FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM-DISCONTINUED][SGH-I727][6.0.1_r61][AOSP+CAF][CMTE+OMS][MM] CandySiX - Skyrocket

4,170 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,864

By NoSpamDan, Recognized Developer on 1st January 2016, 12:33 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
CandyRoms logo

This is CandySiX. Built straight from source with commits from a variety of different Sources/ROMS. We wanted to give the users a fun, fully customizable ROM. We aim to add more features as this project progresses.

Check us out on the web @The-Candy-Shop

@matthew0776 @mar5hal @gimmeitorilltell @Cuzz1369 @rc420head @Flashalot @Venomtester @Darknites @javelinanddart @calebcabob @NoSpamDan

ROM
DEVICES/KERNELS

Disclaimer: We here at The CandyShop are not responsible for any bricks you may obtain. Please follow the thread rules and steps and everything will be gravy. Remember, backing up before flashing is always recommended.

FEATURES
Choose from CMTE or OMS (RRO Layers is DEPRECATED)
Battery bar
LCD density options
Multi-window
Status bar customization
Quick setting customization
Quick setting pull down options
Force expand notifications
Time contextual headers in panel
Dark UI switch
Advanced power menu
Extra IME options
In-Call vibration options
Lockscreen customizations:
-Shortcuts
-Music visualizer
-Weather
Animations:
-Power menu
-List view
-System
-Toast
Navbar customization (CMTE only):
-SmartBar
-Fling
-Pulse
Hardware Buttons settings:
-Slim Hardware key rebinding
-Long-press/double-tap actions
-Volume rocker
On the Go mode
Screenshot Crop & Share
Fully charged notification and toggle
CPU info overlay (Developer options)
Snap camera (Sultan's)
More to come, we are never done...

CHANGELOG

WARNING!
This is a Virtually Repartitioned ROM!

What this means is that you will need to take some special steps to flash this ROM. Don't worry, it's not that hard, and you will be able to return to stock with Odin at any time. The cool thing is that it will support a ton of apps and app data storage and will behave like a more modern device (but still has the inherent hardware limitations).

The basic idea with virtual repartitioning is that the partitions are renumbered from the stock numbering, but not resized. So the most important parts of this are (as an FYI, you don't need to know this ):
-The 2GB /data partition becomes a most adequate 2GB /system partition for the ROM and GApps.
-The 12GB Internal SD partition becomes /data, so you have that space to install apps.

It is strongly recommended to use an External SD card to store the ROM/flashing files and for backups, etc., however it is not mandatory. If you do not have an External SD and you need to format the /data and /Internal storage partitions, you will have to copy the files you need from your PC again. Easy peasy, right?

FAQ/NOTES:
  1. When formatting the device, first go to the Mount menu and make sure none of the partitions you want to format are mounted. If they are, formatting will fail.
  2. Make sure you have NOT selected Mount USB Storage, and that the MTP button says "Enable MTP", which means it is DISABLED. If either of these are enabled, then formatting may fail.
  3. The /system partition is formatted as EXT4.
  4. The /data and /cache partitions can be formatted as either EXT4 or F2FS.
  5. The Internal Storage should be formatted as EXT4 or F2FS.
  6. The External SD card (if you have one) would be best formatted as FAT, which you can do in your computer. When the ROM boots, it will detect the card and offer you one of two different ways to use it, as "Internal storage" that will only work with your device for security (requires formatting and encryption by Android), or as "Portable storage" that will work in other devices.
    CAUTION: With Internal, you will have to entirely format your card if you have issues and it can not be used in ANY other device. In fact, it will become invisible in file managers because it becomes an extension to the Internal SD card storage. Format the ExternalSD card to Internal Format at your own risk.
  7. When formatting /data, the default behavior is that /data/media is not deleted. In order to wipe /data/media, you need to either go to TWRP > Wipe > Advanced wipe > Format data, or delete the folder manually through the file manager in TWRP.
  8. TWRP > Wipe > Advanced wipe > Format data is also needed if you plan to use device encryption, because this step allows for a space at the end of /data to contain the encryption information. Without this, encryption will fail!
  9. IMPORTANT: If you have flashed a modified PIT file, flash back the STOCK PIT. You can also return to stock by using Odin and a Factory Image.
  10. If you are trying to get back to the stock partitioning:
    1. Flash a stock TWRP recovery ZIP or IMG file, or use Odin to push a TAR recovery over. After doing this you need to reboot your device into Recovery to load up the newly flashed version, and format each of the partitions to their defaults (ext4, for the most part). If you encounter errors formatting, reboot back into Recovery and try again.
    2. Check SamMobile.com for stock ROM packages. (There is a Stock ROM version in my AFH account which should be used for recovery purposes only.) Odin should also find the device if it's in download mode and you can flash a stock ROM back on it if you want.
  11. If you are not sure you used the correct recovery or you just want to check the partition structure (I may ask for this), you can run each of these commands from an adb prompt, and save the output to a file for linking in the thread for help/analysis:
    1. blkid
    2. cat /proc/mounts
    3. df

INSTALLATION STEPS:

Here is what you need to do; please follow the below steps carefully!
  1. Connect your device to your computer and FULLY BACK UP YOUR FILES from both your Internal and External Storage!
  2. While you are backing up your files, download the following files to your computer:
    • A custom TWRP recovery for virtually partitioned ROMs (see Post 2).
    • The ROM zip file (see Post 2).
    • A 6.0 Gapps package, pico recommended for now. (optional - see Post 2).
  3. Copy all of these files to your device's External SD card. If you don't have an External SD card, then you will need to copy them over from your computer after formatting your internal storage.
  4. MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP!
  5. Using your EXISTING RECOVERY, format /system, /data, /cache and /Internal Storage.
  6. Flash a VIRTUAL REPARTITIONED RECOVERY.
  7. REBOOT to Recovery to use the new one.
    1. Select Wipe > Advanced Wipe > System, then press the "Repair or change file system" button. Choose "Change File System" and select EXT4. Swipe to apply.
    2. Press the back button and verify the Size: and Free: values at the top. The System partition should be 2GB. Press the Repair button and swipe to apply.
    3. For good measure, now press the Resize button and swipe to apply.
  8. Repeat steps 1-3 for the Data partition, choosing EXT4 or F2FS as the file system, then Repair and finally Resize.
  9. Repeat steps 1-3 for the Cache partition, choosing EXT4 or F2FS as the file system, then Repair and finally Resize.
  10. Reboot to Recovery and wipe /system again.
  11. Flash the CandySiX zip
  12. Flash Gapps (nano or pico Open GApps or BaNks ones, etc.). You may have to experiment a little.
  13. Reboot and Enjoy
  14. Please give first boot a good several minutes. If you get stuck at the boot animation for a long time, try removing your ExternalSD card and reboot without it.

IMPORTANT - PROBLEMS/ISSUES:
If you have issues, I need the following:
  1. Logs from you (logcat, last_kmsg, dmesg) linked to on pastebin.com or hasteb.in, showing the failure.
  2. A clear description of the steps that I need to take to exactly reproduce the problem.
  3. State what flavor build you are on: CMTE, Layers, OMS, etc...
Please DO NOT complain about problems and offer nothing to help fix it. I reserve the right to ignore you for not following insructions...

NO ETA REQUESTS!

Special thanks to @gimmeitorilltell, @bryan2894, CyanogenMod, SlimRoms, Omni and all the rest who make their source open, we can't do this on our own.

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM-DISCONTINUED][SGH-I727][6.0.1_r61][AOSP+CAF][CMTE+OMS][MM] CandySiX - Skyrocket, ROM for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket SGH-I727

Contributors
NoSpamDan, gimmeitorilltell
ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.2
Stable Release Date: 2016-02-11

Created 2016-01-01
Last Updated 2017-01-05
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to NoSpamDan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st January 2016, 12:33 AM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Downloads

Make sure you have FULLY READ and FULLY UNDERSTAND the OP (Post 1) above before following any steps!

RECOVERY
BaNks just announced they aren't supporting TWRP versions below 3.0.
@bryan2894 has a Flashable 3.Xversion you can flash here:
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=24545070682210374
(My previous TWRP 2.8.7.0 for Virtual Partitioned ROMs: TWRP_2.8.7.0.VP_skyrocket_NSD.zip)

Be careful, because "official versions" of TWRP for the Skyrocket may not be compatible with Virtually Partitioned ROMs.

TWO ROM VERSIONS: Effective 26July2016, choose from CMTE or OMS/Substratum!
(You can NOT flash one on top of the other... If you decide to switch and try the other one, you MUST Clean Flash!)

DOWNLOAD CMTE (CM Theme Engine based) ROM:
CandySiX-celox-3.2-OFFICIAL-0910.zip

DOWNLOAD OMS/Substratum themed ROM (Substratum app required - Guide to using Substratum):
CandySiX-celox-3.2.S-OFFICIAL-0910.zip

GAPPS
"Normal" BaNks Dynamic GApps
Open GApps
Your best bet is to flash a Pico GApps package made for Android Marshmallow which doesn't have an included keyboard or any keyboard modifications. Watch out for GApps that replace Gallery too!

EXTRAS
- If you want to remove the built-in SuperSU, flash this in recovery after the ROM: SuperSU_Root_Remover.zip

Previous ROM versions for convenience (can be found on my AFH account unless they are OTAs).

DO NOT FLASH a CMTE ROM on top of an OMS or LAYERS version. You must CLEAN FLASH if switching theme engines!

OMS/Substratum-based:
CandySiX-celox-3.2.S-OFFICIAL-0910.zip
CandySiX-celox-3.2.S-OFFICIAL-0902.zip
CandySiX-celox-3.2.S-OFFICIAL-0817.zip
CandySiX-celox-3.2.S-OFFICIAL-0808.zip

CMTE-based:
CandySiX-celox-3.2-OFFICIAL-0903.zip
CandySiX-celox-3.2-OFFICIAL-0817.zip
CandySiX-celox-3.2-OFFICIAL-0809.zip
CandySiX-celox-3.2-OFFICIAL-0807.zip

Layers-based (deprecated):
CandySiX-celox-2.3-OFFICIAL-0514.zip

Previous GApps versions can be found on my AFH account here.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NoSpamDan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st January 2016, 01:13 AM |#4  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Let me know how this works out for you folks. I still need Mobile Data tested and please remember it's Alpha right now, so I need logs when things aren't working.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoSpamDan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st January 2016, 09:58 AM |#5  
Flag Grand Rapids
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Some Logs for bug fixing
Unable to test mobile data atm since it seems to not recognize the sim card that was working on a lollipop rom before flashing. However while only using this rom, a pico gapps build from open gapps, and a viper4android flashable zip, the stock keyboard seems to be broken with constant messages of android keyboard has stopped. It would seem the libjni_latinimegoogle.so is causing the errors when I breifly looked at the logs. Hopefully these logs I've included can help you in fixing some bugs. Log is in a zip file since the txt is larger than xda allows.
Attached Files
File Type: zip C6FSlog.zip - [Click for QR Code] (98.0 KB, 98 views)
1st January 2016, 06:35 PM |#6  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguraf13

Unable to test mobile data atm since it seems to not recognize the sim card that was working on a lollipop rom before flashing. However while only using this rom, a pico gapps build from open gapps, and a viper4android flashable zip, the stock keyboard seems to be broken with constant messages of android keyboard has stopped. It would seem the libjni_latinimegoogle.so is causing the errors when I breifly looked at the logs. Hopefully these logs I've included can help you in fixing some bugs. Log is in a zip file since the txt is larger than xda allows.

What ROM version are you on? Make sure it's the latest linked in Post 2, and says "OFFICIAL" on it.. I fixed mobile data in that.

If you're not running that one, you can reboot to recovery, wipe system, cache and dalvik, flash the updated OFFICIAL ROM and GApps and should be good.

Edit: Thank you for taking the time to provide a log.
1st January 2016, 07:09 PM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguraf13

As for the keyboard issue, take those files out of your GApps zip. I used BanKs Dynamic GApps. I think there's something with how our older devices are detected in the new M GApps install scripts and it will be sorted eventually.

By removing these files, you will lose the swipe capability in the AOSP keyboard, but it will still work (no FCs) to log into Google and set everything up. Then just install Google Keyboard and you can have swipe typing back for now.

EDIT: I uploaded a modified BanKs Gapps package (one that I used) and linked it in Post 2...
The Following User Says Thank You to NoSpamDan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st January 2016, 07:51 PM |#8  
Flag Grand Rapids

More
Saw the thread and download the rom through whatever link I found at the time and got the unofficial one, I'll go download the new one and do some more testing, Thanks for all your work
2nd January 2016, 07:17 PM |#9  
OP Recognized Developer

More
New ROM version available in Post 2: CandySiX-alpha-skyrocket-OFFICIAL-0102-16.zip

This one has Quick Settings Tile Customization, Status Bar mods, Battery mods... more features to come in the near future!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoSpamDan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2016, 09:18 AM |#10  
OP Recognized Developer

More
New build up in Post 2 with working Navigation Bar and some other things - CandySiX-alpha-skyrocket-OFFICIAL-0103-04.zip. Things will be slowing down here shortly once I return to work...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoSpamDan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2016, 08:06 PM |#11  
Flag Grand Rapids

More
Flashed new build, Calls and sim card works, the new reboot menu is a welcome feature, mobile data doesnt seem to work atm, included logs of me testing out the camera, calling, mobile data on and off, wifi on and off, and attempting to open play store with wifi off

Update: Seems like the bootanimation for me is a bit broken, only shows a black screen during boot then gets to lock screen fine. Also can't seem to properly access the external sd card in es file explorer or install any apks in the system file explorer off the external sd card.
Attached Files
File Type: zip logcat.zip - [Click for QR Code] (111.2 KB, 26 views)
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread