SD card notifications is a hardware issue

Search This thread

jrwingate6

Aug 13, 2009
Charm City
I did some testing today and it appears that the SD card issue regarding the notifications we've been getting is a hardware issue and cannot be fixed through OTA's.

All day long while I was sitting at my desk with my phone laying flat, I did not get the notifications but as soon as I left the house and put the phone in my pocket, I got my first SD card notification.

I can now recreate the notification every time by turning my phone upside down and slightly tapping my finger where the SD card sits.

I'll probably just wait until Samsung fixes this and then warranty it through Tmobile. They've never gave me problems when it comes to shipping replacement phones.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

cheesecactus

Feb 5, 2016
Perth
Yep, its an issue with the sim card tray hopefully.

If it is i imagine theyll just ship out new ones to affected people. Dont want to have to return the whole thing if possible

jayb222

Jan 27, 2009
New York
Doesn't happen with mine. When I first turned it on after inserting it I got the notification but then I just swapped it away maybe 3 times and it's gone for good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Christian99

Nov 9, 2011
Ottawa
Yes its officially an hardware issue

I have had the same issue non-stop for a while. I did everything mentioned here without any exception. Its not only the notification. Its also when you are listening music and checking photos from your external SD card that the device suddenly stop responding. I have a friend who work for Samsung Canada and he is in a "high level position". They have been aware of the issue since March 11. All their first shipments (their first batch) has this issue. And they quickly worked on it for the second build. However, we don't exactly know when this second build will be on the shelves (they may already be or not). Sometimes, it takes months. Because they had a lot made before the launch. And they will pass all of those before going to the second batch with the fix. Its an hardware issue officially. Sad but we got a lemon. We are now stuck with it. I would certainly be more than happy to flag this on Twitter, Facebook, everywhere possible. Where is the facebook page to complain.

Christian99

Nov 9, 2011
Ottawa
I am a journalist in the tech field

And BTW, I've spoke to Samsung Canada for 2 hours with a supervisor and they will not admit this is a problem so no they will not ship new devices to affected people. As I have commented on my last post, I know from from a trusted source at Samsung (high level employee) that it is a hardware issue and that it will be fixed with new batch. However, he did not know when this new batch would be on the shelves. This could take months as they will sale the first batch first. Samsung Canada will not acknowledge and will not give people other devices.

otacon888

Jan 15, 2008
I had that on my first S7 edge...2 replacements later the problem was gone...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mitko76

Jan 26, 2009
London
I preoredred from samsung and got my s7 edge on 8th of march and have no sd card issues. I have samsung 64gb pro micro sd card.

Christian99

Nov 9, 2011
Ottawa
Please note that this can go away for a few days but will come back. No matter what you do (hard reset = I did 8 times), 2 micro SD, one Sandish and one Samsung = same problem. Unfortunately, it is a hardware issue. If I were you, I would protect my phone with a case and screen protector (to ensure to keep full warranty of the device) and wait a few months to get a phone from a new batch. I have a friend who works at Samsung Canada and he anonymously told me that this is a known issue by Samsung who will not admit it and they will still sale the batch that was previously build with this issue. Once they get new batch, this will be fixed. Also, my assumption is that the issue will get worse overtime (sun, cold, bending, pockets, etc). Good luck.

Jomari29

Jan 31, 2012
Perth
what's the problem?
SD card notifications? what notifications does the SD card give? I only encountered the reformat it on first insert and every time I reboot.

Christian99

Nov 9, 2011
Ottawa
The problem is more than the notification use your SD. Listen to music for a while and at the same time access your pictures on the SD. It may not do it for a while, but it will eventually. Everything will freeze (no SD recognized) until you restart the phone. I have 6 friends who bought the phone and it did eventually do it. I did reformat and hard reset, and every possible steps 8 times and it does come back.

mitko76

Jan 26, 2009
London
The problem is more than the notification use your SD. Listen to music for a while and at the same time access your pictures on the SD. It may not do it for a while, but it will eventually. Everything will freeze (no SD recognized) until you restart the phone. I have 6 friends who bought the phone and it did eventually do it. I did reformat and hard reset, and every possible steps 8 times and it does come back.

you are pathetic!!!!!

ayongkot

Nov 24, 2008
Venice
i have this phone for just 5 days and for the last 4 days i got this notification every reboot, but today, it just disappears. the last thing i did was transferred all apps possible to sd (external) as i could not do a back up (titanium backup) due to low memory.

Christian99

Nov 9, 2011
Ottawa
i have this phone for just 5 days and for the last 4 days i got this notification every reboot, but today, it just disappears. the last thing i did was transferred all apps possible to sd (external) as i could not do a back up (titanium backup) due to low memory.
The notification when you reboot the phone is totally normal. What is not, it's the random eject when you use the SD content. Some people have better device than others. I had pre ordered mine. Your 5 days purchase may be in the new batch. I don't know this for sure though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I haven't got a single notification about my SD Card except for the first time after my phone boots up.
    I only get it right after a reboot and that's it...
    Im pretty sure its not the entire tray is moving since it fits very snug in the phone, its probably the sd card moving inside the tray, mb you should try and tape it using some thin tape to the tray, mb that will help.
    Yes some people on the net were able to fix with tape. Approximately half of them did. For the other half it did not fix the issue. A piece of tape is a temporary fix for a hardware issue. The tape could stay stuck or melt in there, thus ruining your warranty. It's not normal to have a 900$ phone and have to tape it. But yes, temporary fix. If you can, exchange the phone asap instead.
    Yes some people on the net were able to fix with tape. Approximately half of them did. For the other half it did not fix the issue. A piece of tape is a temporary fix for a hardware issue. The tape could stay stuck or melt in there, thus ruining your warranty. It's not normal to have a 900$ phone and have to tape it. But yes, temporary fix. If you can, exchange the phone asap instead.

Its definition not the best solution, but he doesn't seem to want to go and replace it, so i suggested the next best thing, DIY.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

let me try the tape method. i know that's not how it *should* be, but i don't feel like going to the store to get a new one. i also dropped the phone and cracked a tiny portion of the screen on the lower part, they'll just blame that on me anyhow. i can get a new phone every 6 months anyhow, and in 6-7 months, we'll see if this is still around or if a new note edge will come around.

ps, i'm a totes samsung fanboy, been one since the Vibrant, lol.

I hope it fixes it for you :)
    Its definition not the best solution, but he doesn't seem to want to go and replace it, so i suggested the next best thing, DIY.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

I hope it fixes it for you :)
    I know I was not arguing. I was just mentioning it