FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Port] Remix OS 2.0 for Nextbook Ares 8 NXA8QC116 [Rooted] - UPDATED Build 20161115

1,505 posts
Thanks Meter: 69

By greatbal, Senior Member on 11th November 2016, 01:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This Nextbook Ares 8 NXA8QC116 rom is a port of the stock Remix OS 2.0 firmware for Nextbook with Baytrail from Jide.

What works:

1) Wifi
2) Bluetooth
3) Touchscreen
4) Sound
5) Accelerometer/Auto-rotate
6) Brightness Control
7) Power Management
8) HDMI Video
9) HDMI Audio Out (Fixed on Build 20161115)
10) Camera (Partially Fixed on Build 20161115)
11) Miracast (Build 20161115)
12) Google Play Services

What doesn't work/Issues:

1) Back Camera image is rotated 90 degrees. Front Camera not working.

Features:

1) Stock Remix OS 2.0
2) No bloatware
3) Rooted with SuperSU Free v2.78
4) Removed force encryption

My Wishlist:

1) Remix OS default DPI is 160. I wanted to raise the DPI to around 200 but while system UI is ok with that DPI, the launcher desktop crashes and displays black background without the icons. Please tell me if anyone knows how to resolve. DPI 160 is not too comfortable on an 8" device especially for people with fat fingers.

EDIT: Found a way to allow custom DPI on launcher desktop. On Settings>Experimental features>Enable launcher file mode. I actually prefer this mode as the desktop is more "Windows-like" wherein you can drag any icon from the launcher to the desktop. And larger DPI values are ok. I'm now using DPI=200 and my fat fingers are now happy.

Example of DPI =200 with Enabled launcher file mode:
Pic

Screenshots:

Pic

Installation Requirements:

1) Nextbook Ares 8 NXA8QC116 (Original Firmware Android 5.1.1) NOTE: I'm not sure if this will work on other versions of Nextbook Ares 8. But if you did try it (at your own risk) and was successful, please leave a comment so I can update this.
2) Bootloader unlocked.
2) TWRP 3.0.2 Installed. (Please see here for TWRP)
3) Backup of previous working rom is highly recommended (in case something goes wrong).
4) Knowledge and/or familiarity with Remix OS. I may not be able to answer all your concerns or queries regarding how Remix OS works, as well as its issues or limitations.

Quote:

DISCLAIMER:
This is a project I did for myself and is working perfectly on my device. As much as I am successful in flashing this rom, I don't guarantee that it will work with yours. It is your sole responsibility if you use the files I posted here. Make sure you have a backup of your working rom in case something goes wrong. I will not be held responsible if you mess up your device by not following the instructions correctly on unlocking bootloader and installing TWRP, etc.

Installation Steps:

1) Download the zip file of the latest build from post#2.
2) Copy the zip file to your SD card.
3) Boot your device to TWRP.
WARNING: This will wipe your device. Make sure to have a backup of your working rom plus data so you can restore in case something goes wrong.
4) In TWRP, Wipe>Advanced Wipe. Wipe dalvik-cache, cache, data, system
5) In TWRP, Install the zip file you copied to your SD card.
6) Reboot device after successful installation.

Please post feedback and issues. Thanks.

Credits:

@Chainfire for SuperSU
@vampirefo for TWRP for Ares 8
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to greatbal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greatbal Ad-Free

11th November 2016, 02:57 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
=======

LATEST DOWNLOAD LINK:

Quote:

IMPORTANT NOTE: When coming from previous build, please make sure you back up all your important files/data as this will wipe your Data partition. Sorry, cannot be upgraded. Fresh Install only. You will have to reinstall your apps/games.

BUILD 20161115 (Latest; Recommended) ====>
Ares8_NXA8QC116_RemixOS_v2.0-20161115.zip or (Google Drive Mirror)

* Fixed HDMI Audio Out
* Partial Fix Back Camera 9Front Camera still not working)
* Added Battery Percentage when charging while device is turned off
* Many changes under-the-hood

Quote:

IMPORTANT NOTE: When coming from previous build, please make sure you back up all your important files/data as this will wipe your Data partition. Sorry, cannot be upgraded. Fresh Install only. You will have to reinstall your apps/games.

=======

Previous Builds (Not Recommended. Please use the latest build above):

BUILD 20161111 (Not recommended. Please use the latest build.) ====>Ares8_NXA8QC116_RemixOS_v2.0-20161111.zip

Frequently Asked Questions:

Tips/Tricks:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greatbal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greatbal Ad-Free
11th November 2016, 09:22 PM |#3  
Flag JOLO
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Waiting for this.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk
11th November 2016, 11:32 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuzuriro

Waiting for this.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

Download Link is now up.
The Following User Says Thank You to greatbal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greatbal Ad-Free
15th November 2016, 06:10 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Build 20161115 is out.

It is highly recommended to flash this latest build. I incorporated many changes under-the-hood. Fresh install Only. Cannot upgrade from previous build using old Data. Sorry. Fresh install only.

* Fixed HDMI Audio Out
* Fixed Camera
* Added Battery Percentage when charging while device is turned off
* Many changes under-the-hood

23rd November 2016, 05:39 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Keep getting error on download link
23rd November 2016, 09:25 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlesteratkins

Keep getting error on download link

what error? I just checked again on my pc's browser, the links are ok. i also used Startdust browser on my tablet, the links are ok. try another browser please. Are you using your tablet to download? Don't use Chrome. I think Mobile Chrome has issues with mega. You could try on Chrome Browser Menu>Request Desktop Version. Or try another browser.

If I have time, i'll mirror it to my google drive...
27th November 2016, 03:22 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbal

what error? I just checked again on my pc's browser, the links are ok. i also used Startdust browser on my tablet, the links are ok. try another browser please. Are you using your tablet to download? Don't use Chrome. I think Mobile Chrome has issues with mega. You could try on Chrome Browser Menu>Request Desktop Version. Or try another browser.

If I have time, i'll mirror it to my google drive...

Yeah it was Chrome I used Mega no problem, thanks

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using XDA-Developers mobile app
27th November 2016, 08:38 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Yeah it was Chrome I used Mega no problem, thanks

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Ok. good. please give feedback soon.
27th November 2016, 11:02 AM |#10  

More
Well so far it's worked great
. Seems to run a lil smoother than the previous version. I'll have to keep messing around with it though.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using XDA Labs
27th November 2016, 11:24 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Well so far it's worked great
. Seems to run a lil smoother than the previous version. I'll have to keep messing around with it though.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using XDA Labs

Been using it for 2 weeks, apart from limited multi-tasking because of only 1GB ram, the rom works pretty well as long as you don't run many apps at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to greatbal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greatbal Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)