FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

My unlocked Verizon S10+ is somehow locked

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By camwow13, Junior Member on 20th August 2019, 12:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Alright, got a pretty wacky situation here. Trying to see if anyone has any ideas of how to fix this.

I bought an S10+ Verizon firmware from Swappa a few days ago. I intended to use it with T-Mobile. Good deal, good transaction, all good right? Wrong...
It was my understanding that most Verizon phones were unlocked and that I could just flash the Unlocked or T-Mobile firmware to get full T-Mobile functionality.
On receiving the phone I got a "This phone is locked, contact Verizon at etc etc" message. I shrugged and flashed it over to unlocked firmware, where I was met with an "Invalid SIM card. Network locked SIM card inserted." and "PIN to unlock SIM service provider" window. So the phone was locked. Here's my troubleshooting steps from there.
  • Contacted Verizon support online. They said they lock all their phones for 60 days now as of late July. I said I'd bought it used, they said it had been bought at Walmart recently and there was nothing they could do.
  • Contacted the seller. He gave me his proof of purchase that the phone was bought new from Samsung.com back in March. I used a site to check the IMEI and the phone was legit from March, and not reported stolen or sketchy at all. Samsung.com specifically says they don't lock their phones and it was well before the 60 day policy anyway.
  • Contacted Verizon support where they said the phone was purchased as a Verizon phone so it can't be used with other networks. I should sign up for Verizon to enjoy all the features of my phone πŸ™„ ....and also have it activated on the network so it could be cleared and unlocked. Alright...
  • I took the phone to a Verizon store where they put an active Verizon SIM in it. Verizon SIM worked great, T-Mobile still had an unlock code. The employee was confused and said they've never entered an Unlock PIN before so he sent me to corporate Verizon support store they had nearby.
  • Corporate Verizon store was a ton more helpful and the guy called up their god-tier upper support guys. Those guys took over an hour fiddling with things and along the way determined that the phone and it's IMEI were all clear, not stolen, and unlocked. The previous owner had a clean account and was in good standing. The store guy said he'd never seen anything like this and in his four years he'd never entered a SIM pin before. They additionally made sure I hadn't accidentally encrypted my SIM with a pin (I hadn't) and that all the default Verizon 000000, 123456, and 111111 codes weren't going to work. They recommended I contact Samsung support.
  • Samsung support thought I was an idiot and said that all the phones sold on their storefront are locked and I should contact Verizon to get it unlocked. I tried explaining all of the above but it was like talking to a brick wall.

So what have I tried?
  • Flashed the phone from Verizon to Unlocked to T-Mobile to Unlocked firmware using Frija and patched Odin. Verizon firmware throws a "contact Verizon" message and sometimes a code window, unlocked gives me code window, and T-Mobile just says it's locked and doesn't give me anything.
  • I have tried Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile SIMs from my friends. T-Mobile and AT&T work for a couple minutes completely normally on reboot. Connection establishes, data, text, and calls come in. Then it locks up and doesn't work. Verizon SIM works entirely normally, but doesn't unlock phone even after being left in for an hour.

Going forward I am going to try
[LIST]
Ask the internet for help. I've googled the living daylights out of this problem and I can't find anyone in my situation. Help?
[\LIST][LIST]
Flash the phone back to Verizon firmware. Perhaps the unlock mechanism works somewhere in the firmware and only when it's connected to the Verizon network. Take it to the store, have them pop a Verizon SIM in for a bit, and hope for the best. Flashing from Unlocked to VZW firmware isn't working right now for some odd reason though. It's going back to TMB instead and I'm confused about that to.
[\LIST]
  • Figure out how to get non-incompetent support out of Verizon (though I've mostly gotten there already) or Samsung and see if someone can help me. When I had to unlock my T-Mobile S8 I bought from Samsung, the IMEI numbers weren't passed to T-Mobile so the regular support people said it was impossible. Eventually I got in contact with someone who broke me out of idiot-land and directly contacted a network engineer who solved the problem in less than 10 minutes. Maybe I can find a network engineer at Verizon?
  • I could use a sketchy SIM unlock website. Is there any not-sketchy ones?
 
 
20th August 2019, 08:35 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 686
 
More
There's an XDA thread for S10+ U & U1 updates by the mod ibowtoandroid. I believe he has an unlock service that's legit but apparently not cheap. If you read through that thread you might find information helpful for your situation. But if you post a question that was previously answered you will likely be told to read through the thread even though the person who tells you that could have actually answered your question in the same amount of time. It's not the friendliest thread but you might find your answer.

There is a lot of discussion about switching carrier firmware. Since your phone shows up as locked by Verizon even though it shouldn't be you might need to use a Verizon SIM for 48 hours before the phone will revert back to unlocked status--at the time your phone was originally purchased it was necessary to use a Verizon SIM on their branded phones for 48 hours before they could be switched to another carrier.

It's possible you got that message when you purchased your phone because the 48 hour clock started over for some reason but that's only a guess--the ibowtoandroid guy is far more knowledgeable since he actually has a business that unlocks phones.

Are you sure the person who you bought your phone from actually unlocked it before selling it to you? Even if the phone shows up as a device that should be unlocked the previous owner who had the Verizon service might have needed to call Verizon to verify the phone's unlock status before selling it.

Sometimes people accidentally relock these phones when flashing carrier firmware. It doesn't sound like you did that based on your description but if the previous owner flashed firmware to completely reset the phone instead of just performing a factory reset he might have accidentally relocked your phone on the software end.
25th August 2019, 09:59 AM |#3  
elliwigy's Avatar
Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 8,278
 
Donate to Me
More
based on wat ur saying the phone definitely seems to b carrier locked. I got an A50 from verizon and it does the same ecact thing..

theres services online you can use or some boxes have methods as well.. my tmo a10e for example was locked but chimera tool has a neat feature called carrier relock.. it essentially locks it to up to 64 carriers instead of actually unlocking the sim..

one thing i suggest tho is dont try to do it urself unless ur a seasoned expert lol.. i tried on a n976v and after a few harmless at commands it completely killed my imei and cert and mipi etc etc
10th September 2019, 11:38 AM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by camwow13

Alright, got a pretty wacky situation here. Trying to see if anyone has any ideas of how to fix this.

I bought an S10+ Verizon firmware from Swappa a few days ago. I intended to use it with T-Mobile. Good deal, good transaction, all good right? Wrong...
It was my understanding that most Verizon phones were unlocked and that I could just flash the Unlocked or T-Mobile firmware to get full T-Mobile functionality.
On receiving the phone I got a "This phone is locked, contact Verizon at etc etc" message. I shrugged and flashed it over to unlocked firmware, where I was met with an "Invalid SIM card. Network locked SIM card inserted." and "PIN to unlock SIM service provider" window. So the phone was locked. Here's my troubleshooting steps from there.

  • Contacted Verizon support online. They said they lock all their phones for 60 days now as of late July. I said I'd bought it used, they said it had been bought at Walmart recently and there was nothing they could do.
  • Contacted the seller. He gave me his proof of purchase that the phone was bought new from Samsung.com back in March. I used a site to check the IMEI and the phone was legit from March, and not reported stolen or sketchy at all. Samsung.com specifically says they don't lock their phones and it was well before the 60 day policy anyway.
  • Contacted Verizon support where they said the phone was purchased as a Verizon phone so it can't be used with other networks. I should sign up for Verizon to enjoy all the features of my phone πŸ™„ ....and also have it activated on the network so it could be cleared and unlocked. Alright...
  • I took the phone to a Verizon store where they put an active Verizon SIM in it. Verizon SIM worked great, T-Mobile still had an unlock code. The employee was confused and said they've never entered an Unlock PIN before so he sent me to corporate Verizon support store they had nearby.
  • Corporate Verizon store was a ton more helpful and the guy called up their god-tier upper support guys. Those guys took over an hour fiddling with things and along the way determined that the phone and it's IMEI were all clear, not stolen, and unlocked. The previous owner had a clean account and was in good standing. The store guy said he'd never seen anything like this and in his four years he'd never entered a SIM pin before. They additionally made sure I hadn't accidentally encrypted my SIM with a pin (I hadn't) and that all the default Verizon 000000, 123456, and 111111 codes weren't going to work. They recommended I contact Samsung support.
  • Samsung support thought I was an idiot and said that all the phones sold on their storefront are locked and I should contact Verizon to get it unlocked. I tried explaining all of the above but it was like talking to a brick wall.

So what have I tried?
  • Flashed the phone from Verizon to Unlocked to T-Mobile to Unlocked firmware using Frija and patched Odin. Verizon firmware throws a "contact Verizon" message and sometimes a code window, unlocked gives me code window, and T-Mobile just says it's locked and doesn't give me anything.
  • I have tried Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile SIMs from my friends. T-Mobile and AT&T work for a couple minutes completely normally on reboot. Connection establishes, data, text, and calls come in. Then it locks up and doesn't work. Verizon SIM works entirely normally, but doesn't unlock phone even after being left in for an hour.

Going forward I am going to try
[LIST]
Ask the internet for help. I've googled the living daylights out of this problem and I can't find anyone in my situation. Help?
[\LIST][LIST]
Flash the phone back to Verizon firmware. Perhaps the unlock mechanism works somewhere in the firmware and only when it's connected to the Verizon network. Take it to the store, have them pop a Verizon SIM in for a bit, and hope for the best. Flashing from Unlocked to VZW firmware isn't working right now for some odd reason though. It's going back to TMB instead and I'm confused about that to.
[\LIST]
  • Figure out how to get non-incompetent support out of Verizon (though I've mostly gotten there already) or Samsung and see if someone can help me. When I had to unlock my T-Mobile S8 I bought from Samsung, the IMEI numbers weren't passed to T-Mobile so the regular support people said it was impossible. Eventually I got in contact with someone who broke me out of idiot-land and directly contacted a network engineer who solved the problem in less than 10 minutes. Maybe I can find a network engineer at Verizon?
  • I could use a sketchy SIM unlock website. Is there any not-sketchy ones?

hi, did you manage to solve the problem? mine S10 also asks for an unlock code 5 minutes after turning it on.
11th September 2019, 01:54 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwxxx1982

hi, did you manage to solve the problem? mine S10 also asks for an unlock code 5 minutes after turning it on.

Hello!

Yes I did solve the situation! Here's the steps that I used to unlock my Verizon Galaxy S10+
  • I had changed the firmware to unlocked firmware using Odin and Freya. This was premature.
  • Verizon does not do unlock codes. You need to have the Verizon firmware on the phone, a Verizon SIM card from a friend, access to the Verizon account, and like an hour of spare time.
  • Pop the Verizon SIM into your phone, you can get them from a friend, convince a Verizon store guy to help ya out, or just pay a few bucks for a prepaid plan. The phone has to be on the Verizon network for this to work.
  • Call up Verizon technical support. Tell them you've got a phone to unlock and have been working with their Tier 2 team to square things away. You have to be transferred to Tier 2.
  • Important to note that Verizon has instigated a 60 day locking policy to prevent theft and whatnot on their network. If the phone was purchased less than 60 days ago and activated on Verizon's network than you're outa luck. You got to wait. If you don't fall under this restriction, you should make sure the support people understand because they'll assume that's what's happening... a lot.
  • The Tier 2 people generally know what they're doing. They'll verify the device's IMEI and that it hasn't been stolen, is paid off, and that your Verizon account is in good standing. They'll need the PIN access code from the Verizon account holder or a two step verification with another one of their phones.
  • Once they run the unlock process you should get a text saying the phone is now unlocked. Leave the SIM in for another hour or two to allow the process to complete. I removed the SIM shortly after on the first try and it didn't work so I had to do it again.
  • After that the phone should be unlocked and you'll be able to flash whatever firmware you want and use it on whichever network. I've got mine running Unlocked firmware on T-Mobile, works great

If you don't have a Verizon S10+ that's locked to Verizon I dunno where to start. Contact the mod ibowtoandroid on here if you get really really stuck. He can get it unlocked but it will cost a ton. He's legit though.
The Following User Says Thank You to camwow13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift camwow13 Ad-Free
11th September 2019, 06:49 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by camwow13

Hello!

Yes I did solve the situation! Here's the steps that I used to unlock my Verizon Galaxy S10+[LIST]
I had changed the firmware to unlocked firmware using Odin and Freya. This was premature.
.


thanks, but I upgraded the phone to another firmware with the code XAA and now I can’t get it back to Verezion
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes