FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Bixby voice assistant

120 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By kobejor, Senior Member on 13th December 2018, 09:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anyone had tried to used bixby voice?it is working to a5 device?

15th December 2018, 12:34 PM |#2  
Flag Musile di Piave
Thanks Meter: 28

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobejor

Yes, It works
18th December 2018, 10:02 PM |#3  
Sheffield
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:

Go to Galaxy Apps, search for Bixby Home and look at the Most Recent reviews. For the most part they're terrible. I'd recommend Google Assistant. I've been using it for a while since getting a smart speaker that also uses it. Does everything (?) Bixby is supposed to do and it's terrific. My married daughter (yeah I'm not young) also uses it. She said: "Hey Google add coffee to my shopping list." It did. She didn't even have a shopping list. It created one, and put coffee on it.
20th December 2018, 07:23 PM |#4  
Flag Musile di Piave

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbynista

Go to Galaxy Apps, search for Bixby Home and look at the Most Recent reviews. For the most part they're terrible. I'd recommend Google Assistant. I've been using it for a while since getting a smart speaker that also uses it. Does everything (?) Bixby is supposed to do and it's terrific. My married daughter (yeah I'm not young) also uses it. She said: "Hey Google add coffee to my shopping list." It did. She didn't even have a shopping list. It created one, and put coffee on it.

You can't install Bixby from Galaxy Apps. You must install it from internet by dowloading files and doing some long things. Maybe u installed a chinese version of Bixby.
20th December 2018, 10:02 PM |#5  
Sheffield

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davide121123

You can't install Bixby from Galaxy Apps.

I didn't say you could. I simply said that the reviews there are, for the most part, terrible.
Quote:

Maybe u installed a chinese version of Bixby.

I haven't even tried to install an English version, much less the Chinese one. Why would I when the reviews are, for the most part, terrible, and all I know about Chinese (Mandarin) is the words for beer and thank you (I got by on the essentials when I was there...).
20th December 2018, 10:05 PM |#6  
Flag Musile di Piave

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I didn't say you could. I simply said that the reviews there are, for the most part, terrible.

I haven't even tried to install an English version, much less the Chinese one. Why would I when the reviews are, for the most part, terrible, and all I know about Chinese (Mandarin) is the words for beer and thank you (I got by on the essentials when I was there...).

You didn't catch what I was referring to with "chinese version". I was saying about non-original version of Bixby. Try Bixby witn a S8/S9/N8/N9 and you'll change your mind. Trust me.
20th December 2018, 10:24 PM |#7  
Sheffield

More
Quote:

You didn't catch what I was referring to with "chinese version". I was saying about non-original version of Bixby. Try Bixby witn a S8/S9/N8/N9

Unless I'm much mistaken this forum is for the Galaxy A5 2017. That's what I'm using. I'm unlikely to buy an S8/S9/N8/N9 just to see whether all the people who give Bixby terrible reviews are wrong.
Quote:

and you'll change your mind.

It's not my mind that needs to change. It's the minds of all the people who give it terrible reviews. As I say I haven't even tried to install it. I have Google Assistant on my phone and a smart speaker and it's terrific.
21st December 2018, 01:03 AM |#8  
Sheffield

More
Going back to the original question:
Quote:

Leaving this aside:
Quote:

Yes, It works

This is what Samsung say:
* Currently available with Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/Note8/S8/S8+.
https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/bixby/
So the answer is: No. It doesn't work on the A5.
There is a terrific ROM for the A5 2017 developed by Corsicanu which incorporates many features of the S8. This is what he says re Bixby Voice on A5 2017:
About bixby voice, samsung changed some things in Oreo, probably to be sure we can't use it anymore on non bixby devices, so it will never work properly for 2 reasons:
- this rom keeps the device props of A8, A8 doesn't have bixby voice so bixby voice doesn't show up at all;
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sam...5#post77449715
You want Bixby Voice? Here you go:
Quote:

You can't install Bixby from Galaxy Apps. You must install it from internet by dowloading files and doing some long things.

We're not told what these 'long things' are.

On the other hand you can simply install Google Assistant:
Hey Google: Add coffee to my shopping list
Hey Google: What's the weather forecast?
Hey Google: Remember that I parked on the first floor of the car park in space 345.
Hey Google: Where did I park my car?
You told me you parked on the first floor of the car park in space 345
Hey Google: What's two beers please in Mandarin?
Want that in writing? No problem:
请两瓶啤酒
Handles over 100 languages. Going abroad? Got data or wi-fi? Think about it...
Forget about 'dowloading files and doing some long things'. Google Assistant is terrific.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corbynista For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Corbynista Ad-Free
21st December 2018, 07:00 AM |#9  
Flag Musile di Piave

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Going back to the original question:

Leaving this aside:

This is what Samsung say:
* Currently available with Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/Note8/S8/S8+.
https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/bixby/
So the answer is: No. It doesn't work on the A5.
There is a terrific ROM for the A5 2017 developed by Corsicanu which incorporates many features of the S8. This is what he says re Bixby Voice on A5 2017:
About bixby voice, samsung changed some things in Oreo, probably to be sure we can't use it anymore on non bixby devices, so it will never work properly for 2 reasons:
- this rom keeps the device props of A8, A8 doesn't have bixby voice so bixby voice doesn't show up at all;
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sam...5#post77449715
You want Bixby Voice? Here you go:

We're not told what these 'long things' are.

On the other hand you can simply install Google Assistant:
Hey Google: Add coffee to my shopping list
Hey Google: What's the weather forecast?
Hey Google: Remember that I parked on the first floor of the car park in space 345.
Hey Google: Where did I park my car?
You told me you parked on the first floor of the car park in space 345
Hey Google: What's two beers please in Mandarin?
Want that in writing? No problem:
请两瓶啤酒
Handles over 100 languages. Going abroad? Got data or wi-fi? Think about it...
Forget about 'dowloading files and doing some long things'. Google Assistant is terrific.

Yeah I know that Google Assistant is good. But I used bixby a lot on this phone and trust me, it can do a lot of things. Anyway If you want so choose bixby voice than use a supported phone. Now I'm switching to iPhone with Siri. So I don't care anymore about this Voice Assistant Battle Royale like Google Assistant, Bixby, Amazon echo etc...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)