FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Cracks through S7 Edge Screen - No physical reason

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By floydian42, Junior Member on 16th July 2016, 05:21 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey Guys,
I have noticed have been a few reports of S7 Edge screens cracking for what seems to be no reason. Mine has lived in a Pelican cover all of its life

I had mine next to my bed last night, before going to sleep I turned it over to be screen side down, and I heard a weird noise coming from it (sounding something like an electrical short). I picked it up, unplugged the charger, and was able to see the cracks appear as they slowly (over about 4 seconds) appeared all over the screen.
From looking at it, the cracks appear to have originated from the volume buttons?
Does anyone have any ideas / other articles / posts that I can see to help me with my case with Samsung warranty in Australia?

Thanks a lot for your help

16th July 2016, 05:27 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
I did try and insert a link to the photos I took, but as a new member I cannot insert links.
16th July 2016, 06:51 AM |#3  
Flag Bournemouth
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Haven't heard of this issue.

Try mailing me a link through private messaging and I can post it.
16th July 2016, 08:05 AM |#4  
Flag Bournemouth
Thanks Meter: 78

More
There you go.

http://imgur.com/a/3cDKK
24th July 2016, 12:02 PM |#5  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 22

More
It appears that the display cracked from within? Did you apply any considerable force to the volume buttons before this?
Can you feel the cracks when running your finger across the screen?

I'm sorry for your loss, though you actually seem strangely calm when discussing your spontaneously cracking smartphone.
25th July 2016, 09:19 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaitama

It appears that the display cracked from within? Did you apply any considerable force to the volume buttons before this?
Can you feel the cracks when running your finger across the screen?

I'm sorry for your loss, though you actually seem strangely calm when discussing your spontaneously cracking smartphone.

The cracks seem to be from within the screen, and you cannot really feel anything from the surface.
There was no unusual force applied to the phone that I can recall.
The part that really confused me, was the fact that it seemed to take about 5 seconds from the start of being able to hear the noise, to the time the cracks had made their way across the screen.

Yeah, not calm, pretty pissed about the whole thing actually. I was hoping I would be able to find a few more examples of this happening to others, but it doesn't appear to be the case.
25th July 2016, 09:23 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Contact samsungs customer service, maybe there is a chance that you get it replaced by samsung. Doesn't look like it's your fault.
25th July 2016, 10:07 AM |#8  
Flag England
Thanks Meter: 1,182

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paysen

Contact samsungs customer service, maybe there is a chance that you get it replaced by samsung. Doesn't look like it's your fault.

The problem will be proving that. I'm not implying the OP isn't being truthful, but you can pretty much guarantee the majority of people that go to Samsung with cracked screens do so whilst claiming that it just happened and the phone hadn't been dropped/manhandled etc, even if they had. Unfortunately, I can't see this being repaired free of charge.

As for the photos, I can't look at them without cringing! I'd be mortified if that happened to mine. Hope you get it sorted.
26th July 2016, 01:19 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paysen

The phone is currently with a service centre in Perth WA.
The guy I spoke to there was one of the biggest douche bags I have dealt with in a very long time. He had very close to zero interest in helping me, and pretty much laughed me off the whole time.
Yesterday (after about a week of it being at the service centre) I contacted Samsung Support, and they informed me that the warranty case manager at Samsung had rejected my claim as hey do not cover physical damage. I informed her of what had happened to the phone, and why in my opinion it should be covered. She said that there was no information on the Service Request form about what had happenened (written and sent in by the DB in Perth), and all the request said was "Cracked Screen and customer is escalating for Samsung to Cover". There was no information about what I had said happened, and as the case manager does not have the physical device (I am assuming they are on the other side of the country), they just directly rejected it without any thought because they don't normally cover that sort of damage.
Long story short, they are going to re open the service request with the new information and see how it goes.
This time I will be able to speak directly with the Samsung case manager and explain to him my version of events, instead of wasting my time with some smart arsed tech.

Fingers crossed
26th July 2016, 05:33 AM |#10  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Simmilar issue like Note 5/ Edge Plus. The problem is from drastic temperatures of charging device and surface of your table/ plot. The phone is very warm because of the charging process but the surface of the plot is cold -> and boom, the screen or glassy back cracking. My opinion is because of the slim body of the device, when the battery going to degredation the dimensions is going bigger and there is a chance to crack the whole device from inside.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)