FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

I modded a wireless pad with magnets to create a magnetic wireless charging dock

1,402 posts
Thanks Meter: 245

By ranova, Senior Member on 6th March 2016, 12:25 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I always loved the idea of snap on wireless charging of the Palm Pixi, so when I bought the S7 Edge, I wanted to have a similar effect.

I modded CHOETECH Fast Charging Area Qi Wireless Charging Pad with some 1/2 x 1/8 Inch Neodymium Rare Earth Disc Magnets and added some 15/8 x 1/32 in N52 Neodymium Magnets in between the case (you will likely need a TPU flexible case since hard ones will be tough to conform around the magnets) and the phone. I now have a magnetic FAST wireless charger for my car where I just need to snap in my phone and it charges. I, unfortunately, sometimes go over bumps on the highway at 80+mph and have not had the phone move a bit.

This should work with ANY compatible phone with wireless charging.

The entire process is easy, here's a quick video I made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoC0CrEuMw
Not mentioned or shown in the video is my supergluing the magnets into the case and the into the charger so they do not move.
Edit: Tip from Milimbar, put tape over the magnets so it doesnt scratch the glass

I'm using a Kenu Airframe+ vent mount and a piece of plastic in between the the wireless charging pad and the kenu.

Overall, this is not a cheap mod/car dock. You could get the cheaper, non-fast charging wireless pad, split magnets with someone, and get a cheaper vent mount.
Fast Wireless Charging pad: $35
Kenu Airframe: $30
Magnets: $13 and $12
Total: $90

Edit: the only reason why I had used the 1/2 x 1/8 magnets is because I had spares from a previous purchase. JaredC01 makes a great point that you can combine a few of the 5/8 x 1/31 magnets together to form a stronger magnet.
Cheaper option:
Non-fast Wireless Charging Pad: $26
50 count 15 x 1mm 5/8 x 1/32 in N52 Strong Disc Rare Earth Neodymium: $12 (oos at the moment)
Wizgear vent mount: $10
Total: $48

Some images of the mod:
http://imgur.com/gallery/WUj4r

Quick gif of it in action, in the car:
http://i.imgur.com/6ClCxUJ.gifv

Issues:
If there is a magnet at the bottom right of the phone (while facing the back of the phone), auto-brightness and the lights of the capacitive buttons will NOT work due to the smart case sensors. Just go ahead and remove the magnet from that position from the case and the charging pad. The 3 magnet positions will still be more than enough to hold the phone up.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to ranova For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ranova Ad-Free

6th March 2016, 12:36 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 780

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranova

I always loved the idea of snap on wireless charging of the Palm Pixi, so when I bought the S7 Edge, I wanted to have a similar effect.

I modded CHOETECH Fast Charging Area Qi Wireless Charging Pad with some 1/2 x 1/8 Inch Neodymium Rare Earth Disc Magnets and added some 15 x 1mm 5/8 x 1/32 in N52 Neodymium Magnets in between the case (you will likely need a TPU flexible case since hard ones will be tough to conform around the magnets) and the phone. I now have a magnetic FAST wireless charger for my car where I just need to snap in my phone and it charges.

This should work with ANY compatible phone with wireless charging.

The entire process is easy, here's a quick video I made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoC0CrEuMw
Not mentioned or shown in the video is my supergluing the magnets into the case and the into the charger so they do not move.

I'm using a Kenu Airframe+ and a piece of plastic to hold the wireless charging pad in place on the vent mount

Some images of the mod:
http://imgur.com/a/WUj4r

Another poster said his S7 edge held onto a magnetic stand in his car. Does this work without your magnetic case? Only tea on I as is I want to mod my car charger to be wireless charging with magnets holding the phone vice the squeeze system it uses, and not having to worry about a case would be cool? Though I'm sure I'll eventually find a case I like and can mod it with the magnets.

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk
6th March 2016, 12:37 AM |#3  
Looks nice, you know what they say about necessity right....

I would put at least a piece of tape or screen protector over the magnets so they are not in direct contact with the glass.
6th March 2016, 12:48 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milimbar

Looks nice, you know what they say about necessity right....

I would put at least a piece of tape or screen protector over the magnets so they are not in direct contact with the glass.

good call. Just added some directly over the magnets and case
6th March 2016, 12:50 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Dennis_

Another poster said his S7 edge held onto a magnetic stand in his car. Does this work without your magnetic case? Only tea on I as is I want to mod my car charger to be wireless charging with magnets holding the phone vice the squeeze system it uses, and not having to worry about a case would be cool? Though I'm sure I'll eventually find a case I like and can mod it with the magnets.

I'll have to test later but it probably does because of the wireless charging coils inside the phone. If this were the case, it would not charge since there cannot be metal or magnets inbetween the coils
6th March 2016, 12:53 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 780

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranova

I'll have to test later but it probably does because of the wireless charging coils inside the phone. If this were the case, it would not charge since there cannot be metal or magnets inbetween the coils

True, I was hoping it was the metal frame but it's probably the coil

Either way in doing this when I get hone a the end of the month and have my phone in hand .

6th March 2016, 01:33 AM |#7  
Flag lake elsinore
Thanks Meter: 202

More
I have gone ahead and added the pics on my post.

The wireless charger is a big plus with magnetic mount 😲 icing on a cake i just hope nothing affects it in the long run
6th March 2016, 02:35 AM |#8  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Awesome idea, though for the magnets couldn't you have just used all of the smaller magnets and added additional magnets to the base side (stacking them like coins) for a stronger field?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
6th March 2016, 02:40 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Yeah, good point, I had some extra thicker ones, but, yes that should work!
6th March 2016, 03:57 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 502

More
Good post! Thin metal disks could be enough for your phone. To save money, retail packaging uses a magnet on only one side of the connection.
6th March 2016, 04:11 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 702

More
I've made about 4 of my own charging docks. I played with magnets for a while but what I really love is micro suction foam. Stuff is amazing and works on any case or phone with a smooth surface. Here's what I made for my car. I took a standard wireless charger. Encased in epoxy. Then cut it into a square. Wrapped in aluminum and put microsection foam on the face.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457277094680.jpg
Views:	3352
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	3672584   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457277107437.jpg
Views:	3362
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	3672586  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)