6) Brightness Control
7) Power Management
8) HDMI Video
9) HDMI Audio Out (Fixed on Build 20161115)
10) Camera (Partially Fixed on Build 20161115)
11) Miracast (Build 20161115)
12) Google Play Services
What doesn't work/Issues:
1) Back Camera image is rotated 90 degrees. Front Camera not working.
1) Stock Remix OS 2.0
2) No bloatware
3) Rooted with SuperSU Free v2.78
4) Removed force encryption
1) Remix OS default DPI is 160. I wanted to raise the DPI to around 200 but while system UI is ok with that DPI, the launcher desktop crashes and displays black background without the icons. Please tell me if anyone knows how to resolve. DPI 160 is not too comfortable on an 8" device especially for people with fat fingers.
EDIT: Found a way to allow custom DPI on launcher desktop. On Settings>Experimental features>Enable launcher file mode. I actually prefer this mode as the desktop is more "Windows-like" wherein you can drag any icon from the launcher to the desktop. And larger DPI values are ok. I'm now using DPI=200 and my fat fingers are now happy.
Example of DPI =200 with Enabled launcher file mode:
1) Nextbook Ares 8 NXA8QC116 (Original Firmware Android 5.1.1) NOTE: I'm not sure if this will work on other versions of Nextbook Ares 8. But if you did try it (at your own risk) and was successful, please leave a comment so I can update this.
2) Bootloader unlocked.
2) TWRP 3.0.2 Installed. (Please see here for TWRP)
3) Backup of previous working rom is highly recommended (in case something goes wrong).
4) Knowledge and/or familiarity with Remix OS. I may not be able to answer all your concerns or queries regarding how Remix OS works, as well as its issues or limitations.
This is a project I did for myself and is working perfectly on my device. As much as I am successful in flashing this rom, I don't guarantee that it will work with yours. It is your sole responsibility if you use the files I posted here. Make sure you have a backup of your working rom in case something goes wrong. I will not be held responsible if you mess up your device by not following the instructions correctly on unlocking bootloader and installing TWRP, etc.
1) Download the zip file of the latest build from post#2.
2) Copy the zip file to your SD card.
3) Boot your device to TWRP.
WARNING: This will wipe your device. Make sure to have a backup of your working rom plus data so you can restore in case something goes wrong.
4) In TWRP, Wipe>Advanced Wipe. Wipe dalvik-cache, cache, data, system
5) In TWRP, Install the zip file you copied to your SD card.
6) Reboot device after successful installation.
Please post feedback and issues. Thanks.
@Chainfire for SuperSU
@vampirefo for TWRP for Ares 8