Disable Default ASUS Launcher without Root and use any Launcher

Search This thread

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
Huawei Nexus 6P
ASUS ROG Phone II
Hi Guys,

Since a lot would like to use an alternative launcher to the default one which you can't change up until the moment i am writing this thread, there is an easy way of doing it.

P.S After the CN rom OTA update version "CN_16.0621.1907.48_0" it's not possible to disable the launcher using the method described below.

Steps:

-Make sure to enable developer options (USB debugging): https://www.embarcadero.com/starthe...bling_usb_debugging_on_an_android_device.html
-Make sure to download the latest platform tools to your PC from: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
-Make sure to install the 3rd party launcher before disabling the ASUS default launcher.
-Extract the zip file into your desktop, then inside the platform tools folder hold shift and right click the mouse you will see an option to: "open PowerShell window here" on Windows 10 and "open command window here" on older versions of Windows. Choose which ever you have.

-Using Powershell type: ".\adb devices" without Parenthesis
Using Command window type: "adb device" without Parenthesis

*you should see your device by now*

-Then type the following code if you are on the CN rom:

*On PowerShell type: ".\adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.launcher3" without parenthesis
*On Command window type: "adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.launcher3" without parenthesis

-Type the following code if you are on the WW rom:

*On PowerShell type: ".\adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.launcher" without parenthesis
*On Command window type: "adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.launcher" without parenthesis

That's it your installed 3rd party launcher is your default now.

If you want to go back and enable the default ASUS launcher on the CN rom simply type:

*On PowerShell type: ".\adb shell pm enable com.asus.launcher3" without parenthesis
*On Command window type: "adb shell pm enable com.asus.launcher3" without parenthesis

If you want to go back and enable the default ASUS launcher on the WW rom simply type:

*On PowerShell type: ".\adb shell pm enable com.asus.launcher" without parenthesis
*On Command window type: "adb shell pm enable com.asus.launcher" without parenthesis

*** Credits and source for disabling any app without root goes to the links provided earlier and mainly: https://www.xda-developers.com/disable-system-app-bloatware-android/

Good Luck :)

Last edited:

Dentist.M.Evy

Aug 4, 2019
Any one else tried this.? Or is there a way to do this without using a computer..? I apologize but I'm kinda noob in this stuff :confused:

Hi Guys,

Since a lot would like to use an alternative launcher to the default one which you can't change up until the moment i am writing this thread, there is an easy way of doing it.

Steps:

-Make sure to enable developer mode: https://www.embarcadero.com/starthe...bling_usb_debugging_on_an_android_device.html
-Make sure to download the latest platform tools to your PC from: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

-Extract the zip file into your desktop, then inside the platform tools folder hold shift and right click the mouse you will see an option to: "open PowerShell window here" on Windows 10 and "open command window here" on older versions of Windows. Choose which ever you have.

-Then type the following code:
*On PowerShell type: ".\adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.launcher3" without parenthesis
*On Command window type: "adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.launcher3" without parenthesis

That's it you can set any launcher as your default now.

If you want to go back and enable the default ASUS launcher simply type:

*On PowerShell type: ".\adb shell pm enable com.asus.launcher3" without parenthesis
*On Command window type: "adb shell pm enable com.asus.launcher3" without parenthesis

*** Credits and source for disabling any app without root goes to the links provided earlier and mainly: https://www.xda-developers.com/disable-system-app-bloatware-android/

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
Huawei Nexus 6P
ASUS ROG Phone II
I can't see my device connected in Powershell? When devices must connected?
When connecting the device to your PC make sure it's connected in file transfer mode and not charging.
When you type the command ".\adb device" and hit enter you should see a serial number returned that means your device is connected. After which you can enter the following command.

Romez123

Mar 19, 2009
Device still not on list (device connected its seeing in win explorer, , its set to file transfer,developer is on, mount success)

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

its work , USB DEBUG in developer must ON, thanks Bro

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
Huawei Nexus 6P
ASUS ROG Phone II
Device still not on list (device connected its seeing in win explorer, , its set to file transfer,developer is on, mount success)

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Yeah it's already stated in the first step to enable developer mode aka "enable USB debugging" that's the point. Anyway you are welcome!

Edit: I just rewritten step 1 to make it clearer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shady282

loudog3114

Mar 1, 2007
You can probably use this method to configure gboard as well. Mine is showing up today so I will confirm.

xyrockrain

Aug 15, 2019
If I disable the RoG/ asus Launcher and use Nova Launcher instead, would game genie, xmode and the air trigger still work without any problems?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

P.S After the CN rom OTA update version "CN_16.0621.1907.48_0" it's not possible to disable the launcher using the method described below.

Steps:

-Make sure to enable developer options (USB debugging): https://www.embarcadero.com/starthe...bling_usb_debugging_on_an_android_device.html
    -Make sure to install the 3rd party launcher before disabling the ASUS default launcher.

-Then type the following code if you are on the CN rom:

-Type the following code if you are on the WW rom:

*On PowerShell type: ".\adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.launcher" without parenthesis
    *On Command window type: "adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.launcher" without parenthesis

That's it your installed 3rd party launcher is your default now.

If you want to go back and enable the default ASUS launcher on the CN rom simply type:

If you want to go back and enable the default ASUS launcher on the WW rom simply type:

*On PowerShell type: ".\adb shell pm enable com.asus.launcher" without parenthesis
    *On Command window type: "adb shell pm enable com.asus.launcher" without parenthesis

Any update regarding this? I also face the same problem.

I converted to ww rom and it's way better. Highly recommend
    Just Did it :laugh:
    Worked like a charm :cool::good:
    Great Thanks :good:

You can't do this without a PC unless you are rooted. It's not as complicated as it seems though.

Yeah it's already stated in the first step to enable developer mode aka "enable USB debugging" that's the point. Anyway you are welcome!

Edit: I just rewritten step 1 to make it clearer.
    Armoury crate is non stop crashing if opened after disabling Asus Launcher.. sad because i like the recents menu when the launcher is disabled..

See my reply to your question here. It walks you through updating to latest 1908 WW with root. Once done, you'll have a clean device to install your favorite launcher (i use Nova Prime). Lastest ROM 1908 fixes the launcher changing back to asus after armoury crate is launched, so there's no need to disable it once you've chosen [nova] as your main launcher, no more armoury crate crashes and no more asus launcher turning back as default.

This worked for me at least, hope it works for you - just be sure to clean install everything after the instructions from link.