Install any Launcher on Remix Ultratablet + Button Mapper

Search This thread

sfbay998

Sep 10, 2010
Preface:
Looking at the old KS page in 2018 make me mad :mad: , 1,278 backers pledged $210,377 to help bring the "original Remix Ultratablet General" to life. It is a nice piece of hardware even in 2018 terms , but the manufacturer/developers (Jide) left all backers as OS "Orphan". As no hope for Jide to pickup the update , and I 'm not computer savvy by any means. I'm here to call out all kickstarter backers to help ourselves.

I 'm not computer savvy , so I don't root , I don't know how to do those "usb debugging mode and edit code on PC" thing.
Instead i try everything that is safe and anyone can follow method.

Without further delay...

Use third party Launcher
For the longest time, all user just want to use different launcher, (Jide Launcher Suck !!) and they block you from using any thirty party launcher. Everywhere I search will tell you to root the device, but I need a non-root (safe) method.

Here is what you do:
"Every launcher you download from" play store will come up with "no support for 3rd party launchers" error message.
Because the Launcher you download tell the Jide OS it is a "Launcher" so it would not load .

All you have to do is edit the "Launcher" you have downloaded so it would tell the Jide OS it is a "Launcher" , just an "APP"

Just delete all lines (usually 2) contain <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME" /> from AndroidManifest.xml after you decompile the apk, save it , then recompile the apk, now you can install the apk and run the Launcher like an APP.

Q: Isn't you said it will be easy ? what are those decompile , edit , and recompile apk ?
A: I told you I'm not tech savvy, so if I can do it , you can do it too. I've don't all this using the "Jide Remix Ultratablet" only.

Tools: (if you have others app that can do the same thing and it is free, please leave comments )
Turn on "Unknown sources" to allow apk ionstall from Android Settings>Security
App call "APK Editor Pro" (the free version allow you to decompile apk , but not saving it !!)

Steps for using "APK Editor Pro"
1) Download and install the launcher from play store using "Jide Remix Ultratablet" (example Apex Launcher)
-)When you try to open the Launcher of course it will say "no support for 3rd party launchers"
2)Open "APK Editor Pro", " Choose "Select Apk from App", Choose the Launcher (Apex Launcher in this case !)
3)Choose "Full Edit (Resource RE-BUILD) "
4)Choose manifest "Icon"
5)(now you are inside manifest editing mode) Search the word "HOME" at the search bar (bottom, must use capital letters)
-)Your Result will likely be 2 lines of <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME" />
6)Delete all lines contain <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME" />, Choose "Save"
7)Now back to manifest editing mode, Choose "Build" on Top right corner , it will recompile to a new apk and sign it too(so easy, all automatic)
8)Choose "Close" when done, Exit "APK Editor Pro"
9) Now uninstall your non-working Launcher first (Apex Launcher in this case !)
10) Reinstall the new edited apk call (gen_signed.apk) Locate at your Android>"ApkEditor" folder (use and file manager OK)

*There are so many launcher and it is up to you guys to test it all out and post your result comments below and I will add here from time to time:
Working Launcher:
Apex Launcher
Evie Launcher
Microsoft Launcher, Recently tested (formerly known as Arrow Launcher), Very clean and neat ,deeply integrated microsoft email,calendar stuff, but I'm not a business person :silly: (3/7/20018)

*Still haven't figured out how to switch multiple launcher freely, I install multiple "APK Editor Pro's Edited" launcher , only the first one installed work, If I want to switch , I have to uninstall the first one , and install the other "APK Editor Pro's Edited" launcher. Hope some one have a easier solutions and post it here. (3/7/2018)

But wait there's more...
Now the Launcher is an act as APP , we need to use some Home button remap tools to make it more of a launcher
Tools: (if you have others app that can do the same thing and it is free, please leave comments )
Button Mapper: Remap your keys

Step to use "Button Mapper: Remap your keys"
1) Download and open "Button Mapper: Remap your keys"
2) Click "GO" next to "button manager needs to be activated in setting>Accessibility" at the bottom
3)If you do it correctly and come back to "Button Mapper: Remap your keys" app, all the options will light up.
4) Click "Home button",> click "customize" ,> click "single tap"
5) Click little down arrow next to "Action" , choose Application, Choose your Launcher (Apex Launcher in this case !)

Will come back in a month...

Last edited:

Bwangster12

Jan 3, 2011
New York
But this doesn't get rid of the bar at the bottom right? The one with the app launcher bar? I've gotten Nova working on the tablet, but that bar annoys me.

sfbay998

Sep 10, 2010
But this doesn't get rid of the bar at the bottom right? The one with the app launcher bar? I've gotten Nova working on the tablet, but that bar annoys me.

I'm using Nova Launcher Prime also, "NO bar at the bottom"
The Task Bar at the bottom come from Jide remix os" , but you can easily hide it by "Press and hold" the Task bar>Choose "Turn autohide on".

If you want to use task bar again, you can swipe up from the bottom of the screen , or you can make it stay on screen by "Press and hold" the Task bar>Choose "Turn autohide off".

Last edited:

Bwangster12

Jan 3, 2011
New York
I'm using Nova Launcher Prime also, "NO bar at the bottom"
The Task Bar at the bottom come from Jide remix os" , but you can easily hide it by "Press and hold" the Task bar>Choose "Turn autohide on".

If you want to use task bar again, you can swipe up from the bottom of the screen , or you can make it stay on screen by "Press and hold" the Task bar>Choose "Turn autohide off".

Yeah, I tried that. Its been awhile, but I remember there being issues with the fact that you don't see the notification icons then, as that bar is essentially your status bar, right? You don't get a new status bar if you use Nova or something.

Mohamed Ali Basal

Oct 5, 2018
Error message after hitting build

I've used your method but this error message appears to me when I hit the "build" button

WARNING: linker: /data/data/com.gmail.heagoo.apkeditor.pro/files/bin/aapt: unused DT entry: type 0x6ffffffe arg 0x1dcc
WARNING: linker: /data/data/com.gmail.heagoo.apkeditor.pro/files/bin/aapt: unused DT entry: type 0x6fffffff arg 0x2
/data/data/com.gmail.heagoo.apkeditor.pro/files/decoded/res/layout-v22/item_tab_custom_view.xml:3: error: No resource identifier found for attribute 'lineHeight' in package 'android'

/data/data/com.gmail.heagoo.apkeditor.pro/files/decoded/res/layout-v22/view_naviagiton_sub_page_tips_card.xml:11: error: No resource identifier found for attribute 'lineHeight' in package 'android'

/data/data/com.gmail.heagoo.apkeditor.pro/files/decoded/res/layout-v22/view_navigation_gesture_area_tips.xml:4: error: No resource identifier found for attribute 'lineHeight' in package 'android'

/data/data/com.gmail.heagoo.apkeditor.pro/files/decoded/res/layout-v22/view_navigation_gesture_area_tips.xml:11: error: No resource identifier found for attribute 'lineHeight' in package 'android'

I use tecno droidpad 10 pro