Helium backup

Search This thread

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
Well getting my device tomorrow. Hopefully helium backup will work on it when I get it. Currently don't work with nexus 6 though. Helium backup is a great app for migrating app data to new devices. Test it out if you haven't yet.

mcwoods

May 17, 2008
I have used helium in the past and loved it. It allows you to back up saved data as well which sets it apart from the improved Android re-install.

I will use it again when mine comes back. In fact it was on my todo list to back it up today in preperation. I am not sure when my Verizon edge 7 will be here..... but I ordered in the first 10 minutes so hopefully I will be in first batch shipped and get my middle of this week...... Fingers crossed!

tiskewlio

Jun 23, 2010
Nope. No root needed. Fantastic for changing devices or when you are a flashoholic.
Just need a computer to enable it when you use it.
Tested it with my s7e,and it works perfectly.

Yep, I love the way helium deals with backups and whatnot. I flash my devices atleast once a week and it's been fine. Glad to hear that the s7 is no different, though it's not really a surprise since it runs M and firmware wise isn't much different from the current ones.

MattyDip

Dec 12, 2011
On my Galaxy S6 wit Marshmallow Helium Backup is working. Hopefully it will be the same on the S7 Edge. Let us know.:good:

ahrion

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Jul 19, 2013
How do I make helium work on the S7 with a Mac??

Michael_P

Jun 3, 2012
I've got it working and connected to S5 but for some reason my S7 won't connect to the Helium desktop even after enabling USB debugging and trying in both MTP and PTP modes.
All I can guess is driver issues but the ADB drivers from CWM say they're for all Samsung models.

kevinbakon

Apr 29, 2010
Houston
Don't forget about Samsung Smart Switch if your transferring apps etc if you don't get Hellium working

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Glad you brought this up... I'm finally getting my S7E tomorrow... I am torn between Helium and Samsung Smart Switch.
I've used Helium in the past for other phones and the only down side is that it doesn't backup 100% of the apps (not all apps work)

Can anyone speak to the Samsung Smart Switch software and process?? Does it work as easily as one would hope? Does it generally backup 100% of apps and their associated data?

Any chance someone has used both and has any feedback on which method is best, fastest, all inclusive and streamlined?

Thanks much!

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

After doing a little research, it looks like SSS doesn't backup app data (there might be a cloud option via Dropbox/Drive/Box).
So it looks like either Helium or via SDK (below)
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-create-a-full-backup-of-your-android-device-without-root/

Any thoughts?

talhamid

Jun 18, 2010
Good news: Helium works almost perfectly. Samsung have done a lot of good past year for the PC side of things - SmartSwich and SideSync are very good. I had no difficulty in attaching the S7 via USB debugging and enabling Helium on Windows 10. Worked the first time. There are limitations - some apps don't allow Helium to back them up, they still remain.

Also, Samsung's own USB-to-USB restore is also nice, but it doesn't copy app data, though arguably it is the fastest way for other stuff. It even picked up the wallpaper from Lines icon pack I had from my S6 Edge + and had it applied - impressive. It didn't change the default launcher to Nova though and also didn't restore any settings or configurations.

ALERT: There will be errors. It is best advised to uncheck the apps causing the error. Also, some apps will APPEAR to restore but won't have their data. A second attempt will bring back the data.

Samsung Smart Switch is nice, but I found that while it backs up apps, it doesn't restore them. However it is a very good solution for non-app data such as Pics.

Also, AVOID restoring Kobo and Zinio, they just hang. Best to install afresh.

My advice: First restore through USB-to-USB restore - all the apps and stuff. On the second run through restore data through Helium.

Last edited:

xmind2006

Oct 13, 2006
worked for me to create a new backup on my new phone, then copy over all the backup folders from my old device's carbon folder, then finally a full restore with Helium. Took the phone a little time, but pretty easy and not much time requirement from me to do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nope. No root needed. Fantastic for changing devices or when you are a flashoholic.
    Good news: Helium works almost perfectly. Samsung have done a lot of good past year for the PC side of things - SmartSwich and SideSync are very good. I had no difficulty in attaching the S7 via USB debugging and enabling Helium on Windows 10. Worked the first time. There are limitations - some apps don't allow Helium to back them up, they still remain.

Also, Samsung's own USB-to-USB restore is also nice, but it doesn't copy app data, though arguably it is the fastest way for other stuff. It even picked up the wallpaper from Lines icon pack I had from my S6 Edge + and had it applied - impressive. It didn't change the default launcher to Nova though and also didn't restore any settings or configurations.

ALERT: There will be errors. It is best advised to uncheck the apps causing the error. Also, some apps will APPEAR to restore but won't have their data. A second attempt will bring back the data.

Samsung Smart Switch is nice, but I found that while it backs up apps, it doesn't restore them. However it is a very good solution for non-app data such as Pics.

Also, AVOID restoring Kobo and Zinio, they just hang. Best to install afresh.

My advice: First restore through USB-to-USB restore - all the apps and stuff. On the second run through restore data through Helium.
    For those who can't connect to the desktop application, here is how I did it :
    - Install the Android SDK and driver
    - Make sure the Helium desktop application is not running
    - Enable USB Debugging on the phone (there was no need to switch to PTP for me)
    - Plug the phone in the PC
    - Open a command-line prompt
    - type 'cd %LocalAppData%\Android\sdk\platform-tools'
    - then type 'adb devices' (this starts the ADB daemon and detect the phone)
    - on the phone, reply to the popup by authorizing your PC to debug the phone
    - check on the return of 'adb devices' that your phone was detected
    - Now, start the Helium desktop application

As a conclusion, I'm thinking that the Helium desktop application does not start the ADB daemon or does not trigger the authorization popup on the phone.

Hope it works for you too.

Really true..! It works great..! One of my favourite app :)
    :D
    I made a post about Helium not backing up seemingly 'local' data from Temple Run 2 here. Would love to hear if people have some suggestions on how I can do a complete backup, not just stuff that usually syncs through Google Games.

I have also asked koush but not holding my breath.

Do a manual backup ;)
    In Android folder - com.imangi temple run - files, there's a file named gamedata.txt! It contains all the info of your account and money and gems. Keep a copy safe in a backup folder.
    Then copy/overwrite the gamedata.txt in the Android folder whenever you want!