[GUIDE] How to Change Boot Logo (Splash Screen) for Redmi Note 4

Search This thread

GokulNC

Jan 10, 2015
Chennai
github.com
Note:
This is not bootanimation, this is the splash screen (the 'Mi' boot logo which is displayed when device is switched ON)
This is for Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (mido/whatever) Only (Snapdragon Variants)..
(For variants other than mido, please post your splash.img here so that I can check if it can work in your device)
For other devices, please send me your splash.img so that I can create a tool for you too.

Requirements:
1. Rooted Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon) (any ROM)
2. Optional: Terminal Emulator app or Custom Recovery or atleast working fastboot in computer
3. You're proceeding at your own risk.

STEPS to create splash.img:

(For devices with latest firmware, use this tool: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75231024&postcount=48)

1. Download & Extract this: Redmi_Note_4_Splash_Maker.zip

2. Make sure you have a picture with resolution 1080x1920 or lower.
Note:
Redmi Note 4 logo has a fixed size of 100kB allocated for splash image frame buffer, so only very light-weight pictures can be used.
(If you alter this limit in the script, fastboot picture will not appear in fastboot mode..)
It's recommended to use picture with 3 or 2 colors only, like Black & White pictures.
So you'll have to try many pictures till you get a successful one.

3. Now rename your picture as logo.png or logo.jpg according to its format & replace it inside "pics" folder of the extracted folder.

4. Finally, run the 'CREATE_LOGO.bat' to create splash.img , which you can find inside the "output" folder after completion.

Note:
You'll get an error like "PICTURE IS LARGE IN SIZE" if it's not possible to create a logo with that picture.
In that case, try any one of these below:

a. Try compressPNG.com to reduce no. of colors in PNG picture.
Upload your picture, click Settings, reduce number of colors to 2, Apply & download it & try again.
b. Reduce the picture resolution.
For example, this picture: logo.png can edited to something like this: example-logo-truncated.png
(Hope you understand what I say)
c. Try some other picture.

STEPS to flash splash.img:

Optional: To backup your original splash.img:

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/splash of=/sdcard/splash.img
(Not necessary though.. You may get it from the stock firmware itself.)

Now, Choose any one easy method to install:

a. To flash from recovery:
Transfer the flashable_splash.zip to your device and flash from TWRP or CWM or Philz or any other custom recovery.

b. To flash from Terminal Emulator:
Transfer the splash.img to your device's Internal Storage, Open Terminal Emulator & enter the following to flash it:
Code:
su
dd if=/sdcard/splash.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/splash

c. To flash from Fastboot mode:
Code:
fastboot flash splash splash.img

Note:
Incase something goes wrong or device doesn't bootup, flash the stock splash.img from custom recovery or fastboot.

Credits:
1. Based on my original tool for Redmi Note 3
2. @Ravi Kumawat who provided the stock splash.img of Redmi Note 4 (mido - Snapdragon) & tested this tool.

Hit the Thanks :good: button if it worked for you :)

You're welcome to post the splash images that you created..

FOR MEDIATEK VARIANTS:
For MTK devices, you might have a different partition for that called 'logo'.
Browse in /dev directory to find out where that is present.
After you have found out, dump the logo.bin file by:
Code:
dd if=/<the_directory_where_logo_is_present>/logo of=/sdcard/logo.bin
Now you can edit the logo.bin using this tool:
Changing Boot Logo (logo.bin) - LOGO BUILDER Program

After editing, you can reflash it by:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/logo.bin of=/<the_directory_where_logo_is_present>/logo

If you did this successfully, please share the details of how you did it so that it will be helpful for others..
Or if that tool doesn't work, send me your logo.bin or splash.img, I'll check it..

Attachments

• Redmi_Note_4_Splash_Maker.zip
    9.7 MB · Views: 16,329
  • mido_stock_splash.zip
    596.9 KB · Views: 8,373
Last edited:

itsmedRb

Oct 14, 2015
Kolkata
Thanks buddy! You made my day today!

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

getting this error
-------------------------------------------

Creating splash.img ........

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bin\logo_gen.py", line 291, in <module>
MakeLogoImage(GetPNGFile(), "output.img")
File "bin\logo_gen.py", line 260, in MakeLogoImage
body = GetImageBody(img, SUPPORT_RLE24_COMPRESSIONT)
File "bin\logo_gen.py", line 250, in GetImageBody
return encodeRLE24(background)
File "bin\logo_gen.py", line 217, in encodeRLE24
assert bytesProcessedInBody <= payloadLimit, "\n\n\nPICTURE IS LARGE IN SIZE..\nQuitting..."
AssertionError:

PICTURE IS LARGE IN SIZE..
Quitting...
PICTURE IS LARGE IN SIZE
Quitting

Press any key to continue . . .

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

get img file as output. how to flash in twrp recovery

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Problem Solved

to reduce the picture size you may use half pixel eg (1080*1920)/2,3 etc

Reactions: GokulNC

yashgumaste

Dec 20, 2014
Note:
This is not bootanimation, this is the splash screen (the 'Mi' boot logo which is displayed when device is switched ON)
(For variants other than mido, please post your splash.img here so that I can check if it can work in your device)
For other devices, please send me your splash.img so that I can create a tool for you too.

Requirements:
2. Optional:Terminal Emulator app or Custom Recovery or atleast working fastboot in computer

Note:
Redmi Note 4 logo has a fixed size of 100kB allocated for splash image frame buffer, so only very light-weight pictures can be used.
(If you alter this limit in the script, fastboot picture will not appear in fastboot mode..)
It's recommended to use picture with 3 or 2 colors only, like Black & White pictures.

3. Now rename your picture as logo.png or logo.jpg according to its format & replace it inside "pics" folder of the extracted folder.

4. Finally, run the 'CREATE_LOGO.bat' to create splash.img , which you can find inside the "output" folder after completion.

Note:
You'll get an error like "PICTURE IS LARGE IN SIZE" if it's not possible to create a logo with that picture.

Upload your picture, click Settings, reduce number of colors to 2, Apply & download it & try again.
For example, this picture: can edited to something like this:

Transfer the flashable_splash.zip to your device and flash from TWRP or CWM or Philz or any other custom recovery.

Transfer the splash.img to your device's Internal Storage, Open Terminal Emulator & enter the following to flash it:

Note:
Incase something goes wrong or device doesn't bootup, flash the stock splash.img from custom recovery or fastboot.

Credits:
2. @Ravi Kumawat who provided the stock splash.img of Redmi Note 4 (mido - Snapdragon) & tested this tool.

Hit the Thanks:good: button if it worked for you :)

FOR MEDIATEK VARIANTS:

If you did this successfully, please share the details of how you did it so that it will be helpful for others..
Or if that tool doesn't work, send me your logo.bin or splash.img, I'll check it..

I used 46KB pic of size 354x354 all blackandwhite, still large pic size error

menskiz0r

Jun 22, 2016

It's funny because the only images that worked are the ones you posted here as .zip files. I tried numerous 1080x1920 jpgs, tried compressing and resizing them to 720x1280 etc. etc, even tried compressing a .png file all were black and white and sized lower than 100kb and nothing worked, it phone always used a stock Google logo.

erwanPutra

Sep 4, 2016
thamk man, but i have a problem here, ive tried many file but cannot change, still linux logo, any way to fix i? thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note:

Requirements:
    2. Optional: Terminal Emulator app or Custom Recovery or atleast working fastboot in computer

(For devices with latest firmware, use this tool: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75231024&postcount=48)

Note:

Note:

For example, this picture:logo.png can edited to something like this: example-logo-truncated.png

Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/splash of=/sdcard/splash.img

Code:
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/splash.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/splash

Code:
    fastboot flash splash splash.img

Note:

Credits:

Hit the Thanks :good: button if it worked for you :)

FOR MEDIATEK VARIANTS:
    Code:
    dd if=/<the_directory_where_logo_is_present>/logo of=/sdcard/logo.bin

Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/logo.bin of=/<the_directory_where_logo_is_present>/logo

The format of splash.img has changed. There are 2 pics in old version: boot and fastboot. In the new version, there are 4: boot, fastboot, unlocked and "System destroy".
    I edit the script to adapt to new version, and it works. You can download it here:
    mega.nz/#!HUMBhZCK!HfujPgKsfUqI_O0V_hy1D-hyaiGvpvdgIvc9Xtgg1sc
    How about google splash screen? The black and the white ones
    The "google" logo in the previous post here is a bit large, making it smaller will be neat, thanks!

thanks it worked in mido! can you make a darker one pls?

Here you go. I was able to increase size of omni logo a bit by using a better source file, hope you like it. Let me know if you need the smaller one in black as well.
    Hey guys, It's me again. Sorry for the spam, but I made 2 more! This time it's Qualcomm and the android logo (which is my keeper). Happy flashing!