[REQUEST](A3 2016) Icon masking on A Series 2016 Nougat

Search This thread

CryoManne

Jan 14, 2015
A Series 2017 Marshmallow and S6/S7/S8 Nougat framework has an interesting feature of icon masking. I thought that A Series 2016 Nougat update will bring slightly reduced framework from flagships. However in A Series Nougat framework icons are left in border instead of masking
View attachment 4207957
Is it possible to implement that feature on Ax 2016 Nougat framework (especially A3 2016 Nougat)?
Custom Marshmallow ROMs (2017 Ports) successfully masks the icons. Do any custom Nougat ROMs have this feature already implemented?

I think that feature is hidden (or deleted) in "android/app/ApplicationPackageManager" class because this only file that links to masking image, but I dunno how to edit .smali code and i dunno which code I need to copy from flagships' .smali

Can you give me a link to Nougat ROMs that already have masking icons or help me bringing that feature to our framework.

Mikkel Nf

Dec 8, 2016
Advanced seven rom already has that.. i ported it to a3 and of course it has icon masking, but the framework.jar of advanced seven has problem for a3, power menu wont appears if hold power button and phone will reboot itself, so in my ported rom im using other framework.jar which is doesnt have both power menu issue and icon masking feature. The thing is i tried using applicationmanager.smali from advanced seven but still got nothing

CryoManne

Jan 14, 2015
Advanced seven rom already has that.. i ported it to a3 and of course it has icon masking, but the framework.jar of advanced seven has problem for a3, power menu wont appears if hold power button and phone will reboot itself, so in my ported rom im using other framework.jar which is doesnt have both power menu issue and icon masking feature. The thing is i tried using applicationmanager.smali from advanced seven but still got nothing

How about to port it from "Arrived Sapphire ROM" (Adv. Five)? A5 is more relative to A3 than A7, as I think and Sapphire has masking as I know

Mikkel Nf

Dec 8, 2016
How about to port it from "Arrived Sapphire ROM" (Adv. Five)? A5 is more relative to A3 than A7, as I think and Sapphire has masking as I know
Of course it does, but i tried its framework in my ported rom, still has power menu issue, someone has already ported arrived sapphire anyway, it called UnderWorld rom

CryoManne

Jan 14, 2015
Of course it does, but i tried its framework in my ported rom, still has power menu issue, someone has already ported arrived sapphire anyway, it called UnderWorld rom

Is there any way to try UnderWorld framework on deodexed stock Nougat? I just know that is not simply "adb copy framework to system", need more files and something else, but I want to try it.
Also I try to import ApplicationPackageManager.smali to stock framework to see.

UPD: I've copied all of UnderWorld's ApplicatonPackageManager$****.smali files, but icons still not masking. I am still trying to find a way to unify icons (csc/appresource is not working on Nougat)

UPD2: I found that .smalis in Underworld almost same except for ".line vXX" strings before every method in stock framework

UPD3: Copying .smalis from Sapphire crashed my installation again, I have dropped my idea and got upset, now I am just waiting for man that can port S8 framework to A3 2016 that already ported to A5 and A7

P.S.: I have already bootlooped my phone by simply copying framework.jar and -res.apk via adb. I got bootloop and after I returned my stock files I got "Unfortunately stopped" and black screen (but reboot menu still works). Wipe data helped me, but I hate that long restoring data procedure

Last edited:

CryoManne

Jan 14, 2015
I see that advanced three has been updated and I see on screenshots that icon masking has been implemented. How did you get this? How to port it to stock rom?

Using DiffMerge I compared both of frameworks - stock deodexed and advanced three 3.5 and I see that ApplicationPackageManager has much more differences than others (other classes just adding multiwindow feature). I found that PackageIconHelper used to draw custom Play Store icon and ApplicationPackageManager used to mask icons. I cannot just copy that class from adv to stock because class could link to resources that does not exist on stock
Another way - I should replace framework.jar, framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk to make this thing works. Or not?
Please help me. Maybe there is another way to implement this feature on stock ROM?

P.S.: I have another question. To install and mod deodexed system app on odexed ROM, I just replace apk and remove odex/oat file. What I need to do with FRAMEWORK, or I need fully deodexed ROM for modding framework? I just dont want to play with custom ROMs because Android Pay and I dont want to install Magisk for that