FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to rename my external SD card?

825 posts
Thanks Meter: 51

By bsw11, Senior Member on 14th April 2016, 12:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
When I moved my 128gb card from my Note3 instead of extSdCard it for some weird reason named it 18fa-adfa. It's there a way to rename it. I have Busy box installed, I just need to know the steps to do it. I tried using ES Explorer but got a task failure.

Worst case please tell me how to do a symbolic link.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bsw11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bsw11 Ad-Free
14th April 2016, 01:06 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Use an sd adapter to put it in a pc and rename it there. Or connect phone to a pc in and try to change it in the windows file manager.
The Following User Says Thank You to Groid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Groid Ad-Free
14th April 2016, 04:39 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA

More
That did not work The drive label is not used as the root folder name. Any body else?

BSW DomPop Note 3
15th April 2016, 08:09 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsw11

That did not work The drive label is not used as the root folder name. Any body else?

BSW DomPop Note 3

Did you try putting the microsd card in an sdcard adapter and inserting into a card reader on the pc? This will show as a drive letter and should allow you to rename or format the microsd card.
16th April 2016, 07:40 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groid

Did you try putting the microsd card in an sdcard adapter and inserting into a card reader on the pc? This will show as a drive letter and should allow you to rename or format the microsd card.

That's what I did. Like I said it does not use the label as the folder name.

16th April 2016, 09:11 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 269

More
No way to rename the microSD, it's a new Android 6 feature: it refers to the microSD using some unique ID, not by the label.
But generally there are other ways to access the SD content, for ex. using /mnt/external_sd or similar
18th April 2016, 01:56 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Nope, S7E's marshmallow doesn't have those other symlink names unfortunately... Even updating sdcards on the same phone is painful. I have to redo all of my foldersync folder pairs
18th April 2016, 12:14 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz86

Nope, marshmallow doesn't have those other symlink names unfortunately...

I have /mnt/ext_sdcard (or something like this) on my LG G3 with 6.0, on my Mate 8 with 6.0, and now waiting today for my new S7E to verify...
18th April 2016, 09:21 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by themissionimpossible

I have /mnt/ext_sdcard (or something like this) on my LG G3 with 6.0, on my Mate 8 with 6.0, and now waiting today for my new S7E to verify...

Ah I guess it's just S7E's marshmallow. From my post on foldersync's community, seemed like lots of people hated MM's folder structure.

Definitely nothing under /mnt except emulated and the UUID, which really sucks. Perhaps we can all complain?
19th April 2016, 11:23 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz86

Definitely nothing under /mnt except emulated and the UUID, which really sucks.

After having received and configured my new S7E I unfortunately must confirm what you said... in the Samsung's MM there are no friendly names referring to the microSD under /mnt nor under /storage, like in other MM smartphones...
20th April 2016, 05:53 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA

More
There must be a way to symlnk a name? We need a small app for that. I'm sure rooting is required.

That is the 2nd thing Sammy messed up on, the 2nd is they are defaulting to Always on multi app pop up choosers. It is horrible.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)