Overall love

Search This thread

harrymills

Jan 4, 2017
If I could go back I'd have bought the regular S7. However, I love the OS, it has quick charge 3.0 and the camera's frighteningly good. Just make sure you need the 'Edge'.

Bawb3

Dec 1, 2010
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Went with the s7e after being forced to exchange my perfectly good Note 7. This phone lags, gets super hot, and doesn't feel anywhere as nice. Thanks Samsung.

On the upside, it's easier to use with one hand. And I'll actually get updates that aren't trying to disable my phone.

Last edited:

MrMestiri

May 23, 2016
If you get a well manufactured unit, it will be your best experience. But if you have the bad luck to buy one of the faulty units you'll never buy a Samsung again.

anubius

Jul 3, 2008
Lviv
Excellent phone. Kind of miss IR controller a bit and not being able to put on screen protector that would not come off in time is a bit annoying. The rest is just pure joy.

MasterTB

Jan 10, 2011
Paraná
Returned to samsung from a very long hiatus after owning, what for me was their best phone -the galaxy s2-, couldn't be more pleasantly surprised.

amorosa

Feb 15, 2014
Quic Charge 3.0 ? I thought my S7 Edge (Exynos) have the Adaptive Fast Charge Mode. I thought you cannot use Quiccharge 2.0 or 3.0.

Is it realy compatible to Quiccharge 3.0 ? I dont think so. I heared something about Quiccharge 2.0 or they sayd, that the Adaptive Fast Charging Mode is same fast like Quiccharge 2.0 ?

Can somebody clear this Situation ?

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
I wouldn't say "love", but I'm growing to like it. My last Samsung device was a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (i727). I departed for HTC after the epic fail that was the i727 Jelly Bean official release. I will say that I love my HTC One M8, despite its lackluster camera and quirky Sense UI, largely due to the speakers (still the best I've found on a phone) and the ability to S-off, which gives full control over the device.

I have much more mixed feelings about the S7 Edge. Before I begin, I will say that I went with the edge variant of the S7 because of the larger battery and display. I actually felt the "edge" was a gimmick - net negative, not a positive, and I'm still not sold on it. However, that said, it hasn't been as bad as I imagined. It really only causes problems when I'm trying to use the onscreen keyboard. The added battery life makes up for it, though. I still don't feel like the S7 has "great" battery life, but I'm not nearly as paranoid as I have been in the past about it.

However, despite not being sure about the edge feature, I do love the way the phone looks - I got the Onyx version, and combined with the AMOLED's deep blacks, the phone looks amazing. I put it in an Otterbox defender, so I don't see the glass black, but it is a gorgeous device still. The solid black glass front is classy looking.

I also love the camera on this phone. It is actually better than the camera on my wife's iPhone 6S plus - and she was envious when I started taking better shots than she was. (Her phone was the reigning champ before due to the One M8's not so hot camera) Everything about taking and manipulating pictures is worlds better. I'm truly impressed by this phone's picture taking capabilities. The low-light capability is astounding and the AF is very fast. Definitely one of the perks of getting a Samsung flagship.

I'm not so fond of stock launchers, so Nova Launcher is my first install. I noticed that the TouchWiz home was improved, but not nearly enough to make me actually use it. Thus, I only interacted with the stock launcher for about 5 minutes. However, I dumped the Sense launcher as well - I just prefer NL. So, no comment on that. However, most of the stock apps are actually usable, which is nice. I've started using the built-in Memo app, music player, etc. instead of the third party apps I replaced all of the stock HTC stuff with. The major exception is the mail client, which is broken for me. Otherwise, I really like a lot of the stock Samsung stuff. Samsung Pay, in particular, has been fun to play with.

I also really like the thumbprint reader. It was one of the few features on my wife's phone that I was envious of, as it makes unlocking the device and signing into things SO much easier. The S7's reader is quick and accurate, and easily as good as TouchID. It does miss occasionally, but overall I have come to really like it. I wouldn't have bought it for the reader, but I've come to use it a LOT.

The phone app itself is a bit annoying, but only because I'm right-handed. However, the phone app on the M8 was also annoying, so that's a wash. In the case of the S7, the answer button is just outside of reach of my thumb, so I turned on the hardware answer functions. It's different from what I'm used to but it works reasonably well. Obviously this is a common problem, as there is a special mode just for this. I knew this going in, though, as I played with the phone in the store. It's just part of owning a "large" phone.

The loudspeaker, however, was a real disappointment coming from the One M8, though I recognize that those were probably the best speakers anyone has ever put in a phone. That said, the S7's speaker is so much worse that I had to change my ring tone because it sounded more like a death rattle than a song. Not a biggie, and it works fine as a speakerphone, but definitely not one of this device's finer attributes. At least the headphone DAC is solid.

Perhaps most disappointing, however, is all of the customization options that have been neutered by Samsung. Basic stuff, like themes and fonts are now out of reach unless you want to buy stuff in their Galaxy Apps store. I guess I was spoiled by Sense, where you could do all of that for free and install any font you like. The font situation in particular is horrendous, as you can ONLY install monotype licensed fonts from the Galaxy store, and they barely have any decent fonts! Even repackaging the stock Android fonts would be an improvement. It feels very iPhone like in that regard, and I'm not thrilled with the direction Samsung has gone. It's not enough to make me hate my phone, but it sure took the shine off and dropped me from "love" to "It's a nice device - I'm sort of fond of it"

I feel like this device could be a phone I could love, but there are just too many rough edges or things that rub me the wrong way. It feels like Samsung is trying to copy all of Apple's shtick, right down to the annoying bits.

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
Switching to the U firmware boosted my impression of the S7 edge a lot. It is amazing what a difference it makes as it now has the smoothness and speed I was expecting.

Boomboxcafe23

Jul 14, 2017
S7 Edge is not my favorite, but it is fast and great HD quality vid. I miss my S6 with an IR receiver that could remote control everything!!

Reactions: godsila

rizwan312

Aug 13, 2015
Dhaka
my first ever samsung and i'm simply loving it souuu much. it's a beauty to say the least. first 2-3days i had a little trouble adjusting my fingers to edge/near edge typing but then i got used to it and now it's all good.

techeligible3322

Aug 14, 2017
Riyadh
www.techeligible.com
Galaxy S7 Edge no Doubt Stylish Phone

Apart from its battery explosion, overall this device is marvelous in design structure, the edge style was a unique concept of samsung galaxy, that really caught consumers attraction, and now Galaxy S8 and S8 plus has come to full fill more requirement for consumers

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
Ok, I'm going to have to amend my comment. Something has happened with the Nougat builds that makes the onscreen keyboard a complete PITA to use. It ignores keypresses a lot, which is strange because the actual hardware is fine (I did a calibration on the touch screen and it came back fine). Unfortunately, the keyboard is now so hard to use that I find myself secretly contemplating switching over to my wife's iPhone 6S plus when she upgrades this summer - it's THAT bad.

Jeez, Samsung, how hard is it to keep the freaking keyboard lag under control?

Biregani

Aug 1, 2017
It's a great phone. I used to love it when I bought it and I still do. But after seeing the Note 8, I think I'm going to cheat on my phone ?. Even S9 and S9+ couldn't win my heart but Note 8 means something else to me.

BitPlease

Mar 3, 2018
besides color, i think everything else is what i looked for in a phone.

I see international versions had different colors than the ones in US. I mean why do samsung do that? I love the international versions because of the leeway they provide.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

I came from an S5. Huge update, very impressed. Best phone I've ever had.

No regrets here either!

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

my first ever samsung and i'm simply loving it souuu much. it's a beauty to say the least. first 2-3days i had a little trouble adjusting my fingers to edge/near edge typing but then i got used to it and now it's all good.

You should try Samsung Galaxy S8 ACTIVE. It's really good when it comes to screen edges as it has almost NONE

pingufanpoy

Feb 18, 2018
wish it had ir emitter and better speakers
everyone is amazed when they see it
looking at the back when its cleaned looks like your rich as f***
great display too

just got a used exnyos for 300 dollars used no dents or scratches

loving the quality on it
its like no one has ever seen a curved screen smart phone before

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it. :eek:

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
    Coming from a Note 4, this thing feels great (but Note 4 was nice). This is an upgrade in everyway, except for no S pen, which i did not use too much. This phone should last me a while, lovin it.
    My Verizon S7E will be 4 years old this weekend (4/10/20). Looks brand new, runs smooth as silk (once I rooted and debloated it), and has never given me one ounce of trouble. The only thing that wore out was the charging cable and that is not the phones fault. I will continue to use this phone until it finally kicks the bucket.

God help me then, for I have no idea what will be a worthy replacement as I have no use for all the gimmicky crap being offered these days (another topic entirely).

Viva la S7edge!
    First phone in ages that got me realy exited, and after a week of usage,, still amazed!

LOVE IT !
    It's with a slightly (very) heavy heart I write this one. My S7 Edge will soon be retired and replaced by a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S, which went on sale today and I picked up a Fan Special Edition for £200 delivered. It's true that we truly do live with our phones and my device has been through thick and thin with me, both in life and the phone-world.

I'm aware this thread hasn't been replied to since May 2018.... that's almost 2 years.... and the fact it's been so long and my overall love for this device has only wavered briefly, just shows how special this device was/is.

I was lucky enough to get my S7 Edge just a month or two after it came out in 2016 for the measly sum of £350 (the best £350 I've probably ever spent). Friend of mine got one from work but as an iPhone user, simply couldn't adapt and as such, unlocked it and sold it to me, for the price Music Magpie (a shady recycling firm in the UK) offered him.

Other than the Nexus 4, I'd never really owned a premium flagship, but even the N4 wasn't really a premium flagship. The N4 was a flagship yes, but there were corners cut to achieve that great price (I think I paid £319 for it brand new on the day of release). I got my S7 Edge setup, and realised I had the real deal. Everything was perfect on this phone. Class-leading camera, insane speed, a perfect screen and a true killer in the phone world.

Early on, I suffered the purple strip down the right hand side which many of the early models suffered. Samsung were gracious enough to replace the screen for free, despite no proof of purchase or warranty documentation.

My life went through a bit of turmoil in 2017 and 2018 and yet the one dependable thing I could rely on was my S7 Edge. It never failed. I took it abroad on work trips, holidays and football away day tours and it took a bit of battering.... case on yes, but it was dropped and thrown about a bit (it once fell out of my pocket and fell down the steps of the Crystal Palace away stand ... and still survived).

In 2019, I tried to use adopted storage with BlackDiamond after a factory reset but after a few months I started to feel like maybe the S7 Edge was nearing the end.... little did I realise the lagginess, bugginess and crashes were pretty much entirely caused by the adopted storage (imo). So with one last roll of the dice, I flashed Galaxy Note Fan Edition ROM and opted against adopted storage. Since then, it's felt like a brand new phone. Never lagging. Never struggling my every day needs and I had no plans to get rid of this phone. I would have happily used it for another year until 5G finally became a necessity.

Sadly, all that changed a few weeks ago. Not sure whether it was dropped or just had finally given up but the OLED screen began flashing badly and has only been getting worse since. It can be used only on full brightness otherwise the screen flickers intensely and even on full brightness one half of the screen is very temperamental. Tried to hold on, but I decided it's time to retire it and make it a very trusty backup phone.

So, the S7 Edge is on it's final weeks till retirement. It'll be a sad sayonara to the best phone I've ever owned (by miles...)