Ergonomics (in-hand feel)

Search This thread

dandv

Aug 6, 2006
California
wiki.dandascalescu.com
I've had the Edge for 9 months, and the "edge" part proved to be an annoying gimmick. It does make the phone look sleek, but every time I hand it to someone else to look at a picture, they end up accidentally touching something near the edge, most often the app switch button.

Also, when I take photos with one hand, my palm can touch the screen focus there; tapping the photo button won't register.

Bottom line - I would not buy an Edge again, but the regular version of the phone.

Reactions: broucker

harrymills

Jan 4, 2017
Have to say I agree with dandv and perpatoura. I bought the Edge because I figured more expensive has to be better right? Wrong. It was an interesting gimmick for a couple weeks but I'm so over it 5 months in. Ultimately I just don't think the functionality of any phone could justify needing the 'edge'. So no, the ergonomics are not good!

Reactions: broucker and dandv

Erik1805

Nov 12, 2012
Heerenveen
I bought the S7 Edge because of the bigger battery and screen. But i never use the edge features but really like the design. I don't use a case but just a Dbrand skin on the back. With case the phone does not handle well in the hand.

ssgunner20

Aug 17, 2010
Agree that its a bit uncomfortable hold. Iphone 6 plus was better to hold naked for me. I love the edge design n thats why i chose it. On the fence of running it naked cause it gdts a lil unconfortable and constantly tske off my tough armor spogen case. The the amount of times i drop it im glad i have the case on. I would definatley drop it without a case.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

I wonder how the note 7 felt naked? Considering waiting for the next note instead of the S8. We'll see.

dollar7

Apr 18, 2012
Cracow
S7edge feels really good in palm but typing makes me trouble sometimes cause of touching the edge. Generally I would say 9/10

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: dandv

duskdiyebiri

Jun 23, 2011
İzmir
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I don't care if this phone has edge screen or not. I chose this over S7 because of the bigger battery for all-day usage. Edge screen looks so cool but it's very expensive if screen's broken so I'm very very afraid. Unfortunately edge screen has less options for screen protectors.

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
The phone overall feels great, but it needs a case or at least a skin because the phone is very slippery. I normally opt for a case that has some texture for grip. I just ordered a Speck Grip case so I'll let you guys know how it's like.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

sYnced

Jul 17, 2014
3 Stars.

It´s slippery on the hand.
Too much glass feeling in my opinion.
Would be better if the back was of aluminum, as the iPhone, it would be heavier, but I could take that.

Reactions: broucker

Sir Hamude

Mar 16, 2017
For me it's unusable without a case.Before I bought one I could barely watch a video without accidentally touching the screen 30 times.

Reactions: obsydian

alpine101

Jan 28, 2012
Very pretty, and convenient to hold. And putting the fingerprint sensor on the front means that the back can have its internal QI charge pad even though I like the convenience of a rear sensor.. Switched all the edge stuff off, it's messy, but the phone still looks uniquely good because of the way the image curls round the edges. I always use my phones with a thin hard plastic transparent back case and the one I got is pretty good for a couple of dollars, though I'd like it to go a little bit more round the corners for drop protection. I've replaced Samsung's attempt at a launcher with Apex and Hololocker. Having watched the S8 rumours, I think the S7 Edge is a keeper. Though I would like to root it. Amusingly, following the nougat OTA update, my banking app has decided the phone is already rooted, which it isn't....

Last edited:

conflicting

Sep 18, 2007
Ergonomics are bad. Its impossible to properly operate with one hand without touching the edge. Bad design; form over function. When holding it in landscape mode, your right thumb becomes useless because youll hit the multitask button with your palm before touching the left side of the screen.
Btw my hands are large, but skinny.

I agree. this phone drives me crazy. I always hit the nearest icon with the palm of my hand while im typing (in swype keyboard) . wether its delete, happy faces, or enter. It absolutely drives me nuts. Im getting a different phone if I cant find a solution. i was thinking about taping the edges or something.

chaimss

Feb 14, 2010
It's a big phone, and combined with a slippery back it is comfortable hold, but really annoying to use without a case. Unless you use the one-handed mode (something I highly recommend) the heel of your hand will keep hitting things while your thumb is reaching for something else.

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
I can concur with others on only getting the edge variant for the larger screen and battery. Had the S7/S7 edge been the same size like the S6/S6 edge were, I'd have gone for the more traditional variant.

That said, I never use a phone naked. They always go in Otterbox Defenders as soon as I can get one (usually the same day). This time I had to wait a bit for the case, so I used it on its own, and it was mildly scary. Not as bad as my wife's iPhone 6S plus sans case, but close. That black glass backing is nice looking, and really makes it stand out, but it feels like one screw-up away from disaster.

It's also just slightly too wide for comfortable single-hand usage. The call accept button, for instance, is just a hair out of my thumb's reach, so I enabled the hardware button to answer calls in the accessibility menu.

Mar 30, 2017
Ergonomics are really bad in my opinion, every time i use my phone w/o cover (i have the original samsung leather cover that increase grip a little bit) i always press the edge screen.
For those who wants to increase in-hand feel and ergonomics, my advice is to put a cover on it :)

broucker

Nov 14, 2010
london
Bought the phone on black Friday.
I had to choose between this one and Xz1 compact. Unfortunately after reading so bad reviews on xz1 I decided to go with this 1 but it would have been so nicer ergonomics in the other 1.
I'm still afraid the day from when I'll drop it on concret.

Reactions: Salah.j

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ergonomics are bad. Its impossible to properly operate with one hand without touching the edge. Bad design; form over function. When holding it in landscape mode, your right thumb becomes useless because youll hit the multitask button with your palm before touching the left side of the screen.
    Btw my hands are large, but skinny.
    Only 3 stars from me for the way it stays in hand. Curved edges both sides make the phones edges sharp hence difficult to get a proper grip. Also double sided glass makes it slippery.
    Have to say I agree with dandv and perpatoura. I bought the Edge because I figured more expensive has to be better right? Wrong. It was an interesting gimmick for a couple weeks but I'm so over it 5 months in. Ultimately I just don't think the functionality of any phone could justify needing the 'edge'. So no, the ergonomics are not good!
    This phone just fits perfectly in your palm. The curved back makes a world of difference. However, it is slippery. I would love to keep this device naked, but it just doesn't seem like the best idea. Because of its glass back, it also is a fingerprint magnet.
    Bought the phone on black Friday.
    I had to choose between this one and Xz1 compact. Unfortunately after reading so bad reviews on xz1 I decided to go with this 1 but it would have been so nicer ergonomics in the other 1.
    I'm still afraid the day from when I'll drop it on concret.