FORUMS

A temporary fix for battery drain.

2,158 posts
Thanks Meter: 284
 
By jrwingate6, Senior Member on 23rd March 2016, 05:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
By now, most of you know there is a problem with battery drainage on the Snapdragon version. I along with many other people have fixed this by doing the following steps:

1. Clear Cache
2. Factory Reset
3. Opt out of all background reporting to Google and Samsung. (Google Location is okay)
4. Don't update any of the pre-installed apps through the play store that your not going to use.
5. Turn off auto update in the pay store.
6. Disable any app you don't want in the application settings.
7. Set location settings to GPS only.
8. Set WiFi to sleep when the screen is off or stay awake only when charging.
9. Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth scanning.

Last but not least DO NOT use an SD card unless your phone doesn't have the ejection bug. Every time you see the SD notification your phone is scanning the SD card. This can use a lot of power in the background as it wakes up the phone and doesn't allow it to go into its deep sleep state.

Also make sure you set it up as a new device instead of copying information from an old phone.

(Some are also reporting an improvement by just turning off Google and Samsung background reporting without even doing a factory reset.)

(Also DO NOT disable any packages using a package disabler app) Just disable apps you don't want through the application settings. I along with many others have reported worse battery life after disabling some of the packages.

For those of you (1 of you) saying this is pure snake oil, the following screenshots make for some compelling proof that it is not.

The first set of screenshots are of my battery performance before taking these steps and then some screenshots after taking these steps.









The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jrwingate6 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrwingate6 Ad-Free
23rd March 2016, 07:22 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 137
 
More
I've also disabled scanning for nearby devices, since my environment doesn't have any I can or want to connect to 98% of the time (and it can/will wake the WiFi w/o charging battery use to WiFi IIRC).

SM-G935A (US AT&T):
Settings > Connections > More connection Settings > Nearby device scanning > Off
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to C0derbear For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift C0derbear Ad-Free
23rd March 2016, 07:41 PM |#3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
I followed these steps this morning. I got excited when I saw in GSam that it was held awake for 0 seconds but since then it's still showing me held awake. Perhaps something I'm installing, I do notice screenwise is much higher for battery drain now. I drained a lot installing a ton of new apps so I can't go by anything yet but it seems the battery is more steadily depleting and losing less while idle. I'm interested in seeing how it performs after I go through this first cycle. Here's some screens

after reset SOT 1:47 58% left
before SOT 5:33 2% left

see how it seems to be more steady now, maybe I'm imagining it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ohmimpotence For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ohmimpotence Ad-Free
23rd March 2016, 07:46 PM |#4  
nobnut's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,705
 
More
This post is snake oil.

Any 'fix' that starts with "clear cache" is not a fix.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nobnut For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nobnut Ad-Free
23rd March 2016, 09:19 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 137
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobnut

Any 'fix' that starts with "clear cache" is not a fix.

I think that may be throwing out the baby with the bath water ... I don't know whether the cache has a direct effect or not, but the other settings seem to have a measurable impact.
23rd March 2016, 09:36 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwingate6

By now, most of you know there is a problem with battery drainage on the Snapdragon version. I along with many other people have fixed this by doing the following steps:

1. Clear Cache
2. Factory Reset
3. Opt out of all background reporting to Google and Samsung. (Google Location is okay)
4. Don't update any of the pre-installed apps through the play store that your not going to use.
5. Turn off auto update in the pay store.
6. Disable any app you don't want in the application settings.
7. Set location settings to GPS only.
8. Set WiFi to sleep when the screen is off or stay awake only when charging.
9. Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth scanning.

Last but not least DO NOT use an SD card unless your phone doesn't have the ejection bug. Every time you see the SD notification your phone is scanning the SD card. This can use a lot of power in the background as it wakes up the phone and doesn't allow it to go into its deep sleep state.

Also make sure you set it up as a new device instead of copying information from an old phone.

(Some are also reporting an improvement by just turning off Google and Samsung background reporting without even doing a factory reset.)

I wonder the true reason. I tried those steps before and that does not do the trick for me. Also, Bluetooth will sometimes just decide to eat 5% of the battery for no reason. However, the phone I get for my girlfriend (gold color, I got silver), without any adjustment out of the box can just get great battery life. Like without turn off anything. GPS is high accuracy, everything you mentioned in the post she has it on the regular setting, wifi on all the time, scanning device. The battery just keep doing great for her but terrible for me. I'm so confused regarding to this issue. Then I also tried package disabler on her phone, and it's still doing great.
23rd March 2016, 09:45 PM |#7  
jrwingate6's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Charm City
Thanks Meter: 284
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobnut

This post is snake oil.

Any 'fix' that starts with "clear cache" is not a fix.

Clearing the cache may do nothing at all. I am just sharing the steps I took to improve my battery life. You're right though. Clearing the cache most likely is not what fixed it.

The other things I have listed though (especially opting out of the Google background reporting) has improved mine and others battery life immensely. Many people have reported much better battery life after disabling the background reporting.

Like I said, I'm just listing what I did to improve my battery from draining 18% overnight in standby to only losing 2% overnight in standby.
23rd March 2016, 10:11 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 145
 
More
The "fix" is to change to exynos

(Just messing guys 😘)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johanbiff For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift johanbiff Ad-Free
23rd March 2016, 10:14 PM |#9  
jrwingate6's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Charm City
Thanks Meter: 284
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanbiff

The "fix" is to change to exynos

(Just messing guys ��)

Wish I could man. I don't really like buying phones out right anymore ever since getting Jump On Demand through T-Mobile. Having 3 upgrades a year without paying anything upfront is awesome.
23rd March 2016, 10:18 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 145
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwingate6

Wish I could man. I don't really like buying phones out right anymore ever since getting Jump On Demand through T-Mobile. Having 3 upgrades a year without paying anything upfront is awesome.

Yeah I understand. It really is to bad that it has this drain, hopefully they will patch it over soon with a fix for you u.s guys.
23rd March 2016, 10:37 PM |#11  
jrwingate6's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Charm City
Thanks Meter: 284
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanbiff

Yeah I understand. It really is to bad that it has this drain, hopefully they will patch it over soon with a fix for you u.s guys.

I like the phone a lot so I'm hoping as well. If they don't have it patched by the time the G5 and HTC 10 get here, I still have 1 upgrade left until July so I may take advantage of it and get one of those two.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes