps you, please click on the "Thanks" thumb up button!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pixel_App_Icons.zip - [Click for QR Code] (103.0 KB, 3580 views)
File Type: zip LineageOS_DocumentsUI.zip - [Click for QR Code] (87.3 KB, 1390 views)
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to LeoYL For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LeoYL Ad-Free
25th January 2017, 06:33 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beijing

More
Changes
5 May 2017
  • Add ZIP for official LineageOS 14.1 nightly 20170503 build
23 April 2017
  • I've successfully updated to 7.1.2 and added ZIP for official LineageOS 14.1 20170419 build
20 April 2017
  • Add icon pack for LineageOS DocumentsUI.apk, which contains dedicated icon for ic_launcher_filemanager.png
  • Reformat download section
  • Add some files for Nitrogen OS made by Anarchy666
28 March 2017
  • Add zip for NitrogenOS 20170327, which was made by Anarchy666
8 Mar 2017
  • Add ZIP for official LineageOS 14.1 nightly 20170308 build
4 Feb 2017
  • Add more lines in accent color modification so that more visual elements in system UI can be toned to Pixel blue style
31 Jan 2017
  • Add ZIP for official LineageOS 14.1 nightly 20170131 build
26 Jan 2017
  • Add ZIP for minz1's LineageOS 14.1 20170108 build
  • Add ZIP for official LineageOS 14.1 nightly 20170125 build
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeoYL For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LeoYL Ad-Free
25th January 2017, 07:55 AM |#3  
Flag Vilnius
Thanks Meter: 654

Donate to Me
More
Nice to see that someone did a tutorial. Bcz a lot of people asks me about that but as I don't have enough time so Thanks
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgeranimus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mgeranimus Ad-Free
26th January 2017, 05:37 AM |#4  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I will try it on nitrogen os
27th January 2017, 07:41 AM |#5  
Flag Chisinau
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Thank you for the tutorial! I tried it on NitrogenOS, worked good, except I was unable to compile back Settings.apk but that’s not the question that I want to ask. After applying recompiled framework-res apps that were already installed still have old-fashioned icons. How can I force them to rebuild icons without wiping data?
27th January 2017, 07:52 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beijing

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy666

Thank you for the tutorial! I tried it on NitrogenOS, worked good, except I was unable to compile back Settings.apk but that’s not what question that I want to ask. After applying recompiled framework-res apps that were already installed still have old-fashioned icons. How can I force them to rebuild icons without wiping data?

Are you using Pixel Launcher? Try deleting /data/data/com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher/databases/app_icons.db and /data/data/com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher/databases/app_icons.db-journal, then restart Pixel Launcher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170127-154930.png
Views:	1430
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	4018787  
The Following User Says Thank You to LeoYL For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LeoYL Ad-Free
27th January 2017, 08:11 AM |#7  
Flag Chisinau
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Thank you for the answer, I already guessed to delete pixel's launcher data/cache and now all icons are round )
The Following User Says Thank You to Anarchy666 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Anarchy666 Ad-Free
27th January 2017, 12:30 PM |#8  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 510

More
Worked for me! Thanks @LeoYL Already hit the Thanks button.

Keep up the good work!

Regards
PoseidonKing
The Following User Says Thank You to PoseidonKing For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PoseidonKing Ad-Free
31st January 2017, 03:35 PM |#9  
Flag Niagara Falls
Thanks Meter: 1,976

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoYL

Changes
31 Jan 2017
  • Add ZIP for official LineageOS 14.1 nightly 20170131 build
26 Jan 2017
  • Add ZIP for minz1's LineageOS 14.1 20170108 build
  • Add ZIP for official LineageOS 14.1 nightly 20170125 build

@LeoYL When I try to recompile framework res it fails saying can't find sources. This is with latest lineage official Jan 31/17
31st January 2017, 10:29 PM |#10  
Flag Niagara Falls
Thanks Meter: 1,976

More
Just want to report, with latest zip for today's nightly in op, I was unable to copy anything to sd card so I had to revert back stock Documents UI app
1st February 2017, 01:01 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beijing

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehlek

Just want to report, with latest zip for today's nightly in op, I was unable to copy anything to sd card so I had to revert back stock Documents UI app

Is the original DocumentsUI app working correctly?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mod, tutorial

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)