Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S

Search This thread

joncochran84

Jan 17, 2018
I already have a decent windows machine and so wanted to try something a bit different. I have Cloudready running on a very old laptop and it's great. I wanted to run it something sexy like the TabPro. It beats me why there are no decent 2-in-1 Chromebooks out there in the market.

So you're saying that Samsung have gone out of their way to make it impossible to load any other OS onto the TabPro other than Windows 10?

Nope Id like that but I have last windows 10 insider. I am sure android would be incredible. I was running memu but last bios update from samsung eliminate possibility of virtualization enabling in bios so no more linux or android running with windows. Now I did not tried to install directly linux as I know there is a wifi issue. Anyway windows 10 run fine. Battery is good, charging is fast and device is pretty fast. I like it a lot.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

FlipClem

May 8, 2019
PrimeOs

Hi Commanderspike

Thank You so much for the tutorial! I used it about a year ago and with a bit of tweaking I managed to get it working. Since the system kept crashing and I couldn't play video I gave up on it. I'm trying again now with PrimeOs and it works great with a usb wifi dongle. The down side to this is that I can't charge at the same time. So I tried your tutorial again but unfortunately it didn't work. Can you give me some tips, or would you be willing to take another look at it?

Hey guys I have been making some progress with a rooted custom build of Remix OS.

The WiFi adapter chipset in the Tab Pro S is the Qualcomm QCA6174. The Linux drivers which come packaged with the Remix OS kernel as it stands do not work.

There are the same QCA6174 issues with Linux based OS - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=204871

Following from that research I downloaded a few different versions of the QCA6174 driver from Github and it appears the filenames need to be a certain way for it to be picked up by Remix OS / Android x86 (see guide below).

The result is I can now get the WiFi hardware to be detected OK by Remix OS and it switches on, starts searching for access points... However we are not quite there yet. It does not actually detect any SSIDs or connect to the internet. So I need to figure out from the error logs why that is.

Bluetooth seems to now work as well - was able to show a list of discoverable devices and pair with my phone, but not pick up a LTE personal hotspot for the internet.

Seems something basic to do with TCP/IP or Ethernet connectivity is broken?

By the way all this needs root access to Remix OS. I used this guide to root - http://xdaforums.com/remix/remix-os/guide-using-jides-remountrw1-method-to-t3431595

Also I had to install a custom version of Remix OS with the bloatware removed and a more powerful File Manager along with Super User app pre-installed. I used this version based on Jide's v3.0.202 -

http://xdaforums.com/remix/remix-os/remix-os-pc-hacked-edition-ota-v2-0-201-t3345968

You also need to edit a file on the EFI partition in Windows before rebooting to get proper root access. To add the REMOUNT_RW=1 flag to the kernel you are going to be editing the grub.cfg file in the /BOOT directory of your EFI partition and this won't be mounted in Explorer. To mount this using the guide I linked to above in Windows 10 it is important to run the command prompt as an administrator (right click, run as...) even if you are logged in as admin. By default it will run in user mode and you won't get permission to access the EFI partition at all.

So in summary -

1. In Windows install the custom version of Remix OS from here:
2. You do NOT need to install it on a separate partition, put it on C:/ drive
3. Do not reboot Windows after the installer finishes, instead run the Command Prompt (right click, run as admin)
4. Type command and enter - taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
5. Type command and enter - mountvol X: /s
6. Type command and enter - explorer.exe
7: Type command and enter X: and then cd to directory boot/grub
8: Edit the grub.cfg file in X:/boot/grub (command prompt - notepad grub.cfg) - please note DOS edit command removed from Windows 10 so it will open in Notepad
9. Add the line REMOUNT_RW=1 in the kernel commands, the line should look like this -

kernel /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet SERIAL=random logo.showlogo=1 SRC=RemixOS/ REMOUNT_RW=1 DATA= CREATE_DATA_IMG=1

10. Reboot
11. At dual boot option screen select Remix OS and it will finalise installation, before booting to Remix OS desktop
12. Run Super User app, ignore message about it needing to search for an update
13. At the desktop run cyanogenmod File Manager (not the Mac OS style Remix OS one as it has no root access) and go to the root /system folder, grant full read/write privileges in Super User app when prompted
14. You will need to copy the QCA6174 driver files from a USB drive. These files you should download from here on a machine with internet access:

https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/tree/master/QCA6174/hw3.0

In Remix OS these belong in the following folder:

/system/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/

In the driver package downloaded from github the file "firmware-4.bin_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1" needs to be renamed firmware-4.bin

Make sure files are named as follows:

firmware-4.bin
board-2.bin
board.bin

15. Reboot and the WiFi hardware will now switch on in Remix OS and begin searching for access points, bluetooth should detect nearby devices.

Other stuff which I found currently works:
Touchscreen (it does not on Surface Pro 4 so big reason to use Tab Pro S!!)
Trackpad
Keyboard
Audio, with reservations (system sounds audible like tapping in calculator app, but MP3 media audio didn't work in bundled player)

To do:

Final fixes to WiFi
Screen brightness control
Battery charge level and standby (it can only tell if connected to A/C, no battery polling levels detected)
Further check audio and app compatibility once WiFi is working

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys I have been making some progress with a rooted custom build of Remix OS.

The WiFi adapter chipset in the Tab Pro S is the Qualcomm QCA6174. The Linux drivers which come packaged with the Remix OS kernel as it stands do not work.

There are the same QCA6174 issues with Linux based OS - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=204871

Following from that research I downloaded a few different versions of the QCA6174 driver from Github and it appears the filenames need to be a certain way for it to be picked up by Remix OS / Android x86 (see guide below).

The result is I can now get the WiFi hardware to be detected OK by Remix OS and it switches on, starts searching for access points... However we are not quite there yet. It does not actually detect any SSIDs or connect to the internet. So I need to figure out from the error logs why that is.

Bluetooth seems to now work as well - was able to show a list of discoverable devices and pair with my phone, but not pick up a LTE personal hotspot for the internet.

Seems something basic to do with TCP/IP or Ethernet connectivity is broken?

By the way all this needs root access to Remix OS. I used this guide to root - http://xdaforums.com/remix/remix-os/guide-using-jides-remountrw1-method-to-t3431595

Also I had to install a custom version of Remix OS with the bloatware removed and a more powerful File Manager along with Super User app pre-installed. I used this version based on Jide's v3.0.202 -

http://xdaforums.com/remix/remix-os/remix-os-pc-hacked-edition-ota-v2-0-201-t3345968

You also need to edit a file on the EFI partition in Windows before rebooting to get proper root access. To add the REMOUNT_RW=1 flag to the kernel you are going to be editing the grub.cfg file in the /BOOT directory of your EFI partition and this won't be mounted in Explorer. To mount this using the guide I linked to above in Windows 10 it is important to run the command prompt as an administrator (right click, run as...) even if you are logged in as admin. By default it will run in user mode and you won't get permission to access the EFI partition at all.

So in summary -

1. In Windows install the custom version of Remix OS from here:
    2. You do NOT need to install it on a separate partition, put it on C:/ drive
    3. Do not reboot Windows after the installer finishes, instead run the Command Prompt (right click, run as admin)
    4. Type command and enter - taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
    5. Type command and enter - mountvol X: /s
    6. Type command and enter - explorer.exe
    7: Type command and enter X: and then cd to directory boot/grub
    8: Edit the grub.cfg file in X:/boot/grub (command prompt - notepad grub.cfg) - please note DOS edit command removed from Windows 10 so it will open in Notepad
    9. Add the line REMOUNT_RW=1 in the kernel commands, the line should look like this -

kernel /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet SERIAL=random logo.showlogo=1 SRC=RemixOS/ REMOUNT_RW=1 DATA= CREATE_DATA_IMG=1

10. Reboot
    11. At dual boot option screen select Remix OS and it will finalise installation, before booting to Remix OS desktop
    12. Run Super User app, ignore message about it needing to search for an update
    13. At the desktop run cyanogenmod File Manager (not the Mac OS style Remix OS one as it has no root access) and go to the root /system folder, grant full read/write privileges in Super User app when prompted
    14. You will need to copy the QCA6174 driver files from a USB drive. These files you should download from here on a machine with internet access:

https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/tree/master/QCA6174/hw3.0

In Remix OS these belong in the following folder:

/system/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/

In the driver package downloaded from github the file "firmware-4.bin_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1" needs to be renamed firmware-4.bin

Make sure files are named as follows:

firmware-4.bin
    board-2.bin
    board.bin

15. Reboot and the WiFi hardware will now switch on in Remix OS and begin searching for access points, bluetooth should detect nearby devices.

Other stuff which I found currently works:
    Touchscreen (it does not on Surface Pro 4 so big reason to use Tab Pro S!!)
    Trackpad
    Keyboard
    Audio, with reservations (system sounds audible like tapping in calculator app, but MP3 media audio didn't work in bundled player)

To do:

Final fixes to WiFi
    Screen brightness control
    Battery charge level and standby (it can only tell if connected to A/C, no battery polling levels detected)
    Further check audio and app compatibility once WiFi is working
    So, I've a been playing around with trying to get wifi working... and well I've got it working :)
    [Installed using RemixOS_x64- Xposed-SuperSU-Gapps[v2] repack by PizzaG]

Fixed QCA6174 wifi drivers from here :- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1383184

init.sh file from here :- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/remix-os-for-pc/S7by6yxEiVQ

Enabling bluetooth lags my test device, and still no sound.

I'm sure I broke some rules, so sorry, but wifi working :D

Edit : Spelling / images not showing..
    I'm going to install it on my Tabpro S tonight and will report back.

EDIT2: or these methods also from the xda remix 3.0 threads
    In /system/build.prop change ro.remixos.box=true to false (should give brithness icon on the bottom)
    or
    Use Fn+left or right key combination
    or
    Edit: try this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.curvefish.widgets.brightnesslevelGreat!
    it was mentioned on another xda remix 3.0 thread.
    looking forward to it Im waiting for my usb adapter but might consider the partition method if brightness can be lowerd via a work around to save battery or fixed.
    Any news? I am still waiting for dual boot with any android os.
    Hello....we're you ever able to get this running on your tabpro s? I'm contemplating buying a tabpro.

Sent from my SM-P905V using XDA-Developers mobile app