I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device on following these steps. These are untested steps that worked for me and might work for you.
1. PC with adb
2. Unlocked Bootloader
4. MIUI 9 [Might work with other ROMs, not tested]
5. Lazyflasher zip
1. If you are on a custom ROM, chances are that camera2 api is already enabled. Use Manual Camera Compatibility to verify.
3. I am using Google Camera v4.4.020.163412804 on MIUI 9 Global 7.9.7 | Beta, and it is a HUGE improvement over the stock camera.
1. Boot into TWRP. (Guide if you don't have TWRP)
2. Mount System.
3. Take NANDroid backup. (Optional but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
4. Connect to PC and execute the following command in terminal:
adb pull /system/build.prop
6. Copy it to another directory for backup.
7. Open in editor and add the following line at end:
9. Execute following commands:
adb push build.prop /system/ adb shell cd system chmod 644 build.prop
11. Flash using TWRP.
12. Reboot to system.
13. Use Manual Camera Compatibility Checker to verify.
15. Install the latest Google Camera HDR+ Port. (Optional but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ;P)
1. Download the official recovery zip from here.
2. Download latest TWRP from here
2. Reboot into TWRP.
3. Take NANDroid. (Optional, just in case . . .)
4. Transfer ROM zip, TWRP img and Lazyflasher zip to internal storage.
5. Flash ROM zip. (Took about 10 minutes)
6. Flash TWRP img. (Go to flash -> select flash image -> select twrp-[v].img)
7. Flash Lazyflasher zip.
8. Follow steps 4 through 9 of above instructions. (Yes, build.prop also gets replaced on update)
9. Reboot to system.
10. Wait patiently.
11. VOILA !!
1. Manual Camera Compatibility Checker
2. Lazyflasher Zip
3. Google Camera HDR+ Port
4. Latest MIUI Recovery Image
5. Official TWRP for mido
6. Sources: (1) (2) (3)
Hope this helps. Try and comment if this works for you in other ROMs. Also let me know if anything is unclear.