Totally dead. They already give official statement in their Facebook Page
18th July 2017, 07:47 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine,
et lux perpetua luceat eis.
24th July 2017, 11:22 AM |#6  
JIDE is NOT dead - just targeting enterprises (not ordinary users)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard2013

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine,
et lux perpetua luceat eis.

JIDE is moving FROM ordinary users to enterprises; and I don't exactly blame them.

Let's be honest with ourselves - the two biggest problems RemixOS products face (all of them) is that they aim (literally) too high in the Android-on-PC subspace (two ways they aim too high - they are based on MM - not KK or L, which is where all the action is, and the reality is that - for precisely that reason - RemixOS is STILL too "hefty" for the Android-emulator space (which is still where the action remains, as opposed to the replacement-for-Windows space). If you have 16 GB of RAM, you CAN run RemixOS alongside Windows - however, why would you, unless there is a specific app/game that you want to run that requires MM or N - and even then, it's STILL easier to run that game or app on a device. The only folks that are going to be looking at that niche use (and the reality is that it IS a niche use) are enterprises and corporate users - not the everyday user. And, if anything, the availability of cheaper N devices (such as the launch of Lnovo's Tab 3 Essential line - which is now based on a commodity-designed Qualcomm SoC - as opposed to the original Mediatek SoC that Lenovo started with) has created a reliable easier-to-target SoC without the problems of Mediatek (at least for now, Qualcomm is NOT repeating the errors that got them in hot water in the networking space - the same errors that got Mediatek in hot water in the SoC space); basically, Qualcomm learned from the mistake they made in networking - the same mistake that the competition did NOT learn (and instead repeated). Result - the complaint that folks are making about Qualcomm is that they are a quasi-monopoly; however, how is it Qualcomm's fault that it learned from the mistakes that IT made elsewhere - and their competition largely didn't? Unless Qualcomm makes a similar egregious error to the one that Mediatek made (or that Qualcomm itself made in networking) I don't see them going anywhere - especially with other ARM licensees and competitors shooting themselves in one or both feet.

If you are in the emulation space (running alongside Windows), there is next to zero reason you would want an MM-based emulator - and especially if you have less than 16GB of system RAM. (I found myself replacing RemixOS Player with MEMu Player (which is still based on KitKat) after I added a second N-based Android device (ex-VZW Galaxy S7 running in SIMless/tablet mode) to my daily-driver Samsung GNex. Let's be honest - even as a TABLET, the two-year-old Snapdragon-driven S7 is far from a slouch; it's plenty speedy - and without the heavy lifting that phones typically have to do, if anything, it's even faster. Then there is the reality that there aren't many tablets (or phablets, for that matter) that can run N reliably without causing wallet rape (all of seven prior to the return of the Note7 - now the Note7 FE) - and three of those are not only Nexus devices, but are no longer manufactured - Nexus 6 (Motorola), Nexus 7 (ASUS) and Nexus 9 (HTC). The other four? Shield K1 (nVidia), Shield Original tablet (also nVidia), Galaxy Tab S2 (Samsung) and Pixel C. The vote in terms of emulators of the Android sort remains low-end/cheap - not the higher end stuff that JIDE built.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PGHammer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PGHammer Ad-Free
24th July 2017, 07:34 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHammer

JIDE is moving FROM ordinary users to enterprises; and I don't exactly blame them.

Let's be honest with ourselves - the two biggest problems RemixOS products face (all of them) is that they aim (literally) too high in the Android-on-PC subspace (two ways they aim too high - they are based on MM - not KK or L, which is where all the action is, and the reality is that - for precisely that reason - RemixOS is STILL too "hefty" for the Android-emulator space (which is still where the action remains, as opposed to the replacement-for-Windows space). If you have 16 GB of RAM, you CAN run RemixOS alongside Windows - however, why would you, unless there is a specific app/game that you want to run that requires MM or N - and even then, it's STILL easier to run that game or app on a device. The only folks that are going to be looking at that niche use (and the reality is that it IS a niche use) are enterprises and corporate users - not the everyday user. And, if anything, the availability of cheaper N devices (such as the launch of Lnovo's Tab 3 Essential line - which is now based on a commodity-designed Qualcomm SoC - as opposed to the original Mediatek SoC that Lenovo started with) has created a reliable easier-to-target SoC without the problems of Mediatek (at least for now, Qualcomm is NOT repeating the errors that got them in hot water in the networking space - the same errors that got Mediatek in hot water in the SoC space); basically, Qualcomm learned from the mistake they made in networking - the same mistake that the competition did NOT learn (and instead repeated). Result - the complaint that folks are making about Qualcomm is that they are a quasi-monopoly; however, how is it Qualcomm's fault that it learned from the mistakes that IT made elsewhere - and their competition largely didn't? Unless Qualcomm makes a similar egregious error to the one that Mediatek made (or that Qualcomm itself made in networking) I don't see them going anywhere - especially with other ARM licensees and competitors shooting themselves in one or both feet.

If you are in the emulation space (running alongside Windows), there is next to zero reason you would want an MM-based emulator - and especially if you have less than 16GB of system RAM. (I found myself replacing RemixOS Player with MEMu Player (which is still based on KitKat) after I added a second N-based Android device (ex-VZW Galaxy S7 running in SIMless/tablet mode) to my daily-driver Samsung GNex. Let's be honest - even as a TABLET, the two-year-old Snapdragon-driven S7 is far from a slouch; it's plenty speedy - and without the heavy lifting that phones typically have to do, if anything, it's even faster. Then there is the reality that there aren't many tablets (or phablets, for that matter) that can run N reliably without causing wallet rape (all of seven prior to the return of the Note7 - now the Note7 FE) - and three of those are not only Nexus devices, but are no longer manufactured - Nexus 6 (Motorola), Nexus 7 (ASUS) and Nexus 9 (HTC). The other four? Shield K1 (nVidia), Shield Original tablet (also nVidia), Galaxy Tab S2 (Samsung) and Pixel C. The vote in terms of emulators of the Android sort remains low-end/cheap - not the higher end stuff that JIDE built.

in vino veritas, acta non verba..
27th July 2017, 06:16 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard2013

in vino veritas, acta non verba..

Just a thought here: If Jide had any thoughts about not being committed to this project, why did they even bother collaborating with the Android-x86 project in the first place? And why did they wait so long, between the latest releases of Remix OS (mid-November) and the official announcement?

With Remix OS for PC/Windows out of the picture (and with it, gone is perhaps one of the best--if not THE best--graphic environments for an Android-based OS), which of the remaining Android-based operating systems would you recommend? Right now, I'm giving consideration to either Phoenix or BlueStacks. If I had to choose, I'd be tempted to go with BlueStacks, because it has its own front end (or whatever it is called, which Remix OS had in Remix OS Player) which runs inside Win7/10; while for Phoenix (which has the better-looking graphic environment), I'd probably have to use VirtualBox or VMware, since as of now I don't know if they (or anyone else) developed a front end for this OS to run in a window inside Win7/10.
9th August 2017, 01:16 AM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookyMonzta

Just a thought here: If Jide had any thoughts about not being committed to this project, why did they even bother collaborating with the Android-x86 project in the first place? And why did they wait so long, between the latest releases of Remix OS (mid-November) and the official announcement?

With Remix OS for PC/Windows out of the picture (and with it, gone is perhaps one of the best--if not THE best--graphic environments for an Android-based OS), which of the remaining Android-based operating systems would you recommend? Right now, I'm giving consideration to either Phoenix or BlueStacks. If I had to choose, I'd be tempted to go with BlueStacks, because it has its own front end (or whatever it is called, which Remix OS had in Remix OS Player) which runs inside Win7/10; while for Phoenix (which has the better-looking graphic environment), I'd probably have to use VirtualBox or VMware, since as of now I don't know if they (or anyone else) developed a front end for this OS to run in a window inside Win7/10.

It's not that anything necessarily is WRONG with RemixOS - nobody has said that (not me - or anyone else, for that matter) - it's simply overkill for what most users want. It's like the market for high-end GPUs (without the price factor); it's still a niche market. As good a graphical environment as RemixOS - and Marshmallow itself, for that matter - is, why have things moved north (on actual Android devices) and stayed south (on Windows-based Android emulators)?

As the default OS (as is the case with devices), unless you are talking the low and cheap end, N is the new JellyBean - not MM. (Note that instead of doing OTAs for the existing J3 - which is running MM - Samsung chose a hardware refresh instead; this is despite the J3 pre-refresh being barely two years old - and not even that in North America,) As an emulator core (alongside or within Windows), the tendency is STILL to prefer lightweight emulators - which still means KitKat or JellyBean - primarily so Windows (the core OS) can keep most of the resources itself. RemixOS Player didn't require vmWare OR Oracle VirtualBox - just like most of the KK or JB-based emulators; hence none of them are shackled to HAXM. I RAN RemixOS Player because I could take higher-end Android games to it - which wasn't - and still isn't - the case for most emulators - with OR without HAXM. However, gaining that S7 did away with my own need for a high-end emulator. (Remember, the S7 - while not shipping with N - instead, it shipped with MM - now can be blanked and factory-type N-ified using nothing more complicated than either Odin or Heimdall.)

What is further trouble for JIDE is that N is expanding at the low-end. I mentioned earlier Samsung's J3 refresh (which is now N-based - not the MM of the previous version); the same is true of Lenovo's Tab 3 Essential - a refresh of the earlier Tab 2 series of tablets and phablets. Unlike the Tab 2 (which started at KK and went only to L - with only the phablets going beyond L with community ROMs, and typically in languages OTHER than English), the Tab 3 Essential has changed SoCs from MediaTek (MTK) to Qualcomm - they also ship with N out of the box. Amazingly, the price tags went nowhere compared to the MTK predecessors - even the largest of the new line is BARELY $100 from Amazon - including shipping for non-Prime customers. With N for cheap, whither RemixOS? (Basically, RemixOS is being made moot by N on devices - not nice, but there it is.)
The Following User Says Thank You to PGHammer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PGHammer Ad-Free
16th August 2017, 06:12 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
What are you guys transitioning to? Any suggestion for someone who was looking into purchasing another Jide solution?
17th August 2017, 08:51 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingdomMan3

What are you guys transitioning to? Any suggestion for someone who was looking into purchasing another Jide solution?

You mean SW or HE'S?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)