FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Review] Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A | Good, pretty, and cheap!

336 posts
Thanks Meter: 931

By MrRaines, Senior Member on 11th October 2017, 03:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

Hello all!!

Today I want to share with you a little review about the new Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A, one of the cheaper devices from Xiaomi, with a great hardware and software!
Let's GO!

What are in the box?:
• Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A
• Cable
• Charger
• Instructions
• Stick of the SIM

Design:
Here is the classic configuration of design by Xiaomi:
• Touchpad -NO backlit in this case-
• An IPS LCD panel (in this case 5'5 ")
• Button on the right side of volume up and down, as well as the power button
• The SIM card tray that can be inserted 2 at the same time, as well as a MicroSD card
• At the front we also see the proximity sensor, a front camera with a led flash to make our selfies come out perfect
• In the back, we find the engraving of the mark, as well as the "designed by Xiaomi", along with two golden stripes that give it a certain Premium appearance, a single rear camera, along with its corresponding flash
• As a curiosity, the plastic that forms the back cover is treated to look like metal, when in fact it is not.

Hardware, Battery and Specs/features:
As for the hardware we find quite attractive specifications for the price of this device, and is that as I said before, in Spain it is difficult to find this configuration at such an affordable price:
• Qualcomm SnapDragon 435 with the Adreno 308 GPU.
• 32 GB memory / 64 GB memory
• 3GB of RAM
• 13mpx rear camera with 2/2 focal aperture, and front of EYE: 16 mpx with 2/0 focal aperture. (The rear camera takes sharper pictures and better than the front, although the front has more mpx, but as you know, mpx are not everything).
• 3080 mAh battery (with a optimized processor, perfectly withstand the two or three days of battery life with a total of six or seven hours of display, with intensive use has taken me about 9 hours in a single day, watching videos of YouTube, Netflix, etc.).
• FM Radio
• Does not have NFC
• GPS, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Pedometer ... (basic sensors in full 2017)
• Benchmark: between 43,500 points and 46,000 depending on the version of the Operating System (especially with MIUI 9, which greatly improves performance).

Software:
In the section of the Software we have Android 7.1.2 Nougat under the own customization layer of Xiaomi, MIUI, in stable version 8.5.8.0, upgradeable to MIUI 9. As you know, MIUI has its own management of battery and RAM, which accompanied by the Nougat version (probably upgradeable to 8.0 Oreo) plus MIUI plus MIUI 9 when it updates, the battery probably goes on to last a couple of more hours, as it happened with my beloved Mi 6.
I leave you captures of the APPS that come preinstalled in the Chinese version (you can request when buying it in the different stores that send you with the Spanish language in the comments of the purchase, mine came from Gearbest and gave me the option, but I preferred that I was sent Stock to do the review).

Real photos from RN5A cameras [Codename: UGG]):
Back camera

Front camera

Advantages and disadvantages:
Advantages:
• Price: Nothing to say in this regard; good, pretty, and cheap.
• Design: The design simply enchants me. It is quite continuist, perhaps the frames could have been hurried more, but we are really a mid-range device, with lines and design that give it a certain premium touch although it is not (as we are plastic) .
• Camera: I was pleasantly surprised at the section of the photographs, I did not expect a range of input to take the photos you take; Well it is true that they are not the best, but hey, you can not ask for more for the price you have.
• Weight: We are faced with a very ergonomic and comfortable device at hand and pocket, barely 136 grams which, for a device that can be considered phablet, is really surprising.

Disadvantages:
• Rear cover: On the one hand I love the design, but on the other, I also have to say that the plastic, although it seems flexible and resistant, does not finish convincing me in 2017. The Redmi 4x or Pro have aluminum housing, which gives it a premium touch that goes beyond what could be expected in an average range in Xiaomi. In this sense, they do not seem to have been worried about giving this device a more "pro" look.
• NFC: It does not have NFC, own of these devices Redmi (of the majority of them at least).

VideoReview in Spanish with all details mentioned above (and with a link to see it in the store with a minor price)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrRaines For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrRaines Ad-Free

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
redmi note 5a reviewed, redmi-note-5a, review, xiaomi redmi note 5a

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)