FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[3/7] Samsung S7E Vs Nexus 6P Camera Samples (Comparison)

7,239 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,596

By Pilz, Senior Member on 25th February 2016, 12:06 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Update [3/7] I uploaded day and night samples using manual mode, ISO 100 and let the phone do the rest as requested. The pictures are in my Google Drive link below for everyone to download the full sized images since they get compressed on the forum.

Update [2/29] All pictures taken were either using Auto mode, HDR+ unless otherwise noted. I'm using a Manfrotto tripod from my DSLR for the night photos to keep the photos consistent. I took 5-10 photos for each scene and picked the best one from each phone before posting them here. I will provide a link to the full image located below so they can be viewed without the possibility of being downsized.

I did not edit any of the pictures, and both were taken with a 4:3 12MP setup for maximum resolution. I will add more photos throughout the next couple of days and post my comments as I go.

[2/29]: The 6P clearly is taking significantly better pictures so far. The S7E's photos look washed out despite having a 'better' sensor, so I hope Samsung addresses this issue promptly.

I stopped into my local Bestbuy and had a look at the S7E. I ordered a silver one for reference. I took some pictures side by side with the S7E and my 6P to see how the camera stacks up. I'm honestly surprised because I thought the 6P took better pictures, but this is only one scenario. I'll do a full write up when my S7E comes along with night photos and the works. Have a look at the few samples below and let me know what you think.

Off topic: let's try to keep things relatively on topic, no bashing or dumb arguing please. I am a Nexus fan, but I'm always open to trying new things. With that statement in mind let's have a nice discussion

Here's a link to all of the pictures on my Google drive (for the original pictures that I removed)
Here's a link to all of the pictures on my Google drive
Here is the link to the second set of photos

Here are the new pictures for the official review:
Official Comparison photos link

This 1 picture is the ONLY one that I took using a tripod

Picture #1

S7E

Nexus 6P

Picture #2

S7E

Nexus 6P

Picture #3

S7E

Nexus 6P

Picture #4

S7E

Nexus 6P

Picture #5

S7E

Nexus 6P

Picture #6

S7E

Nexus 6P

Picture #7

S7E

Nexus 6P

Picture #8

S7E

Nexus 6P

Picture #9

S7E

Nexus 6P

Picture #10

S7E

Nexus 6P

Picture #11

S7E

Nexus 6P

I wanted to share my impressions of the S7E after using it for a day of pictures. The S7E takes nice pictures when there is ample light, but the post processing usually causes the pictures to seem overexposed. The HDR mode also doesn't seem to make a big difference during normal shooting like it should (aka it doesn't bring out the dark areas/shadows well). I like how fast it focuses despite the often washed out colors it produces. I want to like the camera, but it's hard to really enjoy using it when the pictures are ok not great. The camera is still good by all means, yet it falls short most of the time compared to the 6P. I took a lot of pictures in less than ideal lighting while it was cold out this morning. The S7E should have an advantage because the camera has OIS, but the 6P still consistently produced better pictures. If Samsung doesn't address the short comings of the camera (which they are promoting heavily), then that might be a deal breaker for some people. I will post another update with more pictures after I use it some more later this week.

HDR Test: Here are some pictures that were requested with and without HDR and NO tripod.

HDR Test

HDR Test_1

S7E HDR

S7E NO HDR

Nexus 6P HDR

Nexus 6P NO HDR

HDR Test_2

S7E HDR

S7E NO HDR

Nexus 6P HDR

Nexus 6P NO HDR

[3/5] Update: Here are some pictures from Pittsburgh today including some panoramas. As per usual I also uploaded the images to the drive link above along with 2 videos (1 for each phone panning so you can see the difference OIS makes). Lastly, there are pictures I took tonight with the S7E using Auto, HDR, and Manual for the same scene.

Note: Please keep the discussion professional before mods have to clean up the comments.

Panorama

S7E Pano 1

S7E Pano 2

Nexus 6P Pano 1

Nexus 6P Pano 2

City

S7E City 1

S7E City 2

Nexus 6P City 1

Nexus 6P City 2

Manual Mode Test S7E:

S7E Auto No HDR

S7E HDR

S7E Manual

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Pilz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pilz Ad-Free
25th February 2016, 12:11 AM |#2  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 535

More
While both are excellent it appears the Samsung trumps the Nexus 6p which is not surprising. Text in the SAMSUNG pics are clearer with the exception of the first picture where maybe your hand wobbled , than the Nexus. Pictures seem a bit brighter with the Samsung . Either way I wouldn't be unhappy with either one of them as I do own nexus the Nexus and praise its camera. Just an FYI, many have determined if you upload a picture directly into XDA the quality suffers. Far better to use a third party app with a link.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
25th February 2016, 12:37 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Texas

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwebb

While both are excellent it appears the Samsung trumps the Nexus 6p which is not surprising. Text in the SAMSUNG pics are clearer with the exception of the first picture where maybe your hand wobbled , than the Nexus. Pictures seem a bit brighter with the Samsung . Either way I wouldn't be unhappy with either one of them as I do own nexus the Nexus and praise its camera. Just an FYI, many have determined if you upload a picture directly into XDA the quality suffers. Far better to use a third party app with a link.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'll happily link the images via Google drive for everyone to see. My hand was stable while taking the pictures and I took 5-6 of each scene and picked the best for each phone to upload. Personally the Samsung took pictures that were brighter but they look less natural. Look at the text on the Samsung display for example it's more clear and not washed out on the 6P's picture. I think the S7E has a lot of potential and I will gladly take tons of pictures when I get it in the coming weeks. I'll add them drive link to the OP so check back in about 5 min for it.

Edit: it's added to the OP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pilz Ad-Free
25th February 2016, 12:46 AM |#4  
Flag Clearwater, Florida
Thanks Meter: 274

More
I like the Nexus 6P pictures. Like the OP said, they look more natural.
25th February 2016, 12:51 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Texas

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2metz

I like the Nexus 6P pictures. Like the OP said, they look more natural.

The S7E takes HDR+ photos instantly which is nice, but the post processing is a little over the top. I took at least 200 pictures messing around and the 6P ones still look more natural. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it's am observation. I bought the S7E for the camera and waterproofing as a backup phone. I expected the camera to be a little better, but I'll wait until I have my unit in hand to make a final decision about it.
25th February 2016, 01:07 AM |#6  
Flag West Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 1,377

More
For what it's worth, I personally think the S7 took better pictures than the 6p - if you look specifically at the shots of the balloons and the one of the store - in both, the 6p is darker - while the S7 looks more natually light - both are excellent but IMHO the S7 looks better.

I have a 6p - and I love it - personally I always thought my Note 5 took better photos - and I was dissapointed that the S7 went down in size from 16mb on the note to 12mb on the S7 - but that pixel thing (double pixels) that samsung added to the S7 may actually make it better. Can't wait to get my hands on it...
The Following User Says Thank You to mocsab For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mocsab Ad-Free
25th February 2016, 01:30 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Interesting comparison.

Few observations:
- Looks like the white balance/colors look a bit more vibrant on the S7E (but perhaps not as real to life?)
- Maybe this is due to F1.7, but it seems that anything generating light seems to be blown out on the S7E (ie look at the ceiling lights, and lit up signs)
- The S7E pics look a bit blurry/not focus in a lot of the pictures, particularly in the background. Wonder why this is

I love both Nexus and Samsung devices so I find this comparison interesting, thanks OP. It's just odd because when I owned a 6p, I compared it against the S6 Edge and found the latter to take better pics.
25th February 2016, 01:42 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Best buys are highly lit. Nothing looks natural there. S7 pic looked much more accurate in my opinion. The balloon pic is no contest.
25th February 2016, 01:48 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Texas

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsab

For what it's worth, I personally think the S7 took better pictures than the 6p - if you look specifically at the shots of the balloons and the one of the store - in both, the 6p is darker - while the S7 looks more natually light - both are excellent but IMHO the S7 looks better.

I have a 6p - and I love it - personally I always thought my Note 5 took better photos - and I was dissapointed that the S7 went down in size from 16mb on the note to 12mb on the S7 - but that pixel thing (double pixels) that samsung added to the S7 may actually make it better. Can't wait to get my hands on it...

That's how the S7E would focus. I didn't enable touch to focus for to so I let the phone determine what to focus on and took the pictures. The 'double pixels' only refer to the focusing pixels. The 6P has a laser to assist with focusing, so both do a good job at acquiring a fast target. I noticed the S7E wouldn't focus when I put my finger within a inch or so of the sensor and the same is true of the 6P. I have a DSLR, so I never expect a phone to come close to that quality, depth of field etc.

TL,DR the double pixels are only there to focus and the 6P has bigger individual pixels than the S7. Check the IMX377 zenzor that's in the 6P vs the IMX260

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow82x

Interesting comparison.

Few observations:
- Looks like the white balance/colors look a bit more vibrant on the S7E (but perhaps not as real to life?)
- Maybe this is due to F1.7, but it seems that anything generating light seems to be blown out on the S7E (ie look at the ceiling lights, and lit up signs)
- The S7E pics look a bit blurry/not focus in a lot of the pictures, particularly in the background. Wonder why this is

I love both Nexus and Samsung devices so I find this comparison interesting, thanks OP. It's just odd because when I owned a 6p, I compared it against the S6 Edge and found the latter to take better pics.

It's possible the f1.7 takes in more light despite its smaller actual pixel size vs the IMX377. A lot of the issues could be post processing which Google doesn't really rely upon as much as other OEMs. The 6P has a great camera and I'm sure the S7E will too when I get it to really see how the performance is. I have no doubt that both phones will perform well, yet I'm left wondering about how the IMX260 will be at night conapred to the IMX377 (phones aside).

I will try to be as unbiased as I can be when responding. I've owned tons of phones (S3, Note 3, G3, S5, Moto X 2nd gen, Nexus 6, Zenphone 2, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P etc...), so I've seen all kinds of cameras. The S6/S6E/Note 5 did win when taking videos (6P sucks at die to only having EIS), and they day pxitures are great/on par with the 6P if not better on occasion. It was for a Nexus to take good pictures in general before this generation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pilz Ad-Free
25th February 2016, 11:18 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Thank you for the test.

It is however the AF, noise, dynamic range and colour accuracy under not-so-ideal lighting conditions that really shows if there is a big difference between the two.

ISO 1600, very low light, no flash, 1/10-1/30s shutter time.

If anybody can post such comparisons, make my day

Here's an ISO 1250 no-flash shot from GSM Arena test for S7:

http://cdn.gsmarena.com/imgroot/revi...marena_040.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to vasra For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vasra Ad-Free
25th February 2016, 11:48 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Not good for s7...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)